Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
petsy

is getting paint protection on a new car worth it?

35 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I have been offered paint and interior protection at a much reduced price.

Anyone care to comment whether are not it is worth the extra expense?

I'm gonna go for it, but this maybe should be in the cleaning forum?

I have it on my Audi and I must say there was a couple of light scratches on the passenger side from the gf's handag and whatever it is they do getting out of the car.

I am not sure if it was the paint protection but they just polished out, also the car seems easy to clean with this option

[ QUOTE ]

also the car seems easy to clean with this option

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't that the whole idea of it -like a permanent wax.

Should be part of the painting process anyway IMO.

What's next... Would you like "the treads on your tyres package" sir? ROLLEY~14.GIF

I have it on mine. It certainly adds a good shine and a degree of protection. Don't jet wash unless softly from a distance cos apparently it can damage the protection.

[ QUOTE ]

I have it on mine. It certainly adds a good shine and a degree of protection. Don't jet wash unless softly from a distance cos apparently it can damage the protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robin, Did you have the VW autoglym lifeshine package as I am thinking about it.

Do you hate cleaning your car? because if you do then these packages are essential in my opinion, especially if you have red.

Me well i would rather spend it on cleaning products, my gti is 4 months old and i have waxed it 6 times already with good old Megs.

No, I've got A-Glaze....They're big in the marine field....Done by the dealer. I'm intending to was the car today but it drizzle showers keep passing. Megs is magic!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Robin, Did you have the VW autoglym lifeshine package as I am thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went for the Lifeshine option - bloody great kit of cleaning products comes with it. Have washed the car a couple of times and it does seem to clean/dry nice and easy!!

Have to apply the polish/protection every 6 months thereafter - so quite low maintenance!

Just put a coat of alloy wheel wax on the 18s as well! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Do you hate cleaning your car? because if you do then these packages are essential in my opinion, especially if you have red.

Me well i would rather spend it on cleaning products, my gti is 4 months old and i have waxed it 6 times already with good old Megs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your point , I don't mind cleaning the car but I'm not sure I want to be waxing it that frequently !!!!

Thanks Robin not come across that one. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went for the Lifeshine option - bloody great kit of cleaning products comes with it. Have washed the car a couple of times and it does seem to clean/dry nice and easy!!

Have to apply the polish/protection every 6 months thereafter - so quite low maintenance!

Just put a coat of alloy wheel wax on the 18s as well! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm tempted to go for 'Lifeshine' but the dealer quoted £299(inc.vat) which sounded a bit steep to me. May be an area for negotiation ?

My dealer is offering Supaguard (seems similar) also at £299, which sounds pretty steep!! Not sure if I am going to do this as also thinking about GAP insurance, but have already spent too much on options, oops.

Supaguard £299 Cough Cough splutter. F-ing hell they must realy think they can have a laugh with you. Change dealers, get your cars serviced somewhere else, they seem to assume your a mug!

£299 seems to be a standard price for Supagard, but of course you can buy the kits from ebay and do it yourself...

Wow slow down! A PRO detailer will do it for under £200, in and out. if you feel, think, can see yourself needing this get an indipendant PRO detailer to do it. Not some monkey at the dealership, or a yts/yobseeker (or whatever they are called now) that the dealer gives a few nuts and fruit to!

Paint protection on new cars imho is worth it.

Why the new paints they use bird muck just eats it away. Not good especially on a dark colour.

What type of product well thats a good question.

I have it on my car and my two old cars. Worth having and make it easyer 2 clean! 169144-ok.gif

There is one in essex, clean and shiny I think, maybe not, found a realy good company in the detailing forum. Had their own web site, were offering v. good prices compaired to a dealer and were PRO's.

I've just literally shampooed and washed my car. Defo worth the paint protection! Using a hose with 7 variable nozzle settings (from local hardware store) plus Meg Lambswool Mitt and Magnet Cloth and it's eeeeasy peeeeasy! 2 weeks of heavy grime and dirt all cleaned off and shiny in 2 hours. The Cleaning forum post by Andy is the biz 169144-ok.gif

the best car cleaning accessory IMO is a rubber blade (like the valeters use)

it makes cleaning a black car easy, even in summer sunshine 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Supaguard £299 Cough Cough splutter. F-ing hell they must realy think they can have a laugh with you. Change dealers, get your cars serviced somewhere else, they seem to assume your a mug!

[/ QUOTE ]

I ain't a mug if thats what you think the dealer might be thinking hence getting as much info. from TSN.

I did ask at the time if a specialst firm did it for that price! 'No our own valeters have been trained.' It did ring a few warning bells not to leap straight in.

As for servicing thats a different matter I shall go to who I think I can trust to do a proper job at a reasonable price as I do now.

I will follow your suggestion thanks about checking out some PRO detailers then make my mind up. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

they seem to assume your a mug!

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOCK HORROR, car dealers think we're mugs and charge a premium for what can be had elsewhere for a much cheaper price... naaahhh, you're pulling my leg! tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

they seem to assume your a mug!

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOCK HORROR, car dealers think we're mugs and charge a premium for what can be had elsewhere for a much cheaper price... naaahhh, you're pulling my leg! tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Honest, they do... They come over like your best mate and everything, and I hate to say this, they have alteria motives. When I found out just the other day I was shocked. Made me feel like a teenage girl, who has been shagged and proptly dumped by her 'soul mate' boyfriend jump.gif