Scotty

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

I have an ESP light on now and I know that if I take it to Audi its going to cost me between £400-1,400 to fix and, well, the last place I want to spend my money is on my car for absolutely no tangible gain other than getting it back to exactly as it should have been anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well disable it using the ignition trick then, extinguishing the light saying esp is disabled

(like it current will be on your car).

Ian

I would love to have another B5 RS4 again - its been said already on this site - supercars like this can be costly to maintain. Not heard of anything major going wrong electrical-wise but I'd be prepared for the risk of turbos going again or an earlier car gearbox rebuild (which are the only real problems). I've recently looked into getting an M5 but after looking into this more, these cars CAN be expensive to maintain.

Refering to the S3 wish list of 60/40 quattro split - isn't this a Torsen-only based alteration?

I may be swayed by a new S3 in Sportback variant but at the moment it won't be worth upgrading as my current car has porsche brakes on currently, and has a remap.

What ignition trick, Ian? I wasn't aware there was one...

Sita, not sure about whether Haldex can/will do the 60:40 trick but I imagine that its an Audi-wide (or at least RS/S-wide) policy shift towards a rear bias. I can't see a reason why it cant though - doesn't the Haldex Performance Part already offer this?

Sportback is something I hadn't considered - if the new S3 is Sportback-only I think I'd be left speechless and mortified. I don't really like the Sportback shape at all and whilst the current 8P shape doesn't do much for me, I imagine it could be made to look rather tasty.

At this stage though, without seeing any official shots, its pointless worrying as I really didn't like the standard 8L shape at all...and then along came the S3 grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder whether its simply a VAG remap or whether they've changed any of the hardware as with the last S3? If they haven't, then I'm concerned that this just won't be special enough....

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so, keep the value of my current S3 high!

Future classic here we come grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

doesn't the Haldex Performance Part already offer this

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true - supposedly it does. I can't remember being that overly impressed by it when I drove Dunc's car with this on - his rollbar setup made a better contribution IMO.

I'd bet on Audi making the S3 3 door only - to begin with at least and maybe introduce the Sportback later.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd bet on Audi making the S3 3 door only - to begin with at least and maybe introduce the Sportback later.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything i reckon they'll make the sportback over the 3dr, Audi have always liked the uber quick estate vibe', and it does make them very saleable to their market. (mid thirties family men with wives to convince) grin.gif

Hey, I might have to photoshop that document with some nice RS3 info, should be fun for the other forums!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

what do you reckon lads, a 500ps V8!

[ QUOTE ]

Errrm I was gonna ask what trick as well! All that one seems to do is turn out the light until the next time you turn the ignition off then on again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah bugger - no way of making it 'latch' and stay off permanently? crazy.gif

Ian

On that note, I'm a little worried that the S3 is appearing considerably later in the 8P model lifespan than the original did relative to the 8L. I have a feeling that 'new S3' values just won't hold out as well as the original did for so long.

The impact of the 8P on the current S3 was notable - surely the 'new S3' will be hit sooner in its lifetime by the replacement A3 whenever it arrives?

I think your right that is comming in a little late in the model cycle as the A3 will be due for change in not that many years time.

I think the BHP isn't a bad number at all and as a package it could be a damn good car. Its going to be light ish by the sounds of it for the current safety laden cars, has good power and should also have resonable economy, which is increasingly becoming a factor whether we like it or not. Its not going to have a nice sweet multi cylinder which is a shame but the 2.0T really is a cracking 4 cylinder and way way better than the 1.8t in every area.

Also add DSG for seemless powershifts and Quattro and its will have impressive performance figures too boot.

From what I've read and heard the S3 will be 3 door only and not Sportback. That makes sense as the 3dr is aimed at the sporty customer and the Sportback at the practical/lifestyle customer.

Also, I had a thought about the 3.2. Maybe they'll stop it in the 3dr for being too close to the S3 (in power terms) but leave it in the Sportback for those who want a powerful 5dr?

I think everybody is forgetting that bhp isnt everything, the 1.8T sport TT produces about 320Nm as standard and that is the same as the R32.

I would estimate the new Audi S3 to push out around 350Nm + and maybe even nearer 400Nm as standard, with the weight saving that should make for a intresting kick in the back feeling grin.gif

If Audi use their brain and put in the 60:40 quattro and make the steering similar in design to the RS4 they should be onto a winner, providing

A) they dont get too near the £30k price tag or

B) if they do sell around the £30k price tag they keep it full loaded

Im very intrested in what Audi have to offer in the small market segment as i do love my small cars.

I still miss my old S3 and sometimes i wish i had kept it but the R32 was too appealing at the time tongue.gif

Any more info Scotty?

Riz sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

From what I've read and heard the S3 will be 3 door only and not Sportback. That makes sense as the 3dr is aimed at the sporty customer and the Sportback at the practical/lifestyle customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi have a long history of making Autobahn stormers, RS/S estates etc.

IMO the sportback would make a craking S3 (with a nice fat body of course!)

grin.gif Oh and in respect to the late arrival !!! The Focus RS residuals held up well, as did the original R32, it just has to be a cracking car in the first place!

I'm happy with 256/260 bhp - most chipped cars are meant to be around that figure but on the rollers who knows - a genuine manafacturer 260 odd should be pretty quick.

Regarding new hardware, I heard previously that it was going to be the Golf engine with a bigger turbo, like the K04 we have today

Overall I think it seems a good spec if the chassis/braking is up to scratch

Dunc