Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ashleywater

R32 TOP GEAR TEST!!!!!!!! SOLVES THE QUESTION!!

106 posts in this topic

Would be interested in your views on the R32 being 4 seconds quicker than the gti!

Which having owned 2 MK4 R32 and a MK5 gti manual backs up what I have always thought, the gti might 'feel' as quick as an R32, but in reality it is'nt!!

The clock does'nt lie!!!

I don't understand why people get so worried about these things. I mean how often do you really take a car like this round a track or max it out on public roads?

Also what's to say that the laps were done by the same driver under the same conditions.

could'nt agree more with your comments Andy, but the bottom line is that the general perception, which includes the motoring press at large, is that the R32 is not worth the extra 4K over a gti,and the gti is just as quick, which factually is not true.

Having owned both cars,I am not worried about these things, just dont agree with these observations.

Agree that the lap times on topgear should be taken with a pinch of salt due to conditions, driver etc. But having had 3 test drives in the new R32 (one unaccompanied) my conclusion is that it is noticeably quicker than the GTI but I think the main reason for this is the better traction as you would expect.

I recently followed another TSN member to a meet, I was in the GTI and he was in a MK4 R32 and he was pulling away from me on dual carriageways, there was not a huge difference but he was definitely getting away slowly.

Well I guess that all the comments logged on the: Car magazine R32 v gti thread, illustrates my point perfectly!

[ QUOTE ]

Well I guess that all the comments logged on the: Car magazine R32 v gti thread, illustrates my point perfectly!

[/ QUOTE ]

got a link for that?

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why people get so worried about these things. I mean how often do you really take a car like this round a track or max it out on public roads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with that. I didnt order an R32 because it is quicker than the GTI, if I did then I would have ordered the wrong car because it is not significantly quicker. I ordered it because I prefer it over the GTI, no other reason.

"R32 TOP GEAR TEST!!!!!!!! SOLVES THE QUESTION!!"

What question confused.gif

I'm pretty sure the R32 was pitched against the 130i wink.gif on Top Gear

If you would like a MK5 R32 please go and buy one, I'm sure its a great car cool.gif

If you would like a MK5 GTI please go and buy one, I know its a great car cool.gif

The R32 and the GTI are 2 completely different beasts aimed at different types of driving styles / potential owners.

Its a bit like comparing black and white really 169144-ok.gif

the main difference is the turbo. when it kicks in, i gives the impression of being massively fast when it jus makes it go a bit faster. my clio seems quick until i drive the a4 which is travelling a lot faster but seems to be slower. the throttle response would be a lot quicker in the r32 as well.

I don't know where to get vid but this TG edition is being repeated on Sunday, New Year's Day BBC2 7.00pm. I missed it too and so I'll be watching the repeat.

No. 1 it was a different Stig (old Stig)

No. 2 it was a manual gti and a DSG R32

No. 3 The 130i was neck and neck with the GTI on the drag, but 3 seconds slower round the track.

Not saying this justifoes anything, the R32 IMO is a faster car, but only by a fraction. Whether you think that is worth 4k is subjective!, but AWD and a V6 are feckin ace! I think the GTI is an outstanding car, but ironically the only two things i can fault it on are the only two things that the R32 has over it, traction and engine noise.

That said, i think the GTI looks like the better car, I haven't yet gelled with the R's looks.

For any GTI owner that is really worrying about an R32 leaving them behind - simply wait until the next petrol station, slow down, and wave at the R32 refueling just like you do when a Subaru Impreza passes you :-)

If however you are both stuck in the same traffic jam as I was yesterday just sit back and admire each others cars as ultimately we choose either the GTI or the R32 for personal reasons.

Come on, we need the banter. I remember endless funny arguments between the S3 and R32 owners about which was fastest, better etc etc... 169144-ok.gif

That R32 sounded awesome and highlights one of the weakness's of the GTI, no nice induction sound.

The MPG doesn't worry me, I bought a GTI after all, if I couldn't afford to run it I would have bought a Diesel.

I would seriously think about an R32 as my next car, if they had only given it better wheels and a bit more of an aggressive look but that sound and 4wd FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would seriously think about an R32 as my next car, if they had only given it better wheels and a bit more of an aggressive look but that sound and 4wd FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly what I'm thinking, though whether that is in 3 or 5 years time I really don't know. You can easily change the wheels and Milltek will be launching their new R32 exhaust system soon. I expect that Abt will probably offer some body mods in due course. Carbonfibre nose piece to cover the silver?

The 2 laps i have seen done by the GTI on topgear were not as clean as the one done in the new R32. On one of the programs the civic type R and the SEAT leon Cupra R posted better lap times.

Theres too many different variable to even compare them like this imo its so unscientific especially if its a different stig as the different times in the suzuki by F1 drivers just goes to show what differences there is in having a different driver with the same car.

The R32 is a good car and so is the GTI but to compare them like this is meaningless nonsense.

I think the only people that made an assumption that the GTI was as quick as an R32 are those people that have and prefer the GTI.

VW are not going to release a car that is marketed as their top of the range most powerful variant only for it to be no quicker than the model down. The book times show the R32 is quicker so not sure where the problem is.

Having said that....on the road the difference will be very slim and no-one in a R32 should think that in a drag race they are going to leave a GTI for dust.

Oh - and I much prefer the look of the GTI...R32 does nothing for me and if I was spending £27k (with options) on a car it wouldn't be a golf.

guys what was its laptime? went to have another look and it seems sky+ failed with its recording.

The GTI has been on the track twice

on 18's set a 1,33.7

on 17's set a 1,35.1

[ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly what I'm thinking, though whether that is in 3 or 5 years time I really don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll be paying closer attention to the forthcoming S3 wink.gifcool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly what I'm thinking, though whether that is in 3 or 5 years time I really don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll be paying closer attention to the forthcoming S3 wink.gifcool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me as well.

I've enjoyed my R32 emmensely and I do like a car that performs better than it looks, which the MKV R32 does by the shed load, but I think it'll be back to Audi for me in the future!

smile.gif

What was the GTI time on the track ? Imust have missed that one!

BUT does the R32 look GOOD or What!!

I'm not really a fan of Audi styling. They are excellent cars but just not my taste....Each to their own. Strangely enough I'm now remembering the first car I drove over 130 was an Audi.