Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calm Chris

Who's keeping the Mk4 and not buying a Mk5??

55 posts in this topic

Its funny how most people who have a mk4 R32 are lusting over an RS4. It would be my ideal replacement too I have to admit. Apart from a Porsche GT2 that is. ZZZ.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Whats the point of buying something when your happy with what youv'e got?

I love my Mk IV and the Mk V just doesn't do it for me in this package.

[/ QUOTE ]

Head over heart for me.

I use mine for business and I put the miles on fairly quickly. I also need a car with a warranty, so would never keep one more than 3 years (next September for mine). And at the moment the mk5 is the best replacement I can think of.

I am still being brutally honest with myself and know its a big let down compared to what the mk4 replacement should have been.

[ QUOTE ]

Mkiv + £12k = Mkv

= bad sums!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mkiv + £3k = VXR

Mkiv + £3k = ST Focus

Mkiv + £35k = RS4

Mkiv + £0k = Status Quo

You pays your money, as the saying goes.. 169144-ok.gif

....Surely no-one in their right mind would consider trading in their Mk4 R32 for either a VXR or a ST Focus??!!

Agreed, but if money is the concern and a car change is on the horizon....(that's all I was suggesting). Much the same as I'd have found it hard (personally) to have gone from a MkiV R to a MkV GTi... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

....Surely no-one in their right mind would consider trading in their Mk4 R32 for either a VXR or a ST Focus??!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? At least one of them is a pretty good car, will be cheaper to run and has good performance and similar build quality to VW now (although maybe not quite as good).

It keeps getting said but everybody has their own tastes and imo the Focus ST is a pretty good package at a good price although the looks dont quite do it for me.

[ QUOTE ]

And IMO the Focus ST is a pretty good package at a good price

[/ QUOTE ]

....and it has a wacky appeal for many...... 169144-ok.gif

Did a short run in a Mk5 DBP 5dr DSG on Sunday.

A much softer car than the Mk4

The DSG box was a very good set-up ... I like the manual shiffting where I am still in control ... not keen on the auto/sport modes... but a good match with the engine.

Cost to change is an issue.

So I will stay with Mk4.

The Mk5 is still a nice package tho' .. but not for me.

As you say "everybody has their own tastes" and imo neither the Ford or Vauxhall have the classiness that a Golf has. I personally don't like their styling either - interior or body. The Mk4 .:R is a classic and that's what I was comparing them to. But you are absolutely right about each to their own and we can all talk forever about our preferences. 169144-ok.gif

It sounds as if most of you agree and I admit to going on the same lines. I love my Mk 1v and still enjoy driving it I saw a Mk v in the dealers last week in aylesford deep blue it just doesn't look that special to me a bit bland the fella started it up and it sounded ok but I cannot justify chopping in my Mk 1v for it and a sack full of cash when I smile everytime I hear the Miltek roar on mine ! I would rather have a M3 second hand much more of a car beerchug.gif

All I meant was that £12k on top of the current car, for something very similar, seems an awful lot of hard-earned.

I just bought a whole OTHER car for less than that!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I changed my R32 for an Astra DIESEL and that was after a three month period of looking at everything.

Slightly different reasons to most though - Vandalism but I'm actually enjoying completely hassle free motoring, decent poke with 200kgs less weight and massive practicality - All bonuses after I thought my World would end when forced to sell the R.

Well Mcgee, just touched sore issue there, I sort of got fed up with people asking me what condition the car was in,when I advertised it once, this comment also applied to stealers,the car was driven from stealers,put in me garage under a dupont cover and has been driven twice one of those was a long life time based service interval, never seen rain,come to think of it has'nt seen a lot of sun,then you get VW dealers giving you: but we will have to see the car before we can give you a price, cheeky f****r at slough vw offered me £15K for it and even tried to sound like he was doing me a favour,oh that was after driving 200 miles so he could see it of course!!!!! and obviously another 200 miles on the clock would have knocked another £1K of the price!and then you have the tyre kicking time wasters who have to have a test drive to ensure the car is "straight" so if anybody wants the car and can come up with £19K by monday they can have it, but I am not holding my breath!

Cost to change seems to be the only thing putting some people off. Surely whatever TSNers buy next its going to cost a fairly large additional sum? Even if was only £3k to upgrade, I just want something different to drive!

Well that was my excuse (money) for not changing,and also because I did'nt like the mk5 at first, but I have bit the bullet on the money side and gone for it! and I genuinely like the Mk5 now,so it's bread and water for the forseeable future, but hopefully not looks of "Traitor" from MK4 32ers as the Mk4 is a peach,and handing mine over to the stealers will be a wrench,and I really hope, I dont have the same feeling when I changed er indoors three dr 150 TDi for an A3,of "what have I done, I want it back!! still regretting that one!!!!!!!

Fagash,

Whats the Colour/spec of your MKIV?

And

What colour/spec are you getting on the MKV?

Good luck with your new purchase by the way 169144-ok.gif

Hi MAstra 169144-ok.gif Your change from Mk4 R32 to Astra Diesel truly shows that what we drive really doesn't matter as long as we enjoy it. It's just different chapters in our book of life.

Hmmm - Actually driving the Ashtray certainly isn't more enjoyable but where I thought at first that I may as well jump off a bridge after selling the R, it actually brought some suprising benefits.

It's also better in some ways (shock!) - Interior, though not as nice to look at is more solid (NO rattles in 9k miles), the seats are more comfy and 1/2 leather so no middle seat sagging, the auto lights work a treat, the lights are better, and we can sleep in the back if ever needed!

Hi Wayne,Car is indigo Blue Pearl / Black half leather (sorry leatherette!) cruise, deliberately went for non leather,first 32 had full leather and the baggy seats used to p me off! 540 miles on the clock registered 29 04 2004,only managed to get her by good fortune as I could'nt locate a new one anywhere even rang the factory, to see if they had one kicking about!!rang every vw dealer in the country even tried Northern Ireland!!!! no joy, then out of the blue call from dealer to say that they had a new car, buyer could'nt get finance and she was mine on the condition no PX and £2K deposit over the phone there and then.Bought spare oz with P1 on, supaguard and have loads of stuff,genuine matts etc photos and press release with her, which obviously the stealer is not getting in the deal, e-bay watch out!!!

New car Shadow blue / 3dr / DSG / Leather / phone prep / winter pack of some sort, not sure which one

MAstra picked up new ford focus van yesterday for work, so can relate with oil burner as main vehicle now, just have to rearrange the letters on the boot a bit,slap a nice alfords 3inch chrome Xhaust accessory thingy on, play a bit of heavy garage in the cabin, and hey presto!!! ST3

Fagash,

Cheers for the reply, I had one of the last 3 door DBP, registered 1/3/04. Has leather, Sat Nav, Cruise and Sunroof. Did not really want Sat Nav as it added to the price, but it was the only one left in country unregistered.

Came up from the dealers in Romford, my local dealer called in a favour to get it for me.

Car has covered just 900 miles, drivers seat has been rebuilt by Bentley engineers as the dealership screwed up putting a new seat cover on it as the original cover had a hole in it, god knows how it passed the final inspection, whilst the seat was being sorted they also did the seat pan, so it has not (so far) bagged like most leather seats.

169144-ok.gif

Its just had all the Air condintion unit seals replaced as it kept loosing the gas, this is despite me running it each week and running the climate control.

Car was supaguarded from new, also have the press pack etc.

Had a look at a 5 door DBP earlier this week whilst mine was in, not sure on the styling about the rear end, but I do like it in grey and the Shadow Blue on a 3 door, plus I 'd also spec it with DSG!!

Anyway hope all goes well with the purchase.... beerchug.gif

PM me if you like, what did you get in the way of part ex?

ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My mate drives a Focus RS and although it's a nice motor i have to say after having a good look round the ST i think it's a much nicer car quite impressed to be honest. Not sure that i'd change the R for it but i have booked a test drive anyway just to see 169144-ok.gif