Fog Lights - Very Very Scarry!

Cleybrooke

Fog lights on empty country roads at night - in the fog - are very usefull. Otherwise agree with Matelex.

Red - Read the first post on the subject. This is exactly the situation. Where in the manual does it suggest that you need to do this? As such it is a ""desighn fault""

Aplogies for my dislexi - I did not relise it was pre reqiset for the massage bord to have spill correctly with out being patronised.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough but I think the problem is that the lighting actions don't meet your expectations rather than they are at fault. I think you'll very quickly become familiar with how it all works. Btw the switch displays when front fogs are on and I think it's very good that only that bright rear fog indicator is in your face on the main clock because that's the one you need to switch off as soon as conditions allow and it serves as an excellent reminder.

The worse someone's spelling and lack of punctuation then the more difficult it is to read and understand and possibly help someone. There are plenty worse than yourself and I'm only expressing my opinion about it.

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

....I would like to be sure I understand more precisely what you are saying: I assume that you are complaining that when you are driving in the dark in auto lighting mode, you are momentarily (split seconds only) "plunged into darkness" while you switch to fogs??

If so, the "design fault" is surely down to you not manually switching to normal lights-on as soon as it's got dark. Have I misunderstood you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should you have to manually switch to normal lights-on once it's got dark? Excuse the expression, but that sounds a bit Irish to me. I thought the whole point of auto lights was to negate the need to manually switch lights on or off.

I haven't got my GTI yet, so I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding something here.

If "Automatic Headlight Control" (AHC) is switched on, the dipped headlights will not be switched on in fog. You will have to switch on the dipped headlights using the light switch. The driver is personally responsible for the correct use of lights in all situations. AHC is merely a system to support the driver. In certain situations you will have to switch on the dipped headlights manually using the light switch.

The above is quoted from the GTI Handbook but it seems that friend James not only has difficulty spelling but also reading grin.gif It's also related to the UK legislation about the use of fog lights.

Furthermore the Handbook also says: "If AHC is switched on, you cannot switch on the fog lights or rear fog light in addition."

This is obviously a conscious design decision. I can appreciate James' concern but he has different expectations.

I hope this helps.

All very strange. If I switch from the auto position through the sidelights position to the manual headlights position, in a continuous movement, there is no point at which the lights go off. If I repeat this move rather more slowly, pausing at the sidelights, then the headlights switch to sidelights as you might expect. Moving the switch on to the headlights position, the headlights switch on. It's almost as if a continuous movement of the switch ensures that there's no point at which the lights go off completely. This is on a 2005 model.

Well the GTI handbook sounds like a load of bolloxs to me. znaika.gif

I thought the whole point of auto-headlights was you didn't need to remember to turn them on/off all the time! smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

This is obviously a conscious design decision. I can appreciate James' concern but he has different expectations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Or they figured it out too late to change the actual car.

Making bugs out to be "characteristics" or "features" is also common in computer software/games. we do it all the time.

e.g. "No sir, that's not a bug, it's supposed to be like that..." ices_blah.gifgrin.gif

I don't see the big deal about this. Once you've used the lights a few times and also read the handbook you surely know what to expect and what to actions to take.

Making bugs out to be "characteristics" or "features" certainly isn't what software developers do in the circles I move in (Adobe in particular)....To do so is very unprofessional behaviour imo.

TBH I think the auto light feature is a pile of dung.gif

It was a nice bright cloudless day up here today, I switched the light switch to auto and guess what the lights came on confused.gif

WTF is that all about ? TBH I think the feature should be Flush.gif by VW as it clearly doesn't work properly (as has been documented many times before on TSN and other VW forums)

Whats wrong with using the switch manually ? Too much of a strain for some people ? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It was a nice bright cloudless day up here today, I switched the light switch to auto and guess what the lights came on confused.gif

Whats wrong with using the switch manually ? Too much of a strain for some people ? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some kind of contradiction going on there... grin.gif

....But I don't think the auto-lights, even when triggered by fog's low lighting levels, will trigger the car's fog lights. But again the AHC is merely a support system and surely it's best for the driver to make these decisions. The AHC is only helpful in circumstances like going through tunnels and when the ambient light levels are low due to weather/dawn/dusk and we aren't sure ourselves. Isn't it better not to have too much wet-nursing in a car?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some kind of contradiction going on there... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was carrying out an experiment after reading a few posts about the subject znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't it better not to have too much wet-nursing in a car?

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree Red 169144-ok.gif

The GTI really is getting like an american car, it bongs all the time if you're not buckled up or if you have something heavy on the passenger seat.

I mean does VW think all its customers are stupid ?

On second thoughts don't answer that as they already must do with some of the prices that they charge at the dealers grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Mine have come on twice this week on a bright sunny morning. Surely that cant be right?

[/ QUOTE ]

But the GTI reference manual clearly states... znaika.gif

(Chapter 7, Page 143, Para. II)

"When driving in daylight conditions with the lights in the auto position, the lights may occasionally turn on. This is an advanced feature of the GTI, and you should NOT send your vehicle back to the dealership for inspection and repair. The advanced light sensors built into your GTI may sometimes detect darkness which is too light for the human eye to see. The darkness however, is there.. or at least would be, if the lights had not switched themselves on."

QED. coffee.gif

I did find it a bit surprising the first time I moved from auto -> dipped to put on fog lights that it does take a sec or so for the lights to come on. But, I don't see it as an issue, after all you shouldn't be messing with lights/fogs when going round a bend/changing gear etc and its only a second or so. I quite like the fact that you cannot operate the fogs unless the lights are at dipped, means less people leave the fecking things on when they are not needed (esp rear fogs)

"When driving in daylight conditions with the lights in the auto position, the lights may occasionally turn on. This is an advanced feature of the GTI, and you should NOT send your vehicle back to the dealership for inspection and repair. The advanced light sensors built into your GTI may sometimes detect darkness which is too light for the human eye to see. The darkness however, is there.. or at least would be, if the lights had not switched themselves on."[/i]

QED. coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL ROFLMAO

Thats classic grin.gif