Who's keeping the Mk4 and not buying a Mk5??

Calm Chris

Each to there own, but having looked at a Mk5, I'm not interested frown.gif.

Reasons?

£30k is one of them. Why spend £30k when I have a Mk4 with 16k miles on it. I have the wedge, so it's not a money thing, the car just isn't right for me frown.gif.

I feel let down that VW have done a half 4rsed design and build. Other than being new, zero mileage and a 3 year warranty, I can't see the attraction.

Those who do swap up or buy, have fun. 169144-ok.gif

169144-ok.gif Who else is not selling their Mk4 R32 and even if they did, wouldn't get a Mk5 R?

I'll wait around and see what VW do with the Concept R 2 seater, Audi the S3, VW the R36 (never, say never). There has to be more choice in the market in the next year or so!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't swap. The mkV just dosen't rock my boat, I am sure it is a fantastic car and maybe even better than a mk IV. It's just not special enough, not different enough from the GTI and performance wise not much better than a GTI or mkIV.

When the mk IV came out it was better than the next best golf to make it worth the money. The mkV is not that much better than the GTI to warrant the extra cash IMO. But each to their own and I would not slate anyone who part x'd their mkIV. If your hanging on to a mkIV enjoy it and if you have a mkV enjoy it. It's just not for me.

ECLIPSe.gif

I'm simply sticking because I’ve started spending some money on mods. I think for what your getting, it's exactly the same car in a different shell. The mods are out now for the Mk4 and the warranty is nearly up. The Mk5 at the moment doesn't look quite as beefy as the Mk4, but I'm sure over time it will look better.

I test drove the mk v R32 yesterday. Thought it was okay but a bit mundane compared to my mk iv. Again money not a problem but I wasnt excited enough to buy it, I'm sure if it was an R36 I would definately be buying one.

Just wish the new R32 was a bit more hardcore.

Hope the wife buys me a milltek for Christmas as I'm keeping mine for a bit longer. 169144-ok.gif

Must agree with Chris. The upgrade to match my MK4 would be around 11k. As nice as ive found the MK5 in the flesh it would just be a sideways move. I have until Mar 2007 until my warranty runs out. I shall wait until then when hopefully something else may be out or if i do go for the MK5 (i havent ruled it out) a fully loaded second hand one will be a more reasonable price. As its part of the range and not limited edition then there is no rush what so ever to change. 169144-ok.gif

I was considering selling my MKIV in the spring, but I think I'm going to keep it as I can't think what else I want that I can afford (a new RS4 would be nice, but not an option at the moment mad.gif)

What I do know is that if I do sell, I won't be buying a MKV. That's down to the look of it. Nothing more.

I think the MKV will be a fantastic car for those who are buying one whether moving from the MKIV or not, but I couldn't buy a car I don't like the look of.

It's each to their own of course, and I certainly think TP has done the right thing if he likes the looks! 169144-ok.gif

What I would say though is that the magazines etc loved the Fiat Multipla too, so I don't really go much on listening to what they like looks wise. crazy.gif

I have stuck a depossit down on a mk5. But its only because the mileage is starting to stack up on mine and I dont fancy anything else as a replacement at the moment.

I really love my mk4 and I do feel as though the mk5 is a backwards step. Even though I will still probably get one I am just not that excited about it.

[ QUOTE ]

I have stuck a depossit down on a mk5. But its only because the mileage is starting to stack up on mine and I dont fancy anything else as a replacement at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand that.

My MKIV only has about 8.5k on the clock at the moment, so I'm not in a rush to get rid of it on mileage grounds yet. I honestly don't know what I'd buy if I did need to sell mine! confused.gif

No Mk5 for me. I got everything I wanted in my Mk4, but the new R32 is not for me. I can't fault the new R32, the styling just doesn't rock my boat and as its been pointed out already, if you don't like the looks, well, it doesn't matter how well it drives!

Whether its worth the extra £10 grand over the Mk4, thats a decision only the purchaser can make at the end of the day.

As far as I can tell, there is no distinct performance advantage but the option of DSG and other little toys may swing it for others.

If you read this TP, what was your deciding factor??

I think I've already decided on my next car and it will be another German marque! Just got to save the dosh now! Oh well, back to work then!

To all the new R32 owners, enjoy it and see you on the back lanes grin.gif

I would'nt change my MKIV for a MKV.

I remember when I first saw the MKIV, it looked so different to any other golf and so mean that I just wanted one, it took a couple of years but I got my dream car.

Popped into my local dealer and looked at the MKV and to be honest it did nothing for me at all, in fact the GTI that was parked next to it looked a lot meaner.

All the views posted seem to reflect how I felt when I first went to see a MK5 in the flesh, but though I hate to admit it even the frigging wheels are now growing on me!! sad I know, but I always seem to dislike the new shape, and guess what? six months down the line, yep you guessed it!

Any way my current Mk4 is 04 has 540 miles on the clock and is showroom condition,and it is going to be a wrench to part with it,as it is the second one I have owned,but waying up the p/x my dealer has offered (I know they have somebody lined up for the car)Purely on a financial basis If I am going to change it has to be now, so it's head over heart,I perfectly understand current Mk4 owners,as the car is a one off in my opinion,I have driven numerous, and I mean numerous cars over the years, but the Mk4 probably brought the biggest smile to my face, with it's combination of, "what the **** was that performance" combined with it's understated looks, makes it I reckon, by far the best Wolf in sheeps clothing car of recent years,I took her out down my favourite B road this evening, before parting company, and had a very interesting "meet up" with an sti, and let's just say she held her own, so I will be very sad to hand over the key's next week................

Yep RS4 would have been the daddy, but it was enough of a stretch to get the MK5 would'nt sleep at night spending that much wonga on a motor, even a car as good as the RS4 is.I honestly think the MK4 will become a classic, because of it's limited production, the fact that so many have and will be pranged, the number I have seen in my stealers body shop over the last few years has been depressing, and the number of mk4 R32 "replicas" with 1.4 engines but are fitted with genuine wheels and interiors, which have obviously come from somewhere? make me believe that a good example of a superb car will become very hard to obtain in a relatively short period of time i.e: A classic

[ QUOTE ]

Any way my current Mk4 is 04 has 540 miles on the clock and is showroom condition

[/ QUOTE ]

What ya doing p/xing a car like that? There must be someone on here that would have it off you for a better price than the stealer fagash32. Give us some more details.