17's or 18's

Leppy

[ QUOTE ]

Only fool would order a new GTI with 17" wheels......

At £445 they make the car look even better.....

As for the ride.....I noticed no change to the demo I drove

jump.gifjump.gifjump.gifjump.gif

martin

[/ QUOTE ]

jump.gif Talk about a provocative comment yelrotflmao.gif

Yep I noticed no difference in ride quality either

[ QUOTE ]

Only fool would order a new GTI with 17" wheels......

At £445 they make the car look even better.....

As for the ride.....I noticed no change to the demo I drove

jump.gifjump.gifjump.gifjump.gif

martin

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell you what come back in 6-10 years time with your 18s that you have not had reconditioned and lets see the condition there in compared to the 17s tongue.gifwink.gif

18s may look better and imo not give much differerce in ride quality but i bet the durability will not be very good as its not with this type of finish to alloys. Especially if we have a few bad winters. tongue.gifwink.gif

beerchug.gif

I may of been a bit harsh in my previous comment.....SORRY

what I ment to say was.....People have regretted not ordering the 18's when first placing their order with the stealer....

Just like me regretting to order the high line computer....

which I must admit IS the best £45 spent.......

That's why people MUST be told about this web site.....

If I'd of known what I know now I would be a happier man...

Not that I'm not a happy man with a GTI....IT'S BRILL

The 18s do look great, very especially on the Steel Grey GTI because they look as if they are coded to match. They even looked great on Jay's absolutely filthy Steel Grey car yesterday. But I personally prefer the look of the 17s on my 5dr Red car. My thinking when ordering was that if I was ever going to upgrade the wheels I'd go for BBS 19s and so why spend extra at the beginning. Anyway, I'd mod the suspension (Bilstein plus Eibach anti-roll bars) before the wheels. The GTI is a good chassis and stable platform without needing 18s.

Also I took notice of Snoopy's advice a while ago as he is obviously experienced in such matters.

Barry, smart automatic suspension by Bilstein or Koni would help your ride.

Id be a "fool" and order 17's because :-

1.The ride is a little better

2.They are £450 Cheaper

3.The tyres will cost several hundred pounds less over 80,000 miles (Assuming average 20k/tyre = 16 tyres X £25 more expensive = £400)

4.They are less likely to get damaged by that pothole that you cant see hiding underneath a puddle.

smashfreakB.gifOuch, a replacement alloy must be circa £200.

If that makes me a fool, then so be it :

Some bias may be here given I have both the red car and 17's but I don't really see anything wrong with the 17's- especially on the five door.

We don't have the 18's or the 3 door options but the photos I've seen on TSN of various 3 door colours/wheel combinations leads me to think that the 3 looks better with the 18's. I think they help balance up the higher waist line of the 3 door, making it look a little less tail heavy.