Alpine report

DB6Vantage

Wednesday, I came back home from my trip. Dealer picked me up in the airport with a brand new Passat. 20 mins later, we arrived. There she was, standing in front of the dealership, looking gorgeous, in her Shadow Blue coat, shinny shoes, with Dunlop ruber soles. She was grinning...and so was I!!

Well had the car for 2 and a half days now. Mainly, and for those of you who have not yet taken the plunge, and are still not convinced after having read the TSN GTi forum, I have only got one thing to say to you: get one!!!

5 doors are great IMO. Just a practical option. I like driving quite far back, and had no complaints from the passengers behind. Roomy enough. Arm rest on the back seat is a nice touch on a car this size. I didnt go for the leather as I found it a tid bit cheap looking, and I quite like the retro look of the normal seats. I did have a complain from a friend who is quite big in size, about the bucket seats. Apparently not very comfortable if your back side is of significant size...

My car has a few things which previous cars didnt have, (or so I was told) like additional coat hangers on the door pillar, and a button on the clime control with "DUAL" written on it. Don't know if any of you have these too. I also have drawers under the front seats.:)

iPod prep. Not bad actually. Shame on it only displays track numbers on the computer and stereo, but Im happy with it. I also have some adaptors to put in the iPod slot to make it fit to each iPod model, unfortunately, the nano holder didn't come with it, but I can still use it. When plugged, the iPod displays the VW logo on the screen.

Engine, gearbox, brakes, etc...everything has been said before. IT IS SWEEEEEET!!!! very nice indeed.

Now, what I don't like. Head rests in the front go up and down, but can't tilt back and forth. Shame. Most probably due to the shape. Suspension is a bit hard IMO. Good for handling, but not so for comfort. Apparently, its worse in the back seats. (haven't sat on the back yet...but my mates complained...) Xenons are great. I dislike the fact they are too high and I have to go get it fixed. Had a few complaints, so gave them the high beams. That fixed the moaners!

All in all, a great car!!!!!!!!!! I am veeeeery happy. Have driven 480 kms, so far. Fuel consumption not too bad.

Now for the anegdote and for a bit of advice, DO NOT drive in snow without proper equipment. The announced snow yesterday, but I still went out for dinner. At about 1am, there was almost 10 cms of snow on the roads. I decided to take my chance. Was good for about 500 meters, even up a slight slope, trouble is, at the top there was a traffic light, and that fecked me up. I had to abandon the car where I could and go sleap at someone's house. This morning, it was chaos in town. 20 cms of snow. Went to get the car, but was unable to drive off...I finally managed after having my feat soaked and my hands frozen to get some snow out of the was and get to the road which was clean by 9am. I started mucking about at 7am...Anyway, im getting my winter tyres fitted this afternoon.

I will post pics later, so if any of you have any requests for something specific about the car you want me to photograph, let me know!

DB

beerchug.gif

169144-ok.gif Great to hear yet another driver enthusiastic about their new GTI after the long wait. I'd like to understand better what you mean by "DUAL"....a pic? And def a pic of the drawers under front seats even if I can't have them! I'm sure others will be interested in how the OEM iPod prep looks in the GTI. Cheers 169144-ok.gif

Indeed Red, Lake Geneva region.

I think there is something different on where the rear seat belts rest. Will have a look tomorrow. Do any of you have the additional coat hangers behind the front door pillars? (not sure thats how its called...) Drawers are a nice extra. Still empty, but I have a whole bag full of junk which I had in my previous car. Im forcing myself to throw it away and accumulate new junk.

Will have a look at the VIN code and let you know on sunday. Tomorrow Im off to Germany, so will give her a good going over ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Drawers

619369-DSC01012.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

I have these on my Polo... useful, but also completely useless. They're actually quite shallow, and not that deep either -- I've struggled to get a CD in one before. Of course the ones on the Golf could be bigger than those on my Polo (we can but hope), but even so they're not quite as good as you initially expect. frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Drawers

619369-DSC01012.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

I have these on my Polo... useful, but also completely useless. They're actually quite shallow, and not that deep either -- I've struggled to get a CD in one before. Of course the ones on the Golf could be bigger than those on my Polo (we can but hope), but even so they're not quite as good as you initially expect. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right they are useless my wife couldn't even get a single CD jewel case in her Polo without juggling it around to try & fit. What were they designed for ?

[ QUOTE ]

Ooo....I just noticed: "Arriving March '06".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully I'll know more in a few weeks when (god willing) I should get a build date. Right now it's pretty much up in the air although the dealership says that is when they expect it to be delivered. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You're right they are useless my wife couldn't even get a single CD jewel case in her Polo without juggling it around to try & fit. What were they designed for ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirely sure but mine currently hold a few packs of mints and my darts... so I do get some use out of them at least wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Drawers

619369-DSC01012.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have them on out SEAT Ibiza too but they must be bigger than the polos as its were the de-icer lives as well as a few other odds and ends. But the more i look at the GTi ones they don't look very big or deep frown.gif