Ultimate Driving satisfaction with the "S" mode

phantom75

i have just completed the 1500 km's, and took my car for the first service, after one day it was ready and i was waiting eagerly to start driving it with full power. man this car is like a bullet, i was driving on highway in the D mode and noticed had a toyota camry V6 engine back on my tail trying to challenge my GTI, so it just took me half a second for me to shift to "S" mode and kick the gas pedal, IT BLASTED LIKE A BULLET, what a feckin power it gave, the gti was very aggressive, the camry guy disappeared from my mirror for some seconds,and when i slowed down again he just overtaken me slowly and turned on his flashers as a sign of surrender grin.gif, it was really an undescribable feeling, and hey guys who are waiting for your GTI's to be delivered, i guess it is worth to wait months and years even to get this monster car, beleive me i used to change my car every year , but have no othercar in mind for at least the coming 4 years, and no car can satisfy my driving needs like the MK5.

enjoy. jump.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....Great news that you are so enthusiastic. Some people find the S-mode a bit too "frantic" but used appropriately it's magic - especially when you need to move as fast as poss and keep both hands on the wheel and don't even have to think about the paddles. With a Turbo-back the exhaust flow is much improved and the power comes in well with very very noticeably better throttle response. If you lift off the throttle and then pedal back on, the response is absolutely immediate and strong - Especially around 4,000 revs.

Keep enjoying!! 169144-ok.gif

The real benefit of "blasting like a bullet" is the greatly increased safety when overtaking or joining motorways etc. Providing you take time to get to know the car you can judge those distances which you know are safe to cross. Of course there are plenty of much faster cars than the GTI on the road but I can say that in nearly 5,000 miles she has never let me down and got me safely out of several tricky spots.

If I understand you correctly....No. The GTI engine has excellent torque and so can pull powerfully from very low revs. By running her in carefully for the first 1,000 miles using mostly D-mode and occasionally S-mode before paddles you'll learn how she behaves. Take your time to get the feel of her. That's my advice for what it's worth.

I was travelling through Newbury on Sunday afternoon, and along side pulled up a 911 ( about 1998 model i think)at some lights. The stretch of road to the next lights is about 1.5 miles. So i did what any sensible 37 year old would do! slipped it into s and waited for amber.

Can anyone guess how much ground he gained in that 1.5 miles? and trust me is was going for it.

Well believe it or not about a car length! As we pulled up along side each other at the next lights he wound he window down and said that ****ing thing is quick ! sheer praise from a porsche owner i thinks!!

I used to say that about my A3 3.2 and got laughed out the forum. Then I drove the golf and didn't find it much slower - So i can well believe it.

You'll find the same with scooby's too, just don't play on the twisty stuff.

You won't beat them, but you'll certainly frustrate the arse off them!

Hi Chris, I passed by Newbury on A34 early Sunday afternoon....Would have been really funny if I had also encountered the same Porsche and done similar! Our GTIs are comparable to those slightly older Porsches but as LeMan says, you can't really beat them. The Scoobys are tyre eaters and defo not to be messed with! Give 'em R-e-s-p-e-c-t !

I've now got a very subtle 220bhp (max and not rolling road plotted - yet!) but a very instant throttle response, especially noticeable in S-mode. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Chris, are you in a DSG or manual?

[/ QUOTE ]

....To answer for Chris: "slipped it into s" = S-mode on DSG....Takes each gear to the revs threshold near the red zone 169144-ok.gif Very sporting 169144-ok.gif

This is a very good example of the advantages of DSG - You get no loss of motion as the car continues to accelerate through the gears and those gear changes are faster than human and oh so smooooth!

Dead right Robin, i think the advantage is also that from a standstill flooring it gives almost instant traction, not so easy in a manual. Still tempted to get mine chipped but not sure if its really that necessary. I had my 150Bhp 1.8T on the rollers and it was pushing 165 standard, so i wouldnt be suprised if ours were higher than spec!!

ps the porsche had electric windows

I wouldn't be surprised either about the small extra bhp. In fact I read somewhere that some were often clocking 203-210. I must ask my friend Ray West about what he's finding on GTI first plots....He always does a first diagnostic plot on his (4WD and 2,700bhp max) rolling road before any re-mapping just to see how the car is and then tunes accordingly. I'm not planning to re-map for a while yet. As you say it's not necessary at all but having driven West Tuning's 270bhp/Porsche braked/Bilstein suspensioned etc Mk5 GTI on the road I find it far more practical and smoother than I expected....It's just the costs of full modding. Best to get to know the standard GTI first anyway imo.

As Chris has said, the traction is pretty hot and as it really takes you up into kissing the red zone it's best to be patient and run her in. You won't damage the engine or car but it just helps reduce the stresses and prolongs its life. Same as waiting for the temperature to rise before starting to have fun. Treat her well and she'll be nice to you wink.gif

Its a good point about s mode. Anything tries to take you on just bang it into s and floor it. However, i think a remap is needed for the last 1000rpm. The power peaks to early, would love the gti to pull all the way into the red line. Robin you think Ray West could do a remap to fix this?

Probably not possible to only re-map the top end but give Ray call and mention my name....He's the one to ask....He'll tell you straight what he can or can't do whether it's what you want to hear or not....My kind of guy 169144-ok.gif

Sorry to be always singing Milltek's praises but their Hi-flow Turbo-back will really make a difference to a re-map....It makes a heck of a difference to even a standard GTI!

When I drove West Tuning's 270bhp re-mapped GTI, in the wet and wind, I found it just as smoooth lower down as my standard car (well not so standard now but around 220 and not re-mapped). Am not suggesting you go as high as 270....245ish is another alternative. Speak to Ray tomorrow....You don't have to commit to anything....Just an enquiry.