Gas Discharge Headlights Question

GTiQueen

I see that a few of you have these extras. Do you get flashed a lot? People seem to think I have them on full beam mad.gif They do seem to go 'up' in the fog though, but driving behind someone has them just illuminating the number plate.

Is this normal on the mark V? We have them on our Tourag too but no-one ever flashes us in that. Do you think I need to get it checked?

Thanks

The dealer is under strict instruction to check and properly align Xenons before you collect your car. It sounds as if your dealer may have been slack and it's worth asking him to check the alignment rather than going in and accusing him of anything.

Always use dipped headlights in fog and also the fog lights. Fog reflects light back at you hence reducing your ability to see ahead. Although my lights also seem properly aligned Xenons are particularly bright and some other drivers just think you haven't got them dipped....until you quickly flash them! And then they know!!

I do get flashed the odd time, have had a couple of people pull over when I have been following them on hilly country roads, lots around here. Quite handy mind you if need to tramp on smile.gif

You can adjust the level of the lights yourself as on the MKV the autolevelers self calibrate every time you switch on. I think on the MKIV you needed the computer attached to set the Zero point.

I gave mine one turn each which seems to have stopped me lighting up the rear view mirror of cars in front of me. You will find the adjustment screw to the right of the drivers light unit, and to the left of the passenger light, it is a white plastic hexagon key.

You cannot help dazzle anyone on hilly country roads regardless of headlight type due to simple rise and fall physics.

You can easily fine-tune the range of headlighting by using the small wheel control to the right of the main lighting control. This adjustment can only be done while the headlights are dipped. As mikemod says, with Xenons this is automatic because of dynamic headlight range control.

"Ground Control to Major Tom...." - one of David Bowie's best.

I haven't seen that white plastic hexagon key....I'll have to have a look.

It does seem that alot of the Mk5 golfs coming from the factory have there lights set incorrect from what i have been told. Alot of dealers just do a basic PDI and some miss quite a few things off as they expect it too be correct. Not good but thats life.

If you think there setup incorrect then ask the dealer to check them.

mine have just been realigned by dealer. i was getting flashed all the time, then went to france and they set them at -2. this was a little low but stopped the flashing. stealer just reset them to -1.35. i think they said the factory preset is -1.25. havnt been flashed so far and i can see far enough into the distance to drive safely.

ask for setting -1.35

I'm sure the users prefer to see the pics in posts more than we do tongue.gif

Just wondering how you know to adjust to "1.35" as all I can see is 'U' or 'O' confused.gif

The reason I ask is that when I had my xenons adjusted on my S3 I'm sure the dealer did it electronically via the VAG diagnostics interface. This would potentially explain the ability to adjust such small increments so accurately??