Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aleister

Heater control panel smashed during break-in

4 posts in this topic

My 93 Passat 1800i has been broken into. The thief in question entered my vehicle by wrenching the door handle off - leaving a battered hole (this was repaired for £40). However, whilst in the vehicle, it seems this amateur thief had to smash and retract the heater unit panel in order to force the stereo out (this incensed me).

Anyway, having smashed the panel the fan now only works when turned up to the third notch?, the heater does not respond? and the blower notch will not turn to the full facial blow setting?. Having investigated the workings behind this panel it seems as if all the wiring is in place and there does not appear to be obvious technical damage.

If someone pulled this panel out, would the connections to heater unit be damaged at the heater unit end?? - how do I retract the heater unit for inspection without having to remove dash?

Are there any experts out there that could help?? - I can live without facial blow and fan, but heat is essential.

Also the fog light button does not work (i think its fog light - it has two settings? - above and left of heater unit panel) - does this have its own fuse??

Any help would be warmly accepted, given that my last post received a unique 0 replies!!!

A few wuid could be well invested in a workshop manul, telling you how to gain access to the rear of the panel. It sounds like they could have disturbed some plug on the back of the panel, or damaged some soldered joints.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd price up a replacement panel through martin or paul a t www.vagparts.com . Sorry I can't help anymore.

You could try some of the car audio sites, where they regularly take their dash to bits!

Good luck mate, and sorry to hear some lowlife has damaged your car!

Cheers Dansky - beerchug.gif - I have invested in the exciting haynes manual (sarc)....

Your comments refering to a wiring issue give me hope, its just the labour costs in a garage that worry me. For them to charge a fortune to take the dash off and solder a point would be extremely annoying.

Hopefully I wont have any more break-ins, I purchased a red LED with battery and turn it on when out of the vehicle. This is a very cheap alternative to a car alarm, in the words of the Blackadder character Baldrick "a cunning plan me lord" znaika.gif.....

You need the patented anti theft device I designed.

Buy a cheap microwave oven, rip out the magnetron. (Argos have one for £59 here). Power it from a 12v - 240v (Maplin £20) adaptor connected to the ignition. Hide the gubbins under the steering column. Remember to switch off when you or your friends drive the car else it's barbecued meat balls for dinner!

spaghetti%20with%20sicilian%20meatballs.jpg