Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
petsy

is getting paint protection on a new car worth it?

35 posts in this topic

My stealer was really trying to push the supaguard and also the gap insurance as extras, but when i decided to go for the gap insurance instead of the supaguard and walked away within the hour he'd called me up and offered the supaguard for £100. TRY HAGGLING WITH HIM. say your over budget already and really cant afford it.

My dealer gave me the autoglym protection and gap insurance thrown in - didn't even have to ask? Mind you thats about all he's done thats good.

Bitter and twisted at the moment - wanted my car for xmas :-(

Week 5 :-((

Some useful inforamtion here

One of my clients imports the TST product, had a bit of a chat with them about it. The main thing that came out of it was do not skimp on the costs of having it applied.

To do a small hatchback properly takes 4+ hours and therefore costs 169144-ok.gif

I had the toughseal done on a previous brand new S3 - forget it! waste of time. Save your money, invest in suitable wax/paint sealant from meguiars/poorboys and do it yourself regularly. Having a Porter Cable random orbital polisher helps with this.

IMO today's manufacturers offer such extended warranties on paint and corrosion for the simple reason that the technology has advanced to such an extent that anything additional is purely for shine and aesthetics and less so for protection. VW's have multi million pound paint shops for a reason and serious anti....chip/scratch/etc anything!

[ QUOTE ]

IMO today's manufacturers offer such extended warranties on paint and corrosion for the simple reason that the technology has advanced to such an extent that anything additional is purely for shine and aesthetics and less so for protection. VW's have multi million pound paint shops for a reason and serious anti....chip/scratch/etc anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with what your saying. Paint quality is nowere near as good as it was one of the main reasons is due to enviromental concerns that the paint has changed.

It chips more it does not 'stick' to the metal as it use too and its softer. VW group as a whole are having huge problems with paint quality and have for quite a while now.

Also worth of note is a post i posted earlier today

" I was talking to a bloke at my local skoda dealer today while waiting to collect a relative that works there and he was telling me in confidence how there local Audi dealership and themselfs were having paint problems on there new cars with bird dropping etching into the paint and lifting it in lumps on some colours and mager discolouring on others. He did say the paint sealer treatments they offer from new, he did not say the make of it though, non of the treated cars have had problems so far. "

Im also told by someone else on here Volvo and Merc are suffering badly too.

Oh forgot to add try claiming on your paint warrantie for the bird poo problem you may get a nasty shock as its not covered!! mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Paint quality is nowere near as good as it was one of the main reasons is due to enviromental concerns that the paint has changed.

It chips more it does not 'stick' to the metal as it use too and its softer. VW group as a whole are having huge problems with paint quality and have for quite a while now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with Snoop. I think it's the new water based paints that are causing the problems. I noticed a big diference in the quality of my 53 plate R32 to my earlier Scooby even. And the Japs are not renown for their paint quality.. Scooby was much, much harder.

ive got paint chips in mine already.......is it covered on the paint warrenty then?

The paint is terrible, scrapes and scratches off with the slightest bump/nudge. Insted of these paint sealents, I'm going to pay an independant body shop to touch up any little marks. Shouldn't cost the earth...