Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rowley

Not happy

68 posts in this topic

There is a difference about Xenon bulbs and Xenon lights. The lights work with some sort of gas. Im sure someone with more knowledge will explain...I was told the difference once, but I wasn't listening very well... slap.gif

Thanks DB6 - we are all ears then for the experts to interject and inform us..

I had not considered the Zenon Bulbs Vs Zenon Lights thing so I guess we must be getting something extra for our cash.

BTW it's Xenon not Zenon.

The replacement bulbs are filled with Xenon gas as opposed to Halogen gas, emit brighter whiter light and offer a good halfway house between regular bulbs and full Xenon lights.

BTW, i have a feeling that VW use Xenon bulbs in their cars anyway, might be worth double checking.

The xenon lights (factory fit) have a totally different lens set up, which is why by law you need headlight washers with them too.

it's not just a different bulb as the xenon option is HID xenons.

High Intensity Discharge (HID) is a new type of lighting technology that's primarily different from the conventional halogen bulbs that use a heated tungsten filament. Unlike Halogen lamps, High-Intensity-Discharge (HID) lamps don't have a filament but create light by the arc between two electrodes. The arc activates the Xenon, which in turn ignites the metal halide. The light produced by an HID Xenon lighting system is greater than a standard halogen bulb and with less power consumption. On the road, HID Xenon lighting systems appear as a bright white beam which resembles natural daylight. The bright white beam offers greater visibility and road safety.

In an HID Xenon lighting system, the voltage between the two electrodes rises firstly from 12V to 23000V and keeps stable at 8000V by using the Xenon HID ballasts system. Due to the ultra high voltage, the Xenon gas ionises and a super-bright beam is produced, whose colour temperature is up to 12000K. The HID Xenon lighting is much more economic, more stable and brighter than conventional vehicle lighting.

Great info patsy! (and Welcome to this forum) HID Xenon being "more economic, more stable, and brighter" does it for me! Resembling natural daylight is also a big winner! 169144-ok.gif

12000K is lot!! Direct sunlight is aparently 5300Kelvins and daylight is about 6000Kelvins.

[ QUOTE ]

TSN is also the reason why I knew a whole lot more about the GTI than the salesman when I went to order 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as me. 169144-ok.gif I even had to tell him what ESP was! smashfreakB.gif

I take it then xenon replacements aren't covered under the 3 year warrenty or any vw maintainance package then?

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

Mate, if they don't have a slot, they won't even order your car until at least january. And then all dealers will have allocation... which means there should be lots of discounts around! 169144-ok.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I think we may wait to order our other GTI till Jan if this maybe the case also meens we get the bad weather over before the car arrives.

Any idea how this allocation thing works and how Jan maybe better time to order and get discount?. Its got me a bit confused. confused.gif

Are some dealers not already selling there jan allocation in advance or are dealers getting more allocation next year so will have more cars to sell? I thought dealers got so many a month to sell and thats it so im a bit confused how January will be any different? confused.gif

As you can see this has me a bt puzzled.

Geoff.

not wanting to sound boring or like a salesman (the latter I'm certainly not)...but you could try select !

because they order through a large german dealer, there might not be such a problem with availabile slots, plus it will be cheaper, and you'll want to spec it to the hilt!

VW allocate X amount of GTI's to the UK every year. 2005 is pretty much sold out so dealers are taking pre orders for 06 allocation. However they won't actually be able to put the order in until Jan 2006 when they officially get their slots.

At this point slots will be rife so dealers will naturally have more room to manouver (it's econmics/supply and demand). If you can hold out till jan, it might be worth it - especially keep an eye on Drive the Deal!

[ QUOTE ]

....or are dealers getting more allocation next year so will have more cars to sell? I thought dealers got so many a month to sell and thats it so im a bit confused how January will be any different? confused.gif

Geoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

....About a month ago I was told that only approx 7,000 Mk5 GTIs would be exported to UK during the whole of 2006, hence the allocations availability would be similar to this year.

Bearing in mind also that sales of the GTI are only about 10% maximum of Mk5 Golf sales, the car is marketed to help overall Mk5 sales rather than its own sales. I think they call it the 'halo effect' where the GTI is the halo to attract the mainstream. But where does the R32 fit into all this....A Mk5 for maniacs? Driving the 4WD/4motion etc?

My headlights don't come on when I unlock the car, just the puddle lights. Think it must be setting on the computer as I vaguely remember doing that. Shows off the puddle lights much better, but I do have the headlights stay on for 30 secs after getting out so I can see to put the key in the door 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

VW allocate X amount of GTI's to the UK every year. 2005 is pretty much sold out so dealers are taking pre orders for 06 allocation. However they won't actually be able to put the order in until Jan 2006 when they officially get their slots.

At this point slots will be rife so dealers will naturally have more room to manouver (it's econmics/supply and demand). If you can hold out till jan, it might be worth it - especially keep an eye on Drive the Deal!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply its much appreciated, Think i will tell my dad to just hold off till Jan before he orders his i'll just tease him with mine till then. grin.gif lol.