What was your first car?

sophiem

For those of you that can remember that far back!

Mine was a mk1 Golf 1.3 cl, I was seventeen and had saved all of my hard earned cash just to buy her - I hadn't had one lesson beforehand so started learning once I had bought her. I have really fond memories of that little car and just wondered how the rest of you felt about your first cars. Did you scrimp and save to buy your first pride and joy? Was it your pride and joy? Did mummy and Daddy buy your first car for you? Any fond memories or funny stories to tell? Please share smile.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first car was a Fiat 128 when i was 11, used to drive around the private roads at my families quarry.

My first road car was a MK1 Astra GTE that i got when i was 17, lasted about 8 months until i rolled it 3 times. It was pretty dead after that frown.gif no glass, not one straight panel and the chassis was 4" out corner to corner.

Jon.

Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme 2.0 GTi (1333)

photo13.jpg

It was indeed my pride and joy, mind you all my cars were.....i washed and cleaned them like new.... even the exhausts sekret.gif

I had to be insured and a 2nd driver though and my dad had to get the loan for me.... due to my age frown.gif

It was a wonderful first car.....

Riz pengy.gif

Metallic green M Plate 1.1 Rover Metro RIO! M638 OPY or "MOPY"

Proper little character. Easy car to own and was surprisingly nippy. Ran it for 3 months with no air in the front suspension (dampers?) so it looked like a Hotrod!

The rear wheel arches rusted to death and had to stick gaffer tape on them for it to pass the MOT.

When I was 19 my Mum asked me what I thought of Allegro's, as an old boy up the street had just sold his '79 1.3GL for £200. So I told her how rubbish it was, and that I felt sorry for whoever the poor chump was who'd be driving it. Guess who'd bought it?

TBH it was a hoot, it had only done 35k miles and was almost rust free, it lasted 18 months in which time I did something like 20k miles (commuted between Hudds uni and home in Northampton, and visited every corner of the country in it) before expiring noisily the day before my 21st in a mates petrol station. It handled like a hippo on roller skates but I once saw 100 on the M1 near Sheffield and it was sorely missed... Especially when it was replaced by a 1.6 Maestro...

A Mini, when I was 16, couldn't drive so so Bruv drove me around in it, until he put it into an Armco barrier!

That was in 1988! My 1st car I could legally drive on the road was a........ Mini as well! Had quite a few of them in the early years as I was a student and cars costs too much for poor students back then!

smile.gif

Mini 1275 GT in mustard yellow.

644712-mini.jpg

Bought aged 18, in 1978 and wrote it off inside an hour!

Reason being that I had be sold a pig, doing 80mph with 5 in the car, it lost a front wheel, rolled over, hit a car comming the other way (police mentioned 120mph impact)and broke in two.

Police done me for due care and attention and somehow we all got out before the car ignited and burnt out.

Total injury count, broken wrist (front passenger) and some glass cuts (all x 5 of us)

A very lucky day, police said we'd all be dead. The next day, I saw the car and puked up for about an hour thinking about what could of been.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oy! Cheeky! grin.gif

I had some ropey old company cars at a place I worked, but when I left there to be self-employed, I had to buy something that would stand up to lots of miles travelling the length and breadth of the country, so my first car was a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.7 TD, in LS trim; an 8-month old ex-rental. I loved it because it was better than any car I'd had from the company I'd worked for, and it was a symbol of breaking free from being employed, and enjoying the freedom of consulting.

Ahh, Happy Days... <goes all misty eyed>

Hmmm, all those cars mentioned above didn't even exist when I bought my first car!

I didn't have enough cash to afford to buy and run a car until I was 21. I bought a 1969 Mk2 Cortina 1600GT, at auction, in 1975. It was my pride and joy for several years. It cost me £415, and I sold it in 1980 for £525. The reason for selling was that I'd bought my second car - a 1974 Reliant Scimitar GTE.

Was an F reg 1.4 LX Fiesta in a cream colour for me.

I loved it to bits. It had Ford RS X spoke alloys fitted by the first owner, it wasn't low and even had a sun roof and electric windows. The colour wasn't the best but it did me fine until my next car post uni was a company car. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oy! Cheeky! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, wouldn't want you oldies struggling to to remember - that comment was to reasure those of you who can't remember not to worry!!! grin.gif

So am I right in assuming most of you bought your first bangers yourselves? I think I was one of the only ones in my area that didn't get the parents to buy me mine.

My first car was a black, A reg, Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus. It cost my mum and dad £600 to buy it for me when I was 17 and had just passed my test. I really wasn't into cars and driving then.....they made me take lessons then bought me a car because "it would be useful!" Might tell them a Honda S2000 would be 'useful' for my birthday in a few months and see what happens!! (A clip round the ear probably!) ECLIPSe.gif