Pug 106GTI

Snail

I used to have a Saxo VTR - which is (as near as dammit) a 106 anyway and i really loved it. The chassis is top notch but just lacking a little in the power side of things. I'd love to have tried out a VTS/106 GTI cos i've heard that they are supposed to be very rapid. I miss mine too frown.gif

what fun your missed!!! berty (from this forum) used to have a BMW 325i Sport, and at legal speeds the GTI could give him a run for his money. (over about 80 the Beemer would whip the GTI)

Had some serious fun in those before we became tractor drivers.

my 106gti was ace! i loved it. you could tape any corner at any speed and it would just go round. lift of a little and the backend follows the car round.

never driven a car so fast so often. much rarer than saxos too. check out autotraders website. there are loads really cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

I'd love to have tried out a VTS/106 GTI cos i've heard that they are supposed to be very rapid.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Ex had a VTS. Used to borrow it (obviously) regulary. I had a GSi Vectra (200bhp) at the time and the Saxo was well quicker around town. Struggled on straight runs though. Not a bad little car. Quite nippy and good chassis, just a little too cheaply put together on the inside for my liking. Few rattles and squeaks and quite a hard ride for a brand new car. This was before the Nova/Saxo brigade could afford to buy them. Bit of a image problem attached now though...

Was fun at the time. (So was the Car tongue.gif)

just brought one (106 GTI 2000Xreg) as a second car to go with my S3. Having to move out of town hence need for second car for the wife, although I'll probably use the Pug for work myself. I'll see how it compares to the Audi and my previous cars - 172 and 1.9 205 GTI.

Tom

• 5 months later...

Although I never had the GTi, for insurance purposes (I was 19), I got a 2000 1.1 (60bhp) which I lowered and put some 15" alloys on. This made the cars' handling so good, I never in two years lost control. And I tried... hard!

If any of your mates wont believe you, show them the video 'Apocalypse - Jeremy Clarkson'. In this Clarkson, Richard Burns & Tim Harvey test a group of world class sports cars to find the best 'HANDLING', and find that the 106 GTi comes in 2nd place!! Just behind the Ferrari 550!! Beating; Skyline, F355, 911, NSX, M3, Elise and Golf VR6!

Says a lot. Great car. <font color="blue"> </font>

post-2793-137914256871_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Can you see 106's on pugs website sven? UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you can... not sure if you can understand it though, as it's in Dutch... linky

Extract with some translation:

<ul type="square">

Model gegevens

Peugeot 106, 3 deurs GTI 1.6-16V

Technische gegevens

Rijklaar gewicht: 925 kg = kerb weight

Max. vermogen/omw.: 120pk (87kW)/6600 = bhp

Max. koppel/omw.: 145Nm/5200 = torque

Topsnelheid: 205 km/u = top speed

Gem. brandstofverbruik: 8,5 l/100 km = average fuel cons.

Gem. brandstofverbruik: 11,8 km/l (ditto)

Emissie CO2: 201 gr/km

Standaard uitrusting = standard

Achterbank in twee delen (40/60) neerklapbaar = 2 part foldable rear seat

Achterspoiler in kleur carrosserie = color coded rear spoiler

Airbag bestuurder = driver airbag

Audiosysteem RD1

Centrale vergrendeling deuren en bagageruimte met afstandsbediening = central lock w remote

Elektrisch bedienbare voorportierruiten = leccy windows

Elektronische toerenteller = RPM

Kuipstoelen voor = bucketseats

Lichtmetalen velgen = alloys

Passagiersairbag = pass. airbag

Side-protection paddings in de voorportieren = (...) in doors

Spatbordverbreders en zijskirts in kleur carrosserie = skirts + arches colour coded

Sportbumpers in kleur carrosserie met zwarte stootlijst = color coded bumpers w black insert

Stuurbekrachtiging = power steering

Verstralers in sportbumper voor = high beam "fog lights" in bumper

Extra's tegen meerprijs = options

ABS-remsysteem = ABS brake system

Airconditioning

Alcantara/leer pakket = Alc./leather

Dubbele zij-airbags voor = dual side airbags

Elektrisch bedienbare spiegels met verwarming = leccy mirrors, heated.

Glazen schuif/kanteldak = glass sunroof - tilt/slide

Hoofdsteunen achter = headreasts aft.

Vernis metaallak = clearcoat metallic

Vernislak zwart = ,, black

Then there is www.peugeot.com which is in English a.o. but they don't offer any specs AFAIK, but you can see those rotating interior and exterior pics...