Gitygate - GTI mod friendly ?

mainy

I don't have any experience of Citygate but Abt have probably the strongest working relationship with VW in Germany due to their racing activities. Abt are soon launching their iS-technology which is expensive but goes further than just tuning the power.

I imagine that in law Citygate would be responsible financially if it's them you would be making out the payment to. Doubtless they would be charging a profit markup in handling. My VW dealer was quite happy to fit my original Milltek system and also other aftermarket stuff.

Certainly it's very logical that the dealer (Citygate in this case) could not avoid responsibilities but it's also unlikely that mods by an approved and reputable company like Abt would go wrong. The dealer would only offer such products if they felt very confident in them.

Best to ask them yourself imo....and let us know....others are interested.

Are you thinking of modding your new snowmobile? grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My VW dealer was quite happy to fit my original Milltek system and also other aftermarket stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Red, I take it from that then, your dealer approves of your modifications, and will honour your warranty should something go wrong ?

(This is a genuine question mate, as I may be interested in doing some subtle exhaust/performance mods, myself smile.gif)

When my aftermarket black bum pimples (reversing sensors) appeared to be faulty they were prepared and totally willing to sort out the 'fault' (which turned out to be me!!). My dealer supplied them.

I supplied my Millteks and Holly Valance (I wish!!) and my VW dealer fitted. If their workmanship was at fault they would correct it. If in the extremely unlikely event that my Milltek exhaust caused a problem to other components then the cost would be down to me. If the exhaust itself has any problem whatsoever then I know that Milltek will sort it out under their lifetime guarantee.

Having spoken at length to VW UK on more than one occasion about warranty issues, I can confirm that to the best of my understanding, all VW UK wish to do is act fairly and therefore honour all warranty issues providing that an aftermarket component is found not to be the direct cause of a problem. The VW dealers are 'piggy in the middle' because they can lose out heavily if they approve a warranty repair/replacement without VW UK's approval.

The grey area is tuning and this is simply because modern ECUs are so complex and it can be difficult to prove 'direct cause'. This is why I personally have no interest in re-mapping unless dealer approved....I've witnessed it first-hand go very pear-shaped with Jay's GTI.

It's surely very unfair and unreasonable to expect VW and its representatives to pay for repairing damage caused by third party products.

[ QUOTE ]

When my aftermarket black bum pimples (reversing sensors) appeared to be faulty they were prepared and totally willing to sort out the 'fault' (which turned out to be me!!). My dealer supplied them.

I supplied my Millteks and Holly Valance (I wish!!) and my VW dealer fitted. If their workmanship was at fault they would correct it. If in the extremely unlikely event that my Milltek exhaust caused a problem to other components then the cost would be down to me. If the exhaust itself has any problem whatsoever then I know that Milltek will sort it out under their lifetime guarantee.

Having spoken at length to VW UK on more than one occasion about warranty issues, I can confirm that to the best of my understanding, all VW UK wish to do is act fairly and therefore honour all warranty issues providing that an aftermarket component is found not to be the direct cause of a problem. The VW dealers are 'piggy in the middle' because they can lose out heavily if they approve a warranty repair/replacement without VW UK's approval.

The grey area is tuning and this is simply because modern ECUs are so complex and it can be difficult to prove 'direct cause'. This is why I personally have no interest in re-mapping unless dealer approved....I've witnessed it first-hand go very pear-shaped with Jay's GTI.

It's surely very unfair and unreasonable to expect VW and its representatives to pay for repairing damage caused by third party products.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that Red; things are now much clearer.

As you say, it`s probably best to avoid any remapping, unless authorised by VW, which, I would imagine, isn`t likely at this stage.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that Red; things are now much clearer.

As you say, it`s probably best to avoid any remapping, unless authorised by VW, which, I would imagine, isn`t likely at this stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I was interested in the Citygate option.

I have been without my car for over 2 weeks now due to what seems to be a fault with the injectors / injector seals in my car.

I reckon that if I had been running a remap the dealer would have rejected any warranty claim as a remap increases the fuelling and I dread to think what the bill would end up being crazy.gif

I'm VERY keen to remap my GTI but at the moment it would only be if I can find a Scottish dealer that is mod friendly.

I have just taken delivery of my GTI from them (Edgware Rd branch). I wasn't blown away by the service and have a slight mis-trusting of them. BUT, I had a chat with the MD who explained that they have just been subject to a management buy-out from the HR Owen group and are trying to make significant improvements to their customer service, as it has been recognised that this has been poor in the past. So may be worth a try....