Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chelsea Mick

Oh dear...Happy Bl**dy christmas

118 posts in this topic

Cheers Doogal

I could do with a bit of luck right now.

I can't even get hold of the guy that is selling the engine. Appears that he doesn't want to sell it. Well he never answers his phone anyway fekr.gif

Mick, I can't help but think a 5k bill is fcuking ridiculous mate. All from a spark plug?

They say this sort of thing is bad luck, which it probably is to a certain extent but it does slightly p!ss me off to hear some people go on about how "bullet proof" a certain engine is. My waterpump failure lead to a 1k bill and your spark plug failure lead to a 5k bill. Doesn't seem very bullet proof to me!! Surely an engine is only as strong as it's weakest component.

Hope you manage to find a cheaper solution, after all it is Christmas and hopefully someone will have a bit of crimbo cheer for you! 169144-ok.gif

keeping 'em crossed for ya mate!

only just seen the update of this ! its JUST what happened to my dads A8 the top of the spark plug fell in the engine - if you do a search though the A8 forum AMD told me the same thing - BUT when a new plug was put in it all seemed to be ok ! cant you try the same thing ?

doh just read the update , did not see this has been checked - sorry for you - id chuck a new engine in only if your keeping the car - or get a 2nd hand one then sell the car and hope they dont notice!

I have a chance of a engine with roughly 36k miles on the clock(Minus gearbox and ECU)for £1150. I have been trying to get hold of the guy for 4 days now to no avail.

It is going to cost me £850 to have the engine fitted by a reputable company. So overall a saving of around £3,500 on the quoted Audi price. Now that I can live with even though it appears to be from a failed spark plug.

who fitted the plug ? there has to be some come back on that ? was it audi ?

It was Audi yeah but this was just a routine service item.

Wouldn't have thought there was any comeback there at all.

I'm just putting it down to experience really.

I have just spoken to the guy selling the engine and it's all go. He's going to deliver it Wednesday week when I'm actually in the UK.

So things are looking up. Just got to pay Audi for the investigative work and get my car recovered from them to who will be fitting the engine. 169144-ok.gif

There was some crimbo spirit after all! Nice one mate, hopefully makes it all a bit easier to swallow. 169144-ok.gif

well im sorry but if audi fitted the part and it failed ??? they have to have some comeback !

Chelsea Mick, I read a thread on here about a year ago, it was about a guy and his Boxster with very similar trouble and almost exactly the same options (new engine from porsche @ £7k or 2nd hand one minus fitting for about £3k ). Naturally he bought the 2nd hand one, but was stung when it turned up. Apparently it was useless as it was missing so many bits. Not sure why, but he ended up going back to porshe in the end and being 12k out of pocket overall EEK2.GIF

I'd just make sure that whoever you're buying the engine off, delivers a useable replacement, not just some useless lump of metal with a dictionary definition of an engine!

Also, how can they verify the mileage, it could have done 130,000m!!!

good luck geeza! Remember, us Essex boys always land on our feet 169144-ok.gif

Even though they fitted it over a year ago?

The car has only ever been serviced by Audi

Hi, new here (this is my first post), but reading this made me think that Audi may have to accept some blame. OK I'm not a lawyer, but I would fight for some kind of compensation.

I would contact CAB and ask about the sales of goods act. This item failed and is therfore "not fit for the purpose it was sold" as long as you used it for it's intended purpose. If you are a member of the RAC/AA then they can also help you with advice.

This is the interesting part from the DTI guidlines

--Quote---

Buyers are entitled to goods of satisfactory quality, taking account of any description, the price and other relevant circumstances. If an item has a fault that is present at the time of sale (which may be a “latent” or “inherent” fault), the consumer can complain once it is discovered.

If a product that was faulty at the time of sale is returned to the retailer, the buyer is legally entitled to:

• a full refund, if this is within a reasonable time of the sale (“reasonable time” is not defined in law but is often quite short); or

• a reasonable amount of compensation (or “damages”) for up to six years from the date of sale (five years after discovery of the problem in Scotland).

--End Quote--

The full text is here:-

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/sogconsumerguide.pdf

As I say speak to CAB/AA/RAC to see what they state as they probably have some past history of these things, but I think Audi should help in some way even if it's waving the costs of the investigations.

And if they really annoy you then speak to the BBC, Watchdog may well enjoy this kind of thing, and the Audi garage may well cave in if you mention it "in passing".

Or am I too evil?

Thanks LeMan....

I have spoke to the guy and he assures me all that is missing is the gearbox and ECU and loom. All other bits are there. A customer of his actually brought it into his workshop to fit into a Golf project car for Max Power ( suicide.gif), but they then scourced a full engine box ECU loom etc so worked out cheaper in the long run. He has said I will get a receipt for it as I was concerned of it's origin and the mileage. How can he supply proof of the mileage he claims it has done?

If it is a non starter, he will get it delivered back to him by a couple of hefty chaps that I know, that will not need a engine hoist to carry it into his workshop sekret.gifsportifs2.gif

Welcome to TSN PaulD 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for your comments

I'll have a read through a bit later on coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

he will get it delivered back to him by a couple of hefty chaps that I know, that will not need a engine hoist to carry it into his workshop sekret.gifsportifs2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Hi Mick, i got your message and was ringing him all day today, but im glad you managed to get hold of him.

At least hes trying to prove to you where he aquired the engine from and will provide reciepts etc.

May be it might be worth getting the engine number and checking with your Audi dealer to check if they can track its history,

Also get in touch with your local 5-0 and check that they dont have any S3 engines on their book that have been stolen. Its best to cover yourself as best as you can.

Thanks for trying Mo... 169144-ok.gif

A well known tuning company tells me that there is no visable engine number on the S3's. Evidently it's on an internal part of the engine and cannot be seen from the outside confused.gif

But when I get back to the UK I will phone the locals and check as you have suggested....

I hear that they engine number is visible on the block. on the right hand side when viewed from the front.

Can anyone confirm?

Just an update.....

I took delivery of the engine today.

The guys at www.strictlydubs.com were very helpful and transported the engine over to me at Audi.

(Thanks again Mo for the contact 169144-ok.gif)

Must say my car looked all lost and falorn sitting there frown.gif

This is the first time I've seen it since Audi done thier investigations. Two exhaust valves had bits missing from them and number 3 piston had a chunk missing from the top.

(Wish I had taken the bloody camera with me smashfreakB.gif)

Car all loaded up with engine in the boot waiting for transportation to QST who are going to do the work.

G'luck! Fingers crossed for you. 169144-ok.gif

Thought the 1.8T lump requires respective ecu, loom and immobiliser keys to run? Obviously you have ruled this out.

Ian

Hmmm..

You might have a point. I don't really know.

Kim Collins knows all the details and he reckons he can do it ok so I'll just let him get on with it 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.. You might have a point. I don't really know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seem to remember Tobes saying about the loom, dash and ecu being required. Let's hope not.... UHOH7.GIF

Ian

unless its just a transplant of the mechanical bits, making the best of both as it were.