starting problem '95 2.8 Cabrio

cathal

Car has been slow to start for the past few weeks but has been starting. Last Friday on the way to the airport 2 1/2 hour drive over 220km I stopped for petrol 5k from airport and couldn't restart car - started with a jump. Came back on Tuesday morning and car started first go and drove home - same journey as on Friday. Dropped off stuff at flat and went out to car again, it wouldn't start. Garage next door and tried to jumpstart it - no joy. Also failed to start it on a tow. Called in there this morning and they reckon it's the remote locking button jobbie - but this has never worked since I bought the car (last Sept). Sat in the car there this morning then and the car started. Didn't notice yesterday but is there an immobiliser light on the dash? The car has only done 100km (60k miles). Bit of a bang this morning I thought when it started - like some excess fuel waiting to be ignited from the failed atart attempts yesterday. Car doesn't appear to be overheating - indicator fine and engine seems normal temp. What should I be looking for? Any ideas? Is there an ECU that needs checking or anything? There is an AUDI garage down the road but they're robbing b**tards. I think it might be an elctrical problem.... Help!

1st off tow-starting not recomended...2 reasons

1, if any slack in timming belt, the suddern 'jerk' can jump a tooth and..disaster.

2, you can put too much un burnt fuel and it will kill you cat...you won't know until you go for an emissions test.

Does the car turn over ok? Have you had the battery drop tested? and the alternator charge rate tested?

If you've got the spare key, try using that to see if you have the same problems.

Your theory about the immobiliser sounds plausible, so I would check that it isn't the transponder in the key which is faulty. If the fault recurrs with both keys, it'd be worth getting the car checked on a VAG computer if you haven't done so already.

Had thought about the spare key but it's with a mate who's on holiday till the weekend, so can try that then. I don't see why it would start then this morning though. Do I have to go to AUDI to get a reading from VAG computer - is that the diagnostic tool? I reckoned it was the battery after the drive haven't been driving at night with it - maybe the altenator is keeping it charged but the battery isn't holding much juice - topped it up with water as I thought the cells weren't covered.... the lads in the garage reckon they tested the battery and it's fine.... but it started with a jump last Friday and not yesterday... Strange one.

• 2 weeks later...

Found problem - Ignition pulse generator. When engine was hot the metal expanded and the contacts were too far apart. On cool down it was ok again. 284 Euros at your friendly Audi garage, no messing around though and got the job done quick smart.