114 mph on M4

dvdstry

Lads and lasses, just a quick post to see what sort of fine or penalty I'll be looking at getting. It was a fine Sunny Friday morning, Id been away for 3 weeks working and was looking forward to coming home and spending some quality time with my wife and kids.. Anyway all was going well until that new Madonna record came on, you know the one with abba in it..I had a very open stretch of the M4 so I decided to put me foot down...It was after 30 odd seconds of high speed I saw my road angel flashing red and SCREEMING LASER LASER LASER... Before I knew it about 1 km away I saw the dreaded white van...(Between junct 13-14 west bound)I hit the breaks and thought all would be OK..Anyway 8 days later a brown letter arrived at my house yes I had been caught.. Can anybody let me know what sort of fine, ban or points I'm looking at.. Ive heard everything from a 2 month ban and fine or 6 points and fine..

Cheers

Dai 169144-ok.gif

Anything over 100 is bad news.. much over 110 and you could be looking at them throwing 'dangerous driving' at you.. which is really bad news!

If you've had the brown envelope and it's given you the choice of a fixed fine and points.. i would jump at the chance!

[ QUOTE ]

Anything over 100 is bad news.. much over 110 and you could be looking at them throwing 'dangerous driving' at you.. which is really bad news!

If you've had the brown envelope and it's given you the choice of a fixed fine and points.. i would jump at the chance!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt V much you'll hve the fixed route. Keep cool and wait for the summons.

Ban is probable IMO unless you have a strong case for not getting one - work etc.

I really really feel lucky and feel for you.

I got stopped @ 133 on the M4 several years ago, the copper was reading me the riot act which was justified. I was expecting the worst and then several rubber neckers decided to collide right by us. I helped the copper clear the motorway and move everything out of the way. He then told me to F off and not do it again.

That i didn't do for a few years until i got caught in 2002 on the M40 @ 98.52 average over 1.5 miles, they and i knew i had been doing far more than that but i got 3 points and didn't argue, just said thankyou.

My point is that camera's don't have discretion, in both cases they said i was driving too fast and i agree but they explained the risk was the people who drive on the motorway once a year and cannot judge the speed of approaching traffic.

If i were you i would get a good solicitor, be really apologetic and put forward the fact that you know you were in the wrong and won't do it again.

I now have a car that only does 90 flat out so i don't really have to worry. My bike does 150 but that's a separate matter wink.gif

Jon.

Let me tell you something I was told once. I can't of course comment on weather or not it is true!...

A man was once looking to sell his car, and a prospective purchaser was test driving his car at the time and date confirmed on the speeding letter. The chap had told the seller his name was Paul Smith and he lived in the nearby town of Sheffield about 20 miles away from the seller.

He drove a silver Mondeo, but as he had just come to look at the car, having called the seller on the number in a for sale ad in the side window of the the sellers car, the seller, of course had no further info about the man and didn't take a note of his car's number.

So, this was explained on the reply to the police when it was confirmed that Paul Smith was the driver, as he was the guilty party. The owner of the car was, of course, innocent, although the police did ask further questions of the car owner, who was happy to help as much as he could. Now at this point the police may have been a tad suspicious that the seller was not being totally honest with them, but as the seller could not be presumed guilty of anything, the matter was dropped as it should be. Maybe someday the police will bump into a silver mondeo driver called Paul Smith from Sheffield, but don't hold your breath!! grin.gif

Just thought you might like this story for no particular reason....Have you sent the reply back yet?? grin.gif

From memory that would be likely to come up at Newbury court ........ and a few years ago that would have been very bad news....they were very tough and you would get a ban for anything over 100.

Cannot comment on the current situation but I cannot believe that they are more lenient now.

If I got a fixed ticket I would consider myself extremely lucky.

Last few times I 've been along there I would have loved to be able to go as fast as 70 !!!

[ QUOTE ]

From memory that would be likely to come up at Newbury court ........ and a few years ago that would have been very bad news....they were very tough and you would get a ban for anything over 100.

Cannot comment on the current situation but I cannot believe that they are more lenient now.

If I got a fixed ticket I would consider myself extremely lucky.

Last few times I 've been along there I would have loved to be able to go as fast as 70 !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope they are more lenient now!

Good story, Paul37. But it may not be long before they catch on to that one. So if the matter is still pending for the gentleman concerned, it would be a good idea to be ready to show that the car was actually being marketed. No doubt he will be able to point to the Autotrader ad, or the ebay entry. Or, at the very least, a slightly dog-eared and rainsplattered card that was in the newsagent's window.

Because if I was plod, I'd be very tempted to ask for that. And if it couldn't be found, I'd wonder about a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, or maybe perjury.

Firstly, sorry if I seemed rude, I didn't mean to be and I know some people live by a very strict ethical code where they will respect any given law/ruling no matter how unfair it may be, I am also ethical, but would not jeopordise my livelyhood or put it in the hands of the judicial system unless absolutely necessary, especially an automated system like a letter sent through the post with no police stopping me etc. After all, if the police really beleived that speed was dangerous in the circumstances, why was a car not sent to stop the driver?? answer me that! I just don't like to see people shafted by rules we are supposed to live by that are unfair sometimes!

The story I used is actually true, the car was being low level marketed by signs in the car windows, no other ads. so nothing to prove. Also, there is no case of catching on, as suspicious or not, the police can not assume guilt under our legal system and guilt has to be proven. They did put on pressure/hassle/try to intimidate, but the individual concerned was having none of it and the matter was dropped.

Randell,

Please don't accuse me of being dishonest unless you have never exceeded the speed limit in your car!! grin.gif 99% of us speed virtually everyday to a greater or lesser extent, it's inappropriate use of speed that is dangerous, not speed itself remember, despite what crap the powers that be would have us all believe FIREdevil.gif

• 1 month later...

How can he possibly give your cock and bull story idea Paul37, when he quite clearly said the policeman had read him the riot act. - To then say that the bloke the policeman was shouting at wasn't really him would look just a bit stupid.

Your story was entertaining, but frankly not plausible.

• 2 months later...