New Honda Civic

felixthecat1

My brother in law works for honda in swindon and will have one of the new civic'c all christmas for testing, will post pics when he comes up over crimbo, think it will be the deisel version.

Apparently production has started and my other half will be getting hers soon as part of the family/friend arrangement honda has with their staff.

You basically get a new car every 10 months, insured and taxed for about 120 quid pm, choices of civic 2.0 sport, deisel, CRV and accord, no type R though, pitty could have some fun

[ QUOTE ]

My brother in law works for honda in swindon and will have one of the new civic'c all christmas for testing, will post pics when he comes up over crimbo, think it will be the deisel version.

Apparently production has started and my other half will be getting hers soon as part of the family/friend arrangement honda has with their staff.

You basically get a new car every 10 months, insured and taxed for about 120 quid pm, choices of civic 2.0 sport, deisel, CRV and accord, no type R though, pitty could have some fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Good scheme! 169144-ok.gif

My mates got a Volvo V50 Sport T5 2.0 (i think that's the model - it's the sporty one!!), all in for about £150 a month. Plus he gets a new on every 6 months. Mileage limit of 6k per 6 months but if he goes near his limit, he swaps with his mum who works for volvo and does bugger all miles in hers!! Good stuff! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but not as good as a Golf IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? How can you say that yet? Perhaps you just mean you prefer the looks of your Golf to a car that has hardly been seen anywhere in the UK yet?

I can't say I like it's looks either, but how anyone can say it's not as good as Golf, well I'm not sure.

Then again, nothing is, we know that.

Wow, MrMe - you give in easily, lol.

In terms of exterior looks I think it looks OK, no doubt will make an impact on the road. Admittedly I've not driven it but personally didn't like the front of the car (which was a disappointment - I though Honda's radical design would be better); the back wwas definitely the poorest part of the design (overly designed); and the interior seeemed plasticky (cheap) - I didn't like the layout, to me it wasn't user friendly.

That said, it moves design on (I admit the Golf design is tres conservative) but I prefer a quality feel to a car and I just didn't feel the Civic had it.

[ QUOTE ]

ooh, unlucky. But then again you didn't miss much, lol. Seriously though it will probably sell well as it is fairly good looking and mr or mrs from the street won't mind the interior (I'm fussy that way anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus Honda make exceptionally good cars and have done for the last 20 years.That'll have something to do with the sales success that it'll enjoy 169144-ok.gif

The only thing they're missing is a VW badge. tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Damn it, I was down there on Thursday morning.

I'm not driving 250 miles back though....I'll find one up here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to the Honda web site, it doesn't work so well in IE but if you use Firefox or Moxilla it is an amazing interactive way to view the car.

Oh, I still don't think you can compare a Gilf or any VW with a Jap car. I don't know where they get the body panels from but they are still tinny and hollow sounding. I know someone with a 4x4 thing and it's crap. Hard to explain but when you let go of the handle you get a nasty tinny slap, not a solid thud, its the old soor slam test, Honda still fail that too often. openfire.gif

Seen quite a few of the new Civics on the A419 that passes between Swindon and the Honda factory. The 2.2 litre diesel certainly shifts between 40 & 80mph.

If it is as reliable as my Honda Accord (2½ years, 29K miles and not a single fault) it deserves to sell.

I'm seriously considering a last model 10 month old Civic Type-S to replace my Accord.

One word. Quality.

Audi/VW are in a different league.

Years ago I had a lovely little Golf GTI Mk2, one of the last, big bumper, BBS wheels the lot. Cost about £13K back then. Loved that car but was seduced by a second-hand Honda Prelude VTEC. Awesome drive, very very quick. And cost new about £22K, not far off double the Golf.

And do you know what? It was crap in comparison. Seats were painfully uncomfortable, road noise was diabolical, and it just felt cheap. If it had cost the same it'd have been a disappointment, but for nearly double?

Got rid as soon as for an Audi A3 T-sport, now on my fourth Audi.

Honda do showroom appeal well, and reliability but there is no depth of quality to the cars what-so-ever compared to VW/Audi.

I had two Audi A4's in the past - A4 Avant 1.9TDi(130) SE and a A4 1.8T(163) Sport saloon. I agree that the quality of the interior was way above the Honda but the Audis had far more faults than my Honda in less than half of the time and mileage. Not convinced that the one-year old Audi A3 is worth over 5K (probably more like £6K) more the Honda. I'm well past bothering about image.

If you view cars as "white goods", ie like a fridge, as long as it keeps the food cold and doesn't break down then it's fulfilled its brief, then yes, definitely not worth spending the extra on the Audi.

Likewise a Tag Heuer Carrera at £1,500 does nothing better or more reliably than a Casio for £50.

Personally I'd prefer the Carrera, but that either makes me someone who appreciates quality and style, or a fashion victim.

How about a Nissan? They're cheaper still than Hondas and probably just as reliable.

I expected some-one to suggest 4-wheel drive as an advantage of the A3.

Nissan? Don't like the Almera and the Primera (had 3 of those) is too big - hence looking at A3, Seat Cupra/FR and Civic Type-S. Need 5-door with reasonable performance - 0-60 in 8.5 or less would be about right.

Sorry I seemed to have attempted to hijack this thread. I would be grateful if my posts could be moved.

I'm definitely interested in any opinions as to why I should pay the extra for a one-year old A3 (5-door) over a Civic Type-S or a Leon FR.

My budget is £12K but I would go to £15K for the right car. I don't buy new but one-year old - miss the worst of the depreciation and still have two years full warranty.