Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TwoSheds

Fifth gear TV programme

18 posts in this topic

So pleased I ordered a GTI .

Seeing the VXR & Renault perform was 'interesting'.

Its got to be Optimax then from those test results.

[ QUOTE ]

slightly weird about the 176bhp or whatever it was?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like you I didn't quite catch the figure.. assume it was the power measured at the drive wheels.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's after transmission losses of course. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so are you two feckers getting your cars next week then. grin.gif

i'm certainly not holding my breath. There is the small matter of registering it (which it is said can take up to 7 days! sportifs2.gif).

at least it is one stage closer now. Every small step is a good one!

It's like pulling teeth. I just wish i could be the type who was so chilled they just didn't care.

...but i'm not and i want blood!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

It's like pulling teeth. I just wish i could be the type who was so chilled they just didn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just think of it this way -- it could be a lot worse! I ordered mine middle of July, so I'm four months in and I've got another three months to go.

I just figure that I'll appreciate it all the more for the wait than if I'd have just been able to go out and get one the next day... or at least that's what I keep telling myself wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so are you two feckers getting your cars next week then. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish........ smile.gif

Well Im not holding my breath either, but secretly I'm hoping to pick it up Mon/Tues next week. 169144-ok.gif

I apologise now for any smugness once I have it. FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I apologise now for any smugness once I have it. FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's alright mate, i'll just spank you in yours when mine arrives!!! ha.gif keep up! grin.gif

Hoho we'll see, I'll already have had months to get used to her by the time yours turns up buttcheeks.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hoho we'll see, I'll already have had months to get used to her by the time yours turns up buttcheeks.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

years mate, not months, com'on lets not get too optimistic. smashfreakB.gif

The programme certainly bore out my findings that higher octane fuel wasn't worth the money. Even the 99 octane Optimax only managed 5bhp more than the standard (supermarket)u/l, which is undetectable in normal use (your power will vary by more than that on a day to day basis according to atmospheric conditions/air temperature).

Certainly not worth it to me when you take into account the fractionally better economy from the standard u/l. Not sure I'd go so far as to use supermarket fuel on a regular basis though

It made a BIG difference in my A3, seriously I'm normally totally anti b*llshit like this (put it down to marketing) but it really did make a HUGE difference.

It's the only car it has made a difference in though.

Optimax in my Boxster improves the mpg, performance and refinement. Have to stick with it though and not mix it to get the benefits. Getting to know where all the Shell garages are in the UK.

Doubtless you know about the Shell Station Finder on their web site. I keep the post codes on my SatNav!

imho afaik octane ratings by themselves do not reflect the energy content of fuel. its more of a reflection of the volatility of the material . so if you are getting better mileage it could be more of a result of the combustion interaction rather than calorie value for money line which i feel some of us here are arguing towards. i guess the line should be if your car doesnt need high octane because of the inherent engine design, dont use it as you'll be wasting money unnecessarily.