GTI vs VXR

Chins

Only had the VXR a few days, but these are my initial impressions, obviously they are subject to change without notice!!

Exterior

You really notice the difference between the rounded GTI and the more angular VXR. I expected the VXR to be a bit more in the face than it is, but it isn't a subtle as the GTI.

Interior

The GTI has a nicer steering wheel and gearknob. The VXR's gearknob should be in a truck and the stitching feels like it could cut you. The plastic and feel of the steering wheel are also cheap. Both cars feel very solidly built, even if the Golf has less material (55kg lighter than the VXR). My daughter has already complained about the weight of the doors. Seat wise, the VXR stuffs the GTI. My leather Recaro's are superb and hold you in a lot better than the GTI. Not a lot of difference in the quality of the stereo. Not sure than people over 6ft will fit in the VXR well, my hair seems to touch the roof!!

I'd also like to change the dials in the VXR for the GTI's, the VXR's feel a touch Max Power unlike the classy GTI ones.

Engine

The VXR's engine is actually smoother at lower revs than the GTI's. At medium velocity (as far as I've got so far), the VXR can splutter a little, it has certainly not displayed the all or nothing reported by magazines.

Steering and Suspension

The GTI rides SLIGHTLY better, but the VXR does a good job. The VXR is a lot more pointy than the GTI, had to be careful not to turn in too aggressively.

Driving

The GTI certainly delivers its power in a less aggressive manner; it's more progressive and predictable. You seem to be able to sense the limits better than in the VXR.

I cant decide which car has less steering wheel feel, I'd say the VXR, but the difference is very small. What is beyond dispute is the fact that the VXR is harder to drive smoothly in a mediumly aggressive manner. You need to change gear a little slowly and feed in the clutch more than the GTI.

The GTI inspires confidence, it doesn't take much to drive it quickly and is as obedient as Dennis Thatcher, the VXR more like Wayne Rooney.

Smile factor. I've taken the VXR out for a drive for no reason already, where the GTI stayed on the drive. Isn't that the point of a hot hatch and all for £4,000 less?

[ QUOTE ]

Good initial review. Did you consider the ST too or did you order before that was available?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did consider the ST, but I got a great deal on the VXR when I ordered it and as Gareth has posted, the colour coding leaves something to be desired.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for you initial impressions.

I know its really early days yet but are you happier overall with the VXR over the GTI then ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the honeymoon period, but i wanted something a little bit mor raw- the VXR fits that bill. I prefer the VXR today, but understand 100% why people would buy the GTI over the VXR

..It is the honeymoon period, but i wanted something a little bit mor raw- the VXR fits that bill. I prefer the VXR today, but understand 100% why people would buy the GTI over the VXR

[/ QUOTE ]

......right. 169144-ok.gif

It'll be interesting to see an update as you get to spend more time with the VXR.

GR8 Review 169144-ok.gif

A good friend is a Vauxhall salesman and he cant believe I bought a GTI without waiting for a test drive in a VXR.

To be honest I got fed up waiting for one to arrive at his garage (they still dont have one yet) But I've been promised their demo for a few days once it turns up.

It will be interesting to see if I draw a similar conclusion cool.gif