#1 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Golf GTI TDI 150 diesel, 40,000 miles

My golf recently blew the fuse for the cooling fans (twice). The control unit has been replaced but not the fans themselves, despite VW's recommendation that all three components are changed. This was because the extended warranty company would only pay for the controller to be changed (and only £34/hr labour!). I now find the fans run for about 5 seconds at full speed and then cut out for about a minute before running again. They are being brought on by the climatronic system. This is obviously not right but will changing the fans solve the problem? And how do I get Warranty Holdings to accept the cost?

#2 pingpongpo

pingpongpo

Subaru Impreza WRX

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:55 PM

Might be worth checking the motors to make sure the windings aren't breaking down?

With regard to the warranty company I would double check your terms and conditions to see exactly what is covered etc and then get on the blower /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ha.gif and have it out with them.

Usual case of a company trying to take the pi$$ out of a customer by the sounds of it.

#3 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:03 PM

Hi
Thanks for taking the time out to answer. Do you know how VW achieve the two speeds? Is there some device in the motor or does the controller do some jiggery-pokery (a technical term!)
Graeme

#4 aaabbb

aaabbb

Ford Ka

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

Both of the fans behind the radiator need changing probably. Very common fault with the fans on the 150bhp Golfs. I think there is a resistor in the fans somewhere that breaks causing the fans to run at high speed. It could be down to other things like air con pressure switch or too much gas in air con system but most probably the fans.

#5 mulkbear

mulkbear

Subaru Impreza WRX

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

The fault is a <u>very very common</u> one for the 150 and it is the twin cooling fans that are at fault. I would be very surprised if this dids not fix it, please the post when the repairs have been carried out.
Vasaline on toast.....

#6 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

Thank you everyone for your help.
Does anyone have a view as to whether the new controller may have been damaged by the faulty fans. Also, anyone any experience of an "after warranty" claim on VW on an item like this, assuming Mulkbear's "Very very common" fault is acknowledged by VW?

#7 mulkbear

mulkbear

Subaru Impreza WRX

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

IMO extended warranty is not worth the paper it is wrote on !
Vasaline on toast.....

#8 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

"IMO extended warranty is not worth the paper it is wrote on !"
As much as that!
They have put every obstacle in the way of a claim, driving the poor bloke in the garage potty. Just at the last minute they asked for service info and then said they were refusing to pay becuase I had exceeded the service intervals. I explained about "long life service" but had to produce a fax from VW verifying that it was appropriate on my vehicle.
What I would like to know is:
a) where I can find a garage in the London area who charge £34 ish an hour inc vat.
b) and are experts on VW electrics
c) and can do it in the time allowed.

#9 mulkbear

mulkbear

Subaru Impreza WRX

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:46 PM

When you try and get them to pay they will say it is

* wear and tear item
* Has be damage by a outside source
* it is you fault it is faulty.

I hate extended warranty as they have inspectors that come and inspect the faulty parts and ask silly questions, then try and say that i have damaged the parts !!
Vasaline on toast.....

#10 aaabbb

aaabbb

Ford Ka

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

If the extended warranty company wont pay for the fans then give VW customer services a ring. They are quite helpful. If you have had your car serviced regularly at the correct intervals and at a VW dealer I think they may cover most of the cost as goodwill as it is a common fault and the car hasnt done that many miles and it has only just ran out of warranty. I did a steering column today on a 2002 bora that had done 65k and out of warranty and the lease company wouldnt pay for the work so we rang up VW customer services and they contributed quite a bit to the parts and labour costs. Give them a try they can only say no.

#11 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

Although my car is just over three years old, it was a European import and so was only covered under warranty for two years, which is why I took out the WH cover. How common are fan failures on 150's? It would have to be almost a manufacturer recall issue for vW to cough up..... wouldn't it?

#12 aaabbb

aaabbb

Ford Ka

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:34 PM

VW wont recall something like that unless it is safety related. They never had a recall for the coil packs that were always breaking they just repalced them free of charge if the car had done under 100k regardless of age. They never recalled them. The fault with the fans is extremely common most 150bhp PD Golfs will have had a new set of fans on them. If the extended warranty company wont cough up and you dont wont to replace the fans just keep repalcing the fuse on top of the battery. Its a 40amp strip fuse and this is what blows all the time due to a dodgy resistor in the fans i think. If you replace the fuse the fans will be ok till the fuse blows again.

#13 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:31 PM

Thank you everyone for helping me here. That's so much appreciated.
aaabb, ref your comments:
I have replaced the fuse several times now. Unfortunately, with the fans starting in high speed every time, the current is enough to weaken the fuse when stuck in traffic and then the problems start because the fuse goes (for example Bristol City Centre 5pm on a Friday!)
The other concern is that of course the fans don't run as they should. With the climate control on, the fans should run slowly most of the time (as I understand it) and only ramp up to high speed if the cooling system starts to overheat. What I get is 5 second manic bursts on the fans. This dims the lights and you can feel the engine slow as the load hits the alternator. I can see other components failing next!

#14 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:32 PM

- anyway, does anyone have a telephone number for VW Customer Service please?

#15 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

What's happened today.
Spoke to VW Customer Support. Would not admit this is a common fault with 150 diesels but offered to make a contribution although would only discuss amount with the dealer who has serviced the car regularly. Waiting to hear.
Spoke to Warranty Holdings. Damage to fans "must have been a consequence of controller failing and therefore not covered". Tried to explain that it was not possible to decide which failed first and that we had told them that VW insist on changing all three components (2 fans + controller). It was they who had insisted in changing only one part (the controller). WH now resorting to a recording of their conversation with the garage to see who said what. Worse than pulling teeth.
Maybe the contribution from VW, however small, would be a better bet than trying to pursuade WH to cough up for the repairs.
Moral: don't bother with extended warranties - not worth the heartache.

#16 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:03 AM

Today.........
WH agreed to replace ONE fan.
No news from VW; main dealer said new controller replaced earlier (on WH holdings insistence) has probably been wrecked by the damaged fans!
... the saga continues.

#17 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:47 PM

Update......
VW "might pay half" of the cost but want a detailed investigation from the dealer as to what has failed. This, according to the dealer, means plugging in the "big" analyser and spending "up to 2 hrs" finding out what's failed. In reality, I am told it is either both fans, or the controller (but that was replaced a couple of weeks ago) or both. I have to pay for this analysis - could be £200.
What a con! It doesn't make sense to spend out £200 when the individual components are about £100. The fans are obviously knackered (aren't they?) so if it's still not right, the controller has gone again. Can anyone shed any light on this farce for me?
As it stands at the moment. I am thinking of going with WH to change one fan and I'll pay for the other.

#18 GBWilliams

GBWilliams

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:48 PM

Both fans changed today. Told they are working ok with the previously renewed controller. Not yet checked it out (too scary?) Received today a cheque from WH for £140 to replace the controller (only actually cost me £210).
WH who had agreed (verbally) to replace one fan (??? logic) now will only pay 0.7hrs labour - about 9p :-)
Aguing this currently and have taken liberty of a new post (sorry but really peed off now).
Will there be a happy ending?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users