[Audi A3/S3] Oh dear...Happy Bl**dy christmas

Chelsea Mick

Just watched my baby being taken away to the local stealers frown.gif

639236-breakdown.jpg

Was driving home yesterday, in my usual spirited driving style, coming off a roundabout, she just lost a load of power and started coughing.

Putting my foot on the go pedal didn't have much affect on trying to move her forward. Managed to limp home and called the dealer. They wouldn't recover her. Phoned the AA and the guy was here within 40 minutes. Took one listen to her internals and said "that's the head gasket mate"...

Bugger bugger bugger frown.gif

She has just gone and I'm on the phone to my bank manager on my hands and knees....

Happy Christmas everyone the_finger.gif

post-354-137914337673_thumb.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! EEK2.GIF Sorry to hear your bad news mate. I had my head gasket go too! Approx. 24 hrs labour for the whole @ £92.50 per hour means I didn't go to a dealer. All in with new belts, head skim and the whole shabang was £994 inc VAT. I reckon you can at least double that price at a dealer! Unless of course you are still under warranty??

I feel for you mate, I really do. Especially this close to christmas.

Hope it goes well for you 169144-ok.gif

On a lighter note, what's the badge on the right hand side of your boot?

Thanks for all your well wishes guys.

Audi dealer just phoned and said "We've just taken your car off the transporter. I see your car is due an annual service". yelrotflmao.gif

I replied if you wanna try and service it you can do but I think you'll find that it needs a bit more than that.

Tom. It's a Sony DSC-P200 Digi camera. 7.2 mp. Was taken from about 35ft away (The AA man pulled in down the road). Massively reduced and cropped in size to be forum board friendly.

I'm hoping that it is something less than head gasket. The car is over 6 years old now (July '99) so no warranty there.

I might re-consider Audi undertaking the work when they pick me off the floor after quoting me later this afternoon.

The service lady said £92 p/h. I just might need to find a local reliable mechanic that is prepared to do it for me.

I am of the thought though that if Audi do repair it at least there is always a come back if it isn't done correctly. They use all original Audi service parts and you know they will get it right. Even though they charge ridiculous amounts for labour smashfreakB.gif

Chelsea Mick.

Yeah, I used a mechanic who came highly recommended to me and I was paying about £25 p/h for that job. He has all the Audi diog stuff and is spot on. I said to him do "everything" while he had the engine in a state of undress so it wasn't too bad at all.

I just hate to think what it'd cost at a stealer! Because it is an approx 24 man hour job.

Have you heard back yet to confim it is definitely the head gasket?

Doogal

Not heard back yet. I think they're just making me wait the feckers.

I'm keeping everything crossed that it might be just a coil pack.

When the engine was running, there was a very loud knocking noise coming from the top half of the engine and the whole engine was moving a hell of a lot on the engine mountings even on tick over.

Surely if it was just a coil pack, the man from the AA would've been more enthuiastic about getting it fixed. He just listened to the engine and was on his toes within 5 minutes of being at my house.

Mick....Like you need to be waiting to hear something like that, much better to know asap so you can plan how you are going to sell an organ to pay for the thing.

I'm not technical so your description however good it is isn't giving me any ideas. But it doesn't sound ideal. Still, nothing you can do before you hear back. I'd be interested in what they quote you if it is the head gasket.

If it's coil packs you are positively laughing in comparison.

well was it a metalicy sound ? if it was then its the gasket - or worse - But id put money on it being a coilpack - from audi these will be about £30 each - i would not get them to do it for you they are even cheaper from vagparts and about 5 min job to do yourself ! i use a local mechanic for my a3 and a full serivce costs me £130 and my cambelt was £300 with waterpump smile.gif if you can be arsed with the trip up to aylesbury i can pass on his number 169144-ok.gif

Molly. Don't really think the AA man was that interested. Once he'd heard it running he went straight to his laptop to see if my car could be towed (It wasn't listed on there by the way).

I have had another phone call from Mark at Audi. He just wanted some background information as to the cause of the problem. He says they will get in on the diagnostic computer when they've cleared thier workload.

Tom.

The dar didn't really make any sound as it lost power. But when I pulled over and let it idle (it idles just about) with the bonnet up, there is a metallic sound/knocking type of noise coming from the top of the engine. My mate who was following me on his Fireblade said he heard a pop and then it smelt like unburnt petrol. He thought it was his bike. Now when I start it up there is an really strong smell of petrol that emits from the exhaust.

If it does turn out to be one of the coilpacks tehn I will get them to replace it (Yes Molly just the one tongue.gif) as it's due it's annual service right now anyway.