V6 Toureg upgrades

Prhim

• 3 months later...

Check digi-tec (expensive in the UK exclusively through http://www.euro-sportscars.com/digitec.htm) . I don't know much about them but at least they have specific tuning for the car for some time now and that the agent in UK sells Pagani. Also I think digi-tec torque (340nm) is the highest at lowest rpm among other published tuners figures.

Porsche Cayenne gets 250PS at 6000rpm and 310nm flat! between 2500 and 5000 from the same engine - check the curves on Porsche German web site which suggests Touareg V6 outputs could be more to do with cross brand marketing than real "torque" adjustments.

P.S. My Touareg should arrive in December

Dont go for DIgi Tech they are overpriced with a minimal gain.

The engine is the same for the R32 which is a hike from 240bhp to 260 but a price of £849.... EEK2.GIF

Espeshally when compared to AMD, which is £500 for a very similar gain.... and they have a rolling road, so you can get actual figures after the conversion....

You know what to do wink.gifbeerchug.gif

AMD rolling road sounds good. I agree that 900 pounds is ridicules, especially when the same costs the same in the same company but in euros in Germany (obviously eurosportcars already prepared themselves for joining the euro) AMD hasn't done Touareg V6 yet. So someone has to pioneer.

Specs... I really did want to go for R5 TDI. You know it can be easely tuned for 500nm! Until I test drove one. Frankly speaking I think VW should gave up PD and have the balls to admit that in the era of 64bit computers diesel common rail is the technolodgy to go. After I have driven new 730d there is no reason to feel vibrations at idle or hear a sewing machine when pressing on. And VW does have the engine to put in - a new V6 3.0 TDi for A8 - 233ps, 450nm. Eventually they will may be in 2 years time. So I had to go for V6 then even though i hate 9mpg I had when pressing on during test drive and never better than 15mpg doing fast motorways. BTW MATT WHAT IS YOUR BEST MPG?

I hope that tuned V6 on steel is going to be more fun than other cars in the range due to lower weight and refinement.

options hm.. still biting my lip if I should have had a rear dif block (how you climb this ice hill in Verbier on summer tyres without it?)...

I personally prefer not to go for fully loaded so only "THE essential Touareg List tm":

1. xenons

2. comfort leather sits

3. hi fi upgrade (thus had to not to have nav - it is CD?!! in 2003!! VW... obviously plans to keep sales up with more goodies next year) and I still use my beloved Garmin GPS V)

4. 18 wheels

5. convenience pack (rain sensors, auto mirror etc.)

6. parking sensors (I can do without but I was told no chance to sell the car to London punters without one)

7. and this amazing push of a button retractable towing hook

it is silver and auto of course (it is not sport - do you really want to spend 800 pounds on this paddle shifts? I know they are the same as in Bently Cont but do you?)

My best mpg is still no better than around 18 so far... apparently, the cars get better as they are run in, but i'm just glad the company pays for the fuel, not me!

My spec is quite similar to yours, except I did go for the SatNav (and it's not bad, better than i thought) and I went for the memory leather pack - as my wife and I use the car roughly equally (and she's 5in shorter than me!). I do have the Sport model, but mostly because I like the extra chrome trim, which looks great with the Off-road grey paintwork (agree, the paddles are little more than a novelty on-road).

One note of caution tho.. in the six weeks I've had mine, it has mysteriously discharged the battery twice - leaving me stranded on a cold morning waiting two-plus hours for the VW technician to come out. It's currently being tested at Ridgeway Reading to see if they can identify the problem (I'm 99.9% sure I didn't leave any lights on..). Will let you all know what the outcome is.

Meantime, a word of praise for Ridgeway, who have been very attentive and brought me out a replacement Touareg (albeit in sickly blue!) on Tuesday while they have mine.

Chrom pack looks nice indeed - I would love to order it but it is a mystery to me why we have in the UK only 50% of options available in Germany. So I found that you can use some Porsche Cayenne accessories like snow chains or cooler for T as well as a battery charger...

Matt did you make you mind about V6 tuning? Porsche Cayenne V6 tiptronic only manages 9.7 secs to 62 miles... with 30PS more and better torque curves. I wonder what AmD can do...

Replacement Touareg?! They must be trying hard! It wasn't V10 though?

In the States people do have all sort of comments about VW "hi-end" service. I really don’t know what to expect after 4 years painless co-existence with BMW323. Not a single thing went wrong with the car and I never been to the dealer - they collect cars for service and deliver.

At the moment, haven't done anything about tuning the toerag. Partly because I wanted to run it in first, and also because cash is a little tight until I've sold my S3. AMD would certainly be top of my list (they tuned my S3 v nicely indeed), but they're not the cheapest in the world.

To be brutally honest, if I want speed then I'm lucky enough to have a Boxster S to have some fun in, so it's kinda 50/50 whether I'll tune the Touareg at all.

I was peeved at first when I heard about the imminent arrival of the Cayenne V6 - but then having played with both the Touareg and Cayenne, I can honestly say that I think the Touareg looks better both inside and out. If I had the money, a Cayenne Turbo would be great, but for now I'm happy with the V6 Touareg!

Final thought... a Porker that takes very nearly 10 secs to do 0-60....? Jeeeeesus.

• 4 weeks later...

I made my mind now: It appears that the route to go will be amd remap plus miltek forthcoming exhaust - should give a hike you can notice - hopefully in excess of 250bhp. Probably just a remap is not enough to bother. BTW Porsche said somewhere in the press releases that their exhaust and cat system contributes a lot to the output and torque of Cayenne V6.

Further thoughts on 0-60 in 9.7secs for Porsche tiptronic. I suspect that Touareg auto is better (the same figures for manual and auto) and in tuned form should be closer to Porsche manual 9.1secs, hopefully AMD with miltek can break 8 secs barrier…That is V8 territory you know with 10 grand to spare…

• 2 weeks later...

So have you ordered your Touareg yet? What spec / colour etc did you decide on?

Will be interested to hear how you get on if you do the mods; I'm still undecided so will be good to hear your impressions.

Mine has now got nearly 4k on the clock and just in the last 500 or so, the engine has started to loosen up nicely. Wouldn't say no to a bit more power, but it's certainly not the embarrassment in the acceleration stakes that I had feared...

My silver car (new built – no cover on top of the dashboard, plastic rear bumper protector etc., auto, not a sport but18 tyres, leather xenons etc) is in UK and I plan to collect it in December ( they put tow bar, financing etc...). The mods... well I really want to see if the auto would manage to stay in the gear on 80+ motorways slightly uphill and if it survives the horse trailer. Glad to see that you are happy with yours so far (I suppose you use Optimax all the way consumption still 18mpg?)). At the end of the day it is not s racing car… Amazingly there was a guy in Germany that has a V8 and he had a V6 for replacement and he realised that V8 is waste of money in everyday life…

How is your battery? No more glitches I hope? What was the reason? How are the tyres? I assume you have stock turanzas. I have heard there are much better tyres around. BTW did you try Touareg unlimited yet?

P.S. I now even more than ever convinced that V6 3.2 in spite lack of popularity in the continent is the best Tourareg until V6 3.0 TDI appears…see autocar review of R5…

My Unlimited day is booked for 24th Nov; will let you know how I get on. I've got Bridgestone tyres on there at the moment (not sure which model) and they seem ok - they do seem to be wearing fairly quick, but then I do tend to chuck it around. 18Mpg still the average, regardless of fuel type.

No further glitches from the battery. Started first time after having been left at Heathrow for 12 days... very strange.

<Bridgestone turanza> hmm I never believed in OEM tyres. Specially those designed for "luxury" salons - Pirelli Scorpions Zeros look more the business ( http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/tyres/catalog/tyre_product.jhtml?selected=desc&productid=2163&catid=UK_SUVHP ). Did you try yours off road? Many testers felt Bridgestone do not provide enough grip.

No off-roading for me yet - suspect the only time I will go off-road will be on the 'unlimited' day! To be honest, I'm too worried about wrecking the alloys or scraping the sides with thorns! We really just bought the car because it was big and comfy - and pretty smart-looking with it. Very vain, I know.

Will bear the tyres you mentioned in mind when it comes to replace the current set.

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

My best mpg is still no better than around 18 so far... apparently, the cars get better as they are run in, but i'm just glad the company pays for the fuel, not me!

My spec is quite similar to yours, except I did go for the SatNav (and it's not bad, better than i thought) and I went for the memory leather pack - as my wife and I use the car roughly equally (and she's 5in shorter than me!). I do have the Sport model, but mostly because I like the extra chrome trim, which looks great with the Off-road grey paintwork (agree, the paddles are little more than a novelty on-road).

One note of caution tho.. in the six weeks I've had mine, it has mysteriously discharged the battery twice - leaving me stranded on a cold morning waiting two-plus hours for the VW technician to come out. It's currently being tested at Ridgeway Reading to see if they can identify the problem (I'm 99.9% sure I didn't leave any lights on..). Will let you all know what the outcome is.

Meantime, a word of praise for Ridgeway, who have been very attentive and brought me out a replacement Touareg (albeit in sickly blue!) on Tuesday while they have mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi hi,

I am the owner of a V6 (Singapore) and I have the same problem as yours regarding the battery glitches but I am 100% sure I did not leave any light on before I left for a week's holidays. Now I am now waiting for the local distributor to come and get my car started again. Wondering if this is a common problem among the V6s. So what reason did your VW technician for the battery glitch ? By the way, my car is only 2 months old.