Regretting Diamond Black!

bulldoze

I'm surprised how easy mine is to keep clean! It's my first black car (apart from the Capri!) and I'd heard all the horror stories but I wanted to own one just once. I think it must be down to the waxing I gave it when it was new as the dirt just seems not to stick too bad, and even when it does it wipes off really easily.

Thats good to hear Aswall, I am waiting for my Diamond Black GTI and have heard many horror stories like this and not having owned a black car before, it's good to hear it may not all be doom and gloom.

You mentioned the waxing you gave it, what type of wax was it?

Hi Rayza. Just been into garage to check and it was Simoniz stuff from Halfords. Also used the same make carwash with a wax additive when I washed it, though the last few times it has just been a bucket, sponge and a sachet of carwash stuff from a box of the stuff my neighbour gave me. The wheels are extrememly easy to keep clean as well, by far the easiest of any alloys I've ever had.

Don't worry, it'll be great 169144-ok.gif

my friend, the reason that i got my GTI silver color is the same that happened with you, i used to have a Lumina SS black color, i used to face hell to keep it clean,and whatever you do u will have scratches all over, so silver is doing great with me, it is the best color ever on the MK5 with all my respect to other colors( red robin will kill me now grin.gif)

Using a jetwash brush on it is sheer lunacy!!!!

However, you should never buy a black car unless you expect to put a lot of time and effort into keeping it clean - and by that I mean washing it twice a week minimum.

I'd say this though....a good couple of coats of Pinnacle Souveran Wax, leaving 24 hours between each application, and you'll find it's an awful lot easier to keep clean in future.

Yes, black is a little harder to keep clean given that any dirt which dries start to look white. I look at it as a plus point - im especially careful around these dirty areas when I clean and not put too much pressure on it. in fact im trying a new cleaning technique to reduce swirl marks and it seems to be working – just using the palm of my hand to wash!! It was suggested to me by my cousin. What I do is have a soaked sponge in my left hand which I use like a squeegee and I use my right hand to swish the water over the paint surface. The advantage of this technique as pointed out by my cousin is that ill be able to feel any grit and back off on the pressure. I don’t normally apply any contact pressure in most circumstances anyway but use the aqueous pressure to get the dirt off. The drawbacks? – potentially hard on the skin surface given the stuff that can come in contact with the paint surface.

ive got no regrets with black. its classy. the only people who look at the car are those who know it. and thats good enough.

yep mu, just rememeber you dont need "contact" between your palm and the paint surface. just think of swishing the water over the paint surface. water is in between your palm and the paint. do wet the paint surface first to soften any grime on it. i know it sounds like you'll be using a lot of water as you'll be unfortunately. if you got a hose (and are allowed to use it) that helps. just keep running the water and using your palm to put that extra energy in driving the grime off. !! i think of it as in between using a pressure hose (too strong ) and water running over it (too weak).