34 Golf GTI's at motorpoint selling very slowly?

winrya

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

In your experience, what do you (or anyone else) think is the optimum time to sell a nearly 'new' car. Best before/after 1 year? 18 months? Wait til 2 years old?

[/ QUOTE ]

jump.gifbeerchug.gifbeerchug.gif

I KNEW IT YOU... fekr.gif!!!!!!!

Geeza, i've sold many nearly new cars in the last three years and you do lose out. But if there's "something you want wink.gif" feckin buy it, as we know ALL TOO WELL you only live once. GTI won't be such a bad car to get rid of, not as bad as my 3 series coupe that cost me 27k and went 4 months later for 22k EEK2.GIF, but do you know what, i don't regret it one bit! The monthly payments are only a bummer if you don't like what you're paying for IMO!

It's all relative anyway. If you keep the GTI, the gap between that and "whatever you want wink.gif" will only ever increase. beerchug.gifsmlove2.gif

Man, you know what, you're just like me grin.gifyelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

In your experience, what do you (or anyone else) think is the optimum time to sell a nearly 'new' car. Best before/after 1 year? 18 months? Wait til 2 years old?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honest advice don't you loose too much.

But if its a model thats really sort after well you can often run it 6-12 months and get your money back while the hypes still high.

My GTI cost me approx £25K and Glass Book only suggest £18K on 7,000 miles. I naturally ignore my modding costs (done purely for my enjoyment). I haven't even seen a live Mk5 R32 yet and won't drive one until next Wednesday, so it's still a big "IF".

Assuming I love it, my gut feeling tells me to wait until mid 2006 before ordering so that I will have continued enjoying my GTI for a year and also to give the new R32 builds time to settle. I dunno....I prefer the GTI styling and wheels.

I don't know if I'm just like you cos I normally keep cars for a while (well, I let 'fate' take a hand).

[ QUOTE ]

TBH, if they give you book money, that isn't bad.

I have always struggled to get book money for nearly new cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you meen book as in trade in price i have never had problems soring deals and often get over this to near private price. It also depends what garage you goto and of more of a concern is what BOOK they use. The price difference between the many books out there now can be vast for some models. Also if its a different make what they think they can get at auction or what another dealer has offered them for it.

[ QUOTE ]

right, finally got round to calling motorprovider. The cars are imports from Germany with 2yr warranty and uk spec. They have loads in stock with stock arriving weekly. The car i wanted in metallic ******(just in case someone else buys the one i want) with 18's and centre armrest is £18,595 OTR with me as 1st registered owner for march 1st on an 06 plate.

When talking about part ex he said "we aren't afraid to tell a customer what a car is worth", oh dear they dont give much then.

Well im on holiday from fri so will no doubt spend next week looking around for one, seems like a good deal though, what do u think?

Cheers

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the update 169144-ok.gif

As VW have upped the price by £340 we are now looking at these imports very heavily too.

Mind we only want a standard 5 door so don't worry we will not get the one you want. lol grin.gifwink.gif

I've told him he cannot have blue as i have a shadow blue one and he refuses to have red (He was in the fire service until he retired so does not want red at any cost as he spent many years in a big red truck lol) (whites sort of ruled out for the same reason) Does not like Black or metallic back as his last Audi was metallic black and was a pain to keep clean and stone chips showed like mad. Problably end up with a silver one at this rate lol.

[ QUOTE ]

My GTI cost me approx £25K and Glass Book only suggest £18K on 7,000 miles. I naturally ignore my modding costs (done purely for my enjoyment). I haven't even seen a live Mk5 R32 yet and won't drive one until next Wednesday, so it's still a big "IF".

Assuming I love it, my gut feeling tells me to wait until mid 2006 before ordering so that I will have continued enjoying my GTI for a year and also to give the new R32 builds time to settle. I dunno....I prefer the GTI styling and wheels.

I don't know if I'm just like you cos I normally keep cars for a while (well, I let 'fate' take a hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

No harm in asking what they would give you for it. If they have someone interested in it you prob will get a good

price. No harm in asking you never know.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Geoff. I'll just explore by asking questions. I so love my GTI though and all it stands for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also bear in mind that the new S3 could harm R32 residuals, not by much.

But worth considering. Also the golf will be due a facelift in F/Q 07. Only cosmetic tweaks, but could make the world of difference on the (love it/hate it) looks of the R32's front. Especially if VW see sense and loose that grey beard.

[ QUOTE ]

right, finally got round to calling motorprovider. The cars are imports from Germany with 2yr warranty and uk spec. They have loads in stock with stock arriving weekly. The car i wanted in metallic ******(just in case someone else buys the one i want) with 18's and centre armrest is £18,595 OTR with me as 1st registered owner for march 1st on an 06 plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you checked the situation with the warranty on the car you're interested in, because if you're not taking delivery until 1st March & it's physically in stock now you'll loose 3 months warranty?

I think you'll find the warranty runs from the date of the PDI/export, not the UK registration.

I did not get a bottle opener with my GTI!!! Keep your eye out if you buy, also my headlights were always on- when driving. I made a call to Motorprovider , they told me to take it along to VW. Which I did, I felt very uneasy walking in with the keys to a New GTI, the week before I had a test drive in their demo, the sales guy was sure I was going to place an order with him " every dose after a test drive" But getting back to the point they fixed the lights with a TV remote control type thing no charge and all smiles.

Motorprovider is worth the saving, especially if the GTI is not holding residuals as well now the R32 is out.

I like the R32 it grows on me more & more but I love my GTI.

I know it’s a little slower, it might not handle as well, however there is a few big BUTs

But …..I love My GTI

But…… nothing seems faster on the motorway, ( I did 145mph on Christmas day, the car was in S mode at 120mph still in 5th gear!! Now that’s plenty fast enough.

But… I will never need to be faster off the line in acceleration, it’s feels soo quick.

I read that the R32 is immensely quick but dose not feel quick.

But… I have fun driving

But my car only cost my £19400

But I might be tempted by the R32 in a few years, I still like the Mk4

Cheers

bulls_eye, you are beginning to sound like me!! Is it something in the water in the West Country?

My dream car was the Mk4 R32 until the Mk5 GTI came out and I still love my GTI....But the Mk5 R32 with extra grip and that V6 sound and Recaros is giving me the wink! HELP !!!! Cars are like ladies! Go away! Leave me in peace!

[ QUOTE ]

But…… nothing seems faster on the motorway, ( I did 145mph on Christmas day, the car was in S mode at 120mph still in 5th gear!! Now that’s plenty fast enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy tiger EEK2.GIF "I hope Smittens on holiday! UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

I read that the R32 is immensely quick but dose not feel quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what my A3 3.2 felt like. Both are quick cars with only a fraction of a second between them.

[ QUOTE ]

But… I have fun driving

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's what it's all about 169144-ok.gif. Watching the fuel gauge drop everytime i floor it was a tad deppressing in the 3.2, but the V6 sound almost made up for it.

That said, the 4 pot turbo is a great great engine too 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

@bulls_eye, were your lights on all the time you were driving 'normally' or just on that particular blast on Christmas day? Note that your headlights come on automatically if you have a sustained speed of 90mph or more for any length of time....

[/ QUOTE ]

....I've heard this before but, unless perhaps you are in automatic lighting mode, this simply isn't so. My SatNav automatically changes its screen illumination type directly according to any of the car's exterior lights being on. No lights on at 90 in my case.

Yes, mu, but my aftermarket Pioneer has been cleverly wired to automatically change its illumination according to the car's lights. So, if my exterior lights (any of them) come on either by me switching them or automatically, then my SatNav screen displays the fact that they are on, however that action is caused. I've tested it.