Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v6tas

Load tapping when starting in the cold

11 posts in this topic

Morning all. Havent driven the 32 for about a week now due to the crap weather and all the drinking that has been going on. Just went out now to turn it over and that tapping noise is back. Before it was only there for a few seconds after starting the engine, today ive been sat in the car for at least 15 mins and it hasnt gone away. Ive had the lid open and the noise appears to be coming from the drivers side just under the G12 oil container. Anyone come across this before?

Cheers in advance as ever 169144-ok.gif

It not the charcoal canister is it Tspar, and have you taken it for a good drive as if it's been sitting still for a while, i usually get a few odd noises until i've been out in it for 20mins or so until nice and warm. 169144-ok.gif

HTH

[ QUOTE ]

It not the charcoal canister is it Tspar, and have you taken it for a good drive as if it's been sitting still for a while, i usually get a few odd noises until i've been out in it for 20mins or so until nice and warm. 169144-ok.gif

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that is where the noise seems to be coming from and no it hasnt been out for a drive yet. Will be taking it out for a spin to blow out the cobwebs later 169144-ok.gif

Dont forget after having sat still for a week all the oil will have drained down to the sump so the head will be very dry and will take a little time to fill back up once started up again.

cheers

matt

Been out for a thrash and apart from the gleaming paint work now being filthy !, the noise seems to have gone. I will mention it when it gets serviced but all seems ok now.

Thanks for your comments 169144-ok.gif

Charcol canister for emissions control system causes the ticking.

And G12 is coolant, not oil. smile.gif

Mattcony, the engine will only take a few seconds to build up full pressure and distribute the oil throughout the engine. If the head weren't getting enough oil for 15 minutes after start-up, we'd be looking at a whole different set of problems! (like valve breaking off and meeting a piston...)

[ QUOTE ]

Mattcony, the engine will only take a few seconds to build up full pressure and distribute the oil throughout the engine. If the head weren't getting enough oil for 15 minutes after start-up, we'd be looking at a whole different set of problems! (like valve breaking off and meeting a piston...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite correct my good man laugh.gif, I thought it said 15 seconds. Thats what you get for speed reading sekret.gif

cheers

matt

I rarely drive mine during the week these days, so it only goes out on the weekends.... and hence mine has begub to do the same loud tapping and top-end clicking. Doesn't help with the colder weather either!

All goes away shortly after start-up!

smile.gif

It is normal for the charcoal filter to "tick" however if it get's too bad you can have it replaced under warranty.

Mine has just been done £122 and it seems slightly different in design which may indicate there was a few problems with the old one !!!!

[ QUOTE ]

It is normal for the charcoal filter to "tick" however if it get's too bad you can have it replaced under warranty.

Mine has just been done £122 and it seems slightly different in design which may indicate there was a few problems with the old one !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What is too bad ? Mine ticks but don't know if its how its supposed to tick or if its 'too bad' !

Cost £122, did you not get it done under warranty then, or is that the cost but you didn't pay?

smile.gif

Brett it's "too bad" when my missus who knows Hee-Haw about cars except fill the water bottle lifts the bonnet and say's "whats that ticking noise " sorry mate can't describe it any better than that !!! .Work was done under warranty but would have been £122