Mk5 GTI v Mk5 R32...

RedRobin

We have probably discussed this before but not recently, unless I haven't been paying proper attention, and not with the new R32 now coming to market and being reviewed.

I risk being greatly teased but, be honest, surely many of us GTI owners have thought "Hmmm....Should I have waited and bought a R32, and should I part exchange?" It's natural! No shame in admitting it! The R32 is just another Mk5 Golf version but with V6 yummie (and thirsty) engine and 4WD plus obviously some necessary mechanical variations and some styling details which could have been much better designed. I hope I'm not misrepresenting anyone when I say that the vast majority of the guys 'n gals over in the TSN R32 forum (next door) worship the all-singing all-dancing Mk4 version notworthy.gif and don't rate the latest version - as yet. Fair enough that the jury is still out....We can't totally rely on journos to tell us how she feels, drives, and dances.

So, comparing the two but not in order of any importance:

PERFORMANCE:

Obviously with a 3.2 V6 the R32 will have a significant edge but is it worth the extra money? The GTI is exceptionally quick by comparison. The 3.2 is much thirstier.

HANDLING:

Well, 4WD beats front wheel drive every time. No contest. But again, the GTI does surprisingly well.

STYLING:

We all have different tastes but the consensus of opinion is that very few people like the detail styling of the new 32....That shiny codpiece that Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder would be proud of! The really tediously difficult to clean alloys that don't look that good anyway! Central exhausts? - They might be in fashion but. The GTI's standard rear is stylistically weak but the rest of the car looks as if it means business better than the R. VW should have spent time in the TSN R32 forum and gained a better understanding of what floats their boats as serious and experienced owners. There's a vibrant R32 tradition just like the GTI tradition.

PRACTICALITY:

Dead heat. They each provide exactly the same accommodation. Insurance and running costs are obviously higher with bigger engine size. Both true all-rounders....No bull-poo!

CONCLUSION:

Assuming you love VeeDub Golfs they are both great cars but I'm not at all sure that the Mk5 R32 is as good value for money as the Mk5 GTI. Very expensive just for 4WD and that awesome V6 exhaust sound!

Just my opinion 169144-ok.gif

I'll quote your outline but changed to my own thoughts:

PERFORMANCE:

In my eyes, this is more about V6 growl vs 4cyl turbo silence, in real terms the R32 I would have thought to be quicker on the track, but not a lot in it, but in day to day one really will go Vroom Vroom.

HANDLING:

Pretty much agree with you.

STYLING:

I actually dislike the styling on Both, i looked at a GTi at pre-release and wasnt prepared to buy a car that VW couldnt be bothered to finish painting. Now they have finished painting it and brought us the R32, but in doing so it looks like they ran through the Foliatec stand on the way. For me defor the Fully painted over nearly finished, but GTi front grill than that nasty silver R32 anyday.

PRACTICALITY:

I would expect the GTi to have the edge, havent looked in a 4mo yet, but if past experience is true then R32 will have far less practical boot space than the GTi.

CONCLUSION:

[ QUOTE ]

Very expensive just for 4WD and that awesome V6 exhaust sound!

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think the GTi is expensive when approaching a spec I would want to buy, but I do agree with you, defo pushing Golf price boundaries.

For me V6 exhaust note every time laugh.gif

Think I will wait for the Golf R-GT. 169144-ok.gif

Only thing to note on practicality which probably isn't of much concern to most people considering ordering the R32 but I read that the boot level is higher in order to accomodate the rear transmission. Not that it really matters!

I did actually think about ordering the R32 before seeing the pics and spec but was dissapointed when they were released. It doesn't really stand out as much as the MKIV did or even what the MKV GTI does. It's almost as if it's aimed at a different market to the original although I'm not sure what that market is because the front end doesn't look much different to the GT and the backend looks like a chav dream come true.

Having read a lot of reviews of the R32 there's no doubt of it's performance credentials, however some have commented on it being a bit too clinical and the GTI being more a challenging and fun drive.

I'll reserve complete judgement until I test drive but so far I've decided I'm not going to be getting one though for a few reasons:

1) I don't see it being worth the extra money over the GTI in terms of performance gains.

2) Additional running costs due to lower MPG

3) Not overly keen on the looks, but at least they painted it all!

4) It's more cost effective & easier to get performance gains on a turbo'd car than NA if you are into modding.

5) I want to wait and see if any of the rumours of an R36 or GTI anniversary come true.

No doubt all of the above will go out of the window when I take a test drive, but I'll be taking Mr Sensible with me and the girlfriend so that should do the trick. Saying that, I had no intention of buying a GTI until we test drove it!

I think you summed it all up very well!But i think i would still have the GTI.....i dont think the r32 this time around has been more of a revolution than the mk4 version and it still is yet to steal its thunder!..even though it is natural to be envious of what you "could have had"...life is for living and there will always be something slightly better just around the corner!!!Enjoy your GTI people...and if u can't... then sell it for te r32 which is in my view not as good value for money.... ECLIPSe.gif

I favour the GTI over the R32 and am utterly happy with what I've got....Especially the sound of those Milltek Quads! The Mk5 R32, in spite of it having 4WD and V6 sound etc, just doesn't cut the mustard like the Mk4 version did. It's doubtless a great drive but not as good as. It's interesting that so many people all really dislike some of its styling. I wonder how sales will do.

Meanwhile I shall continue enjoying my GTI to the full 169144-ok.gif

Of course for some of us the R32 just doesn't fit our needs.

In my case the lack of four doors eliminates from any potential shopping list, no matter how fruity the V6 sounds or how well the thing holds the road.

I think the tighter suspension set up might also annoy me. Most of my driving (95%) is city driving and with tram tracks and the like I think the comfort level of the R32 might potentially become a bit wearing.

I'm also not convinced about the front end looks - but that is a side issue.

It's still the GTI for me!!

I kinda like the idea of a V6 package in small hatchback though! If only they could put that in the gti setup and body with 4motion and leave everything else as it is (styling wise), that would be awesome! That would really be understated power under that body. like oz, i find the styling a bit too "forward".

[ QUOTE ]

There was a new R32 at the local dealers today. My god I'm glad I ordered a GTi. The R32 looked quite awful. Talk about automotive bling. It makes the Focus ST in orange look like an understated car. VW have lost the plot I'm afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.... needs a face lift alreday, and its not even on general sale in the UK yet!

smile.gif

Bit confused by this thread... don't some reckon the new R32 is *softer* than the GTi? And surely the seat-hitting-the-roof problem won't affect the new car? I'd be more interested in knowing real-world 'average' MPG's for the GTi versus the old R32 (particularly if you mainly ride around town and hardly ever hit the dual carriageway/motorway etc.)Is there really a massive difference? i.e. 20Mpg versus 30MPG? Anyone?

hi jaydash. for urban trips, "going easy on the pedal, 20km odd trips", 29.4mpg is a very real possibility in the gti in full auto mode. but on "short runs, cold, swinging by the convenience store, 2-5 kms trips" i've had 7-8 mpg for the run. 26mpg seems to be the "very average" for me, with a mixture of weekday urban spins and longer weekend runs (300-400 kms). all in all, for the kind of performance (200 hp)and level of ride, to say im happy in a real understatement.

[ QUOTE ]

Not that much quicker, very front heavy, much less MPG.

I'd take the GTI.

I will miss that 3.2 and AWD though, especially now it's winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you LeMan, having owned an "R" and visited my local mate at the BP station faaaar too many times. It has to be the GTi. It seems a lot of the Journo's think so too. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I bet the Mk6 GTI has a 2.0FSI Turbo & Supercharged engine! Meanwhile, we enjoy what we got to the max....There's always something bigger/better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would'nt be surprised if VAG introduce a 1.6 / 1.8 GTi with a Turbo and a Supercharger. It seems most manufacturers are looking into lower capacity engines. ( Look at the Golf GT as an example )..

GOLF GT linky thingy ... "Twincharger is the name VW has given to its radical new engine. The 1.4-litre, four-cylinder engine features a turbocharger and a supercharger to produce phenomenal maximum output figures of 168bhp and 177lb.ft of torque. The torque curve should provide diesel-like cruising and acceleration, with the top-end fizz of a petrol engine. Top speed is claimed to be 137mph, with the benchmark 0-62mph said to take just 7.9 seconds"

.Twincharger.jpgJust a thought mind. coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There was a new R32 at the local dealers today. My god I'm glad I ordered a GTi. The R32 looked quite awful. Talk about automotive bling. It makes the Focus ST in orange look like an understated car. VW have lost the plot I'm afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too right, saw the R32 at MPH05 yesterday and it's even more bland in the flesh. Especially in Laser Blue NONO3.GIF And that Alloy Grille Flush.gif. At least <font color="red"> Red's </font> Exhausts are the proper distance apart, the R32's pipes are very "Clio 182" IMO