Changing CV joints

Wobby

I beleive i have a CV joint just starting to wear, with a clicking noise on righthand lock (only at lower speeds in 1st or 2nd gear). Going to check first make sure nothing else is out of place.

Are the CV joints difficult to replace? We have changed them before but not on VW's. Any advice would be appreciated, maybe one of Mulkbear's (God!) exploded diagrams would be very nice smirk.gif

I am to change both sides, i had both CV boots split in two for a while crazy.gif. Cleaned them and fitted new boots but i think the damage is done, so i will do the faulty one first and the other side as quickily as possible.

Any special tools required? Does the driveshaft need completely removing or can the CV joint be split without removal of the driveshaft from the gearbox?

Any people heard of this company on ebay... Ebay - CV Joint . I have questioned them, they have provided a part number and assure me there parts are good quality and direct from their own manufacturing international company. He reckons that a number of car manufacturers buy from them in Europe and stamp and sell them as dealer parts. Hes quoted £47.00 for 2 inclusive of delivery!

My concern is these cost a lot of time to fit and i dont want to be replacing them because they are rubbish in a few months. Other option is from a dealer, not got a price for the parts yet.

Eurocarparts i consider excellent for quality parts:-

AWX Manual - OEM Part £78.75 Each

Quality replacement part £64.79 Each

If i can't get any info on the quality of the ebay supplier then i better go for the OEM parts from Eurocarparts.

If you have read this far you have done well !!! 169144-ok.gif

Didn't split the joint off the shaft to fit the boots.

Never used them before, but these were stretch fit!! Ripped first one in half trying to get it on.

Then bought the correct tool to run the boot up once it has been heated in water (thoroughly dried after), the tool is a conical piece of plastic the correct size so that the boot pulls off the end of it onto the joint. Had to pull them on inside out to have them the right way afterwards.

These were none VW smile.gif. Yes we are talking outer CV joints, it seems rare for the inner ones to fail. I pressume because of the differant design of the inners?

Thanks

Top tips

*loosen the 17mm allen key before you take the wheel off

*If the CV joint will not seperate you can use the 17mm bolt to spilt it by winding the bolt all the was though the CV joint and it will pust it apart

*You only need to take the curved bottm arm off and get someone to hold the steering full lock to get the drive shaft out of it hole

*Do not let CV boot grease get into an cuts on you hands as it is should never by aloud into the blood stream

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

Top tips

*If the CV joint will not seperate you can use the 17mm bolt to spilt it by winding the bolt all the was though the CV joint and it will pust it apart

*You only need to take the curved bottm arm off and get someone to hold the steering full lock to get the drive shaft out of it hole

*Do not let CV boot grease get into an cuts on you hands as it is should never by aloud into the blood stream

[/ QUOTE ]

CV Joint done today! Many thanks Mulkbear, we reckon you have saved us 2-3 hours with your advice. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Top tips

[/ QUOTE ]

But the big question is why does the passat grease stink????? No other make have smelly grease, and even the new stuff doesn't smell. SMOKE6.GIF

• 5 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Top tips

[/ QUOTE ]

CV Joint done today! Many thanks Mulkbear, we reckon you have saved us 2-3 hours with your advice. beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to sound like a dumb question smashfreakB.gif, but I take it you disconnect the curved arm's ball joint....is there a special VW tool to split this ball joint, I beleive the ball joints are larger than normal?? confused.gif

Another stupid question. Are the allen bolts normal, right-hand threaded, on both sides of the car? Cannot undo mine on drivers' side (UK)! I know they are meant to be tight, but a 3ft bar on the end of the socket with me bouncing on top gotta undo it easier than that!

I dont remember any being oppositely threaded, but its a while ago i did it. TBH I cant even remember what i had for my tea yesterday. confused.gifblush.gif

But thinking about it.... I REMEMBER NOW !!!!!! grin.gif

HAD CHICKEN AND CHIPS...... hope this helps... yelrotflmao.gif

• 7 months later...

Re: the ABS speed sensor.

Is there anything special you have to do to pull this out slightly ...?

I've tried with pliers, I've tried hitting it with a hammer then pulling, I've tried to wedge the hammer in and place one foot on the lower suspension arms to pull harder.

NO joy, I don't even think it's moved.

Anyone?

Also regarding the curved bottom arm, is it the one attached in the photo below:

TIA