For those with Miltek's......

v6tas

I have always maintained that the loud version isn't ASBO loud. I had a Scorpion cat back system on my MKIII 16v which was truly offensive and its nowhere near as loud. As I've said before, I think it has something to do with the fact its a decent sounding engine, not a 1.4 Saxo which just sounds awful, and how you drive it. If you nail it around built up areas and annoy everyone, you get whats coming to you. Yes its louder, and I know each exhaust is different so some louder than others, but its a good kind of loud!!

Hummm, i go against the trend here then, as i had the ST for around 4 months, and at the beginning i loved it. But after a while, as i use the car as my run around i found it a bit gratey, so changed back to the silent.

But i do miss the soound a bit, and wish there was a way to have both together and have a button so you could change between the two.

I know it would probably be prohibitively expensive but I do sometimes wish exhaust manufacturers would make a double system where a flap in the exhaust opens or closes to make it louder or quieter. Go straight thru and if you don't like it, add the silencer.

....But Millteks aren't really that loud imo. It's a more expensive route but you can always start off with the louder Non-Resonated 'ST' section and if you find it's too loud for you then change it for a Resonated section....Or play it safe and start with a Resonated. I'm up for a bit of Loud 'n Proud without being Chav. The smell of Castrol R and the sound of a sporty exhaust on a good engine floats my boat every time 169144-ok.gif .

This all depends on what other mods you have had made to the car. If it is a stock engine, with no replacement cams or cold air intake, then you will be fine with the straight-through centre section.

If you have the Milltek cats fitted, the car will be louder still.

I ran one on mine for about a month (with the hi-flow cats) and it was too loud - I live in a village (which doesn't help) normally leave around 7am (which helps even less!) and have also got several engine mods, hence the increased volume.

Yes, they are legal on a stock car, but I can't vouch for the legality if your car is modded.

But what about performance increase..????!!!!

Absolutely zero. Nada. Nulle points. Tried it. Dyno'd it. Makes no difference at all whether you've got the silenced centre section or the straight-though.

I.M.O. Tim, go for the silenced centre section - when you crank an R32 with a Milltek up enough, it is loud anyway, as the exhaust expands with the heat.

I don't know why I'm suggesting this, as a lot of other people are suggesting the straight-through option, but it's your call.

HTH

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on how you are using the car ?

If it is just for pleasure (fun) the straight thro' is the one

If the car is a 'working car', ie every day - lots of miles/hours on the job, then the 'quiet' one is the best choice.

IMHO smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine's option 2 above, so silenced centre is the sensible option.

I forgot to mention the nasty booming that comes back at 60mph with the straight-through, although this was with the AmD ST4 and CCAI, not sure how it is on a standard engined R..?

I think that skidmark's point is the key to the decision....Work? or play?

Absolutely no performance difference between silenced (Resonated) and straight through (Non-Resonated) versions - Officially confirmed by Milltek.

But why not play on the way home from work? FIREdevil.gif

No booms on the 2.0FSITurbo GTI but I've escaped to the R32 forum!

Another point worth a thought...if you have passengers in the back for long periods, the noise will get to them.

I run with the quiet set up, and after an hour or so on the motorway at the 'usual uk speeds' the folks in the back take time to adjust when you stop for a comfort break coffee.gif

you have to shout to make them hear !! grin.gif

Apologies for contributing to this from the Mk5 GTI perspective, but I was curious how loud my Milltek Non-Resonated (straight through) was for my back seat passengers and got a friend to drive me so I could check it out. Even with Quads, exhausts both sides, I was amazed that they seemed just fractionally quieter than from the front seats. I can't explain why....A mixture of sound-proofing, acoustics and sound travel I guess.

The exhaust configuration will be different on the 'Mk4' R32, plus the V6, but there will be some relative similarities re Millteks on Golfs.

[ QUOTE ]

I think that skidmark's point is the key to the decision....Work? or play?

Absolutely no performance difference between silenced (Resonated) and straight through (Non-Resonated) versions - Officially confirmed by Milltek.

But why not play on the way home from work? FIREdevil.gif

No booms on the 2.0FSITurbo GTI but I've escaped to the R32 forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely both, this time of year i dont bother too much "playing" after work but journeys home in the summer months sometimes take a 10 mile detour !!! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As ever guys/gals many thanks for all your input. Considering all the views im gonna plump for the silenced for now. Ive been quoted around £495 without fitting, would this seem about fair? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Some suppliers will fit free of charge - You just pay them for the goods. Contact Milltek and they'll tell you which ones. 169144-ok.gif West Tuning are fitting my GTI with Turbo-back tomorrow without fitting charges.

Got to be honest, and say that I was actually gonna switch back to the silenced section when I got the SC installed. For the reasons I gave above, when I was ferrying my boss around it got a little intrusive.

However, Jim @ Star left it on initially when I got the SC to see what I though, and I love it even more now....really sounds like a beast with the thunderous exhaust, and the whine of the charger...

Just makes you wanna drive it like you stole it smile.gif

b0b