MFD2 or Tom Tom

Rayza

In really built up areas, like Soho in London, my GPS loses reception because it gets false readings from reflected signals off windows/buildings. That's pretty standard I think tho.

Not sure I agree with your comment about an OEM product being less of a breakin magnet. My insurance went up because I have the sound pack, as it's considered a greater risk even though it looks identical! The MFD does look flash, whereas my TomTom is never left in the car.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ability of GPS receivers to hold a fix in difficult or urban canyon conditions is improving with each new generation of GPS chipset. My first GPS units could take ages for TTFF (Time to first fix), and would lose fix relatively easily. With the arival of the SIRF2 chipset, this improved, but they could still be be caught out in an area with lots of tall buildings. The later SIRF3 chipsets (like in the new Tomtom-One) are even more resilient, and will obtain and hold GPS fix in situations that not long ago were unthinkable. I don't know what sort of chipset the MFD2 uses, but guaranteed it isn't the latest generation, and probably isn't even the generation before that. Then again, many built-in car systems do not rely on GPS alone for position data.

Si.

I thought they must be getting better or there would be a lot of people frequently getting lost !

Regards break in - the MFD may look flash (and admittedly there are proabably a fair few MkIV owners out there who would buy one) but the theifs' "target market" for a (coded) OEM satnav must be resricted compared to that of a portable so I think this reduces the chances of theft (I hope !)

Also thieves are target those cars with a suction mark left on the windscreen, as a lot of people leave tem in the glovebox, so they just smash the window to check. Thefts of these kind of sat navs are increasing at an alarming rate - especially with the run up to christmas and is worth more to them than trying to nick headunits (nice ones).