The TSN Mornington Crescent game...

syeldham

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it, is the whole point of it just to name a random underground station, then make up some rules that are designed to confuse every now and again?

I've googled it, and that's what wikipedia says anyway, so erm, I don't get why so many of you find it so amusing?

I don't get it, is the whole point of it just to name a random underground station, then make up some rules that are designed to confuse every now and again?

Rules are there to clarify, not confuse. They also explain why the station chosen is not random.

This explanation in itself allows me to move to Bromley-by-Bow.

At least, today it does. Mostly.

Or maybe not...

Under the Perkins Agreement, 1969. Clause 4b no participant is allowed to make the direct move to Mornington Crescent in their first turn, therefore I declare Tipex move merely a waypoint and not a destination. So I say Bellend Park.

Sorry Belsize park.

I've googled it, and that's what wikipedia says anyway, so erm, I don't get why so many of you find it so amusing?

Without wanting to expose the secret too obviously, I can say you have managed to summarise it rather well.

What people who try playing it on the internet don't seem to understand is that on the radio the humour is injected by people who are actually funny.

What people who try playing it on the internet don't seem to understand is that on the radio the humour is injected by people who are actually funny.

Indeed, I thought there had to be more too it, I thought I had the general idea, but googled it anyway, and it confirmed my suspicions, but also mentioned the original radio show, which I'm sure, added greatly to it, as really, it just doesn't work on the internets.

Without wanting to expose the secret too obviously, I can say you have managed to summarise it rather well.

I think you have managed to summarise it rather well.

I seem to remember the last valid, sequential move was, as Mollox pointed out, Turnham Green.

I guess we must accept the validity of St Pag's adjudication taking us to Ealing Broadway, which means Ritey's move to South Kensington is surely a vertical approach achievable only through the application of Montagu's third stationary rule...

Er...

Oxford Circus

(yes I can grin.gif )

No.

And no-one deserves to go to Ongar. I'll being it back on the map with a southerly circuitous return to... Surrey Quays.

I'd say we'll let you keep up next time, but if we play it any slower we could actually play in real time... on the real tube... grin.gif
[ QUOTE ]

"Unfortunately, this tradition appeals to the cliquery of some insecure people in a very obnoxious way. Lacking the comic talent of a Willie Rushton or Graeme Garden, for them the main appeal of the game becomes the feeling of superiority over those who are seeing the game played for the first time, and the warm feeling of being in the clique that knows the secret. For them, Mornington Crescent is no more than a socially acceptable form of trolling."

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you got that quote from Rusty, but it just sounds like someone who simply doesn't have the wit or imagination to join in. In fact I'd have said that complaining about the game in such a way was little short of trolling.

So there. (He said, in a witty and imaginative way tongue.gif ).