[ QUOTE ]

Did they not get back to you today?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with any idea with the fault NO! NONO3.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe get new internals and a big turbo while doing the head

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your thinking Si...The thought did cross my mind znaika.gif

If it's going to cost loads like new piston(s) or such like I might well be tempted sekret.gif

Chin up Mick!

I had a similar type of incident to you though mine was just about driveable. I was thinking the worst but it turned out that I'd split one of the intake air hoses and needed a new MAF.

Several hundred quid later and comparatively the old S3 is going like a rocket ship, they way its meant to. ECLIPSe.gif

Oh well...

My worst fears have just been confirmed frown.gif

The receptionist phoned me and was bloody clueless as to what the mechanic had told her.

I asked to speak to the mechanic.

He was very helpful.

Number 3 cylinder has no compression and number 4 had hardly any. He found that it was the number 3 sparkplug that had broken part of it's electrode and the part was quite sizeable and had gone missing. He is under the impression that it could be a bent valve and would be very surprised if it has done any damage to the bore or piston(s). He did say if it has scored or damaged a piston it would need a replacement engine blush.giffrown.gif

They want 3.5 hours (x £92 p/h) for removing the cylinder head for investigative work. Then they want the same amount to replace the head after all the other work needed has been done. So minimum £644 plus the annual service plus any parts needed.

Anyone want to buy any Christmas pressies that are wrapped up under our Tree? suicide.gif

They are phoning back later this afternoon/evening to give me a full run down......

Watch this space

[ QUOTE ]

Or a 1.6? coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.gif

Thanks for your valuable input Mollox the_finger.gif

[ QUOTE ]

So is that just a random spark plug failure with catastrophic consequences??

[/ QUOTE ]

It apears that way yeah. It is overdue on it's annual service but only by 5 weeks. Would 5 weeks make that much difference to the life of the spark plugs? znaika.gif

I was driving it quite "spirited" but no more so than usual. Maybe as I only use it once every week or so it wasn't prepared for that type of drive confused.gif

It wasn't on a cold engine, no redlining, no missing gears, just normal...

As they say dung.gif happens....