Ambient LED retrofitted

Nelson_R32

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I've been looking into fitting the ambient LEDs into the rear light unit of my B6 S4, so I removed the unit in the hope that there would be some drilling guides and/or a connector there to plug an LED unit into.

This is the light unit:

light1.JPG

This is the rear of the unit:

light7.JPG

This is the rear, with the two internal parts separated (the connection to the wiring loom is in the top part):

light5.JPG

And another pic of the inside of the light unit:

light3.JPG

Basically, I couldn't find anywhere in this unit that seems to be a connection to fit an LED unit. So I guess it's a case of finding the right connections and wiring in some LEDs myself. Does anyone know how would be best to do this? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a way to wire in the LEDs so that they are on permanently while the car lights are on, but not on otherwise, or so that they're not only on when the map lights are switched on.

Maybe the solution would be to connect LEDs such that they are on permanently (while the ignition is on), as they probably wouldn't be seen in daylight anyway.

Any ideas guys?

I used the front ambient light unit and fitted it underneath the part you have taken out. I used a meter to determine where to pick up the switched live feed from. I then cut the spade connectors off and soldered the wires onto the relevant connectors. I had to shorten the overall height of the led unit as it doesn't quite fit when you put it all back together.

Hope this helps

Thanks mate, that's exactly what I was after!

Do you mean you took off the spade connectors from the LED unit?

And I take it the switched live means that the LEDs are on as long as the ignition is on?

Thanks again.

Yes I took the spade connectors off. When I said switched live I should have said one that is switched by the lights. So the leds only come on with the lights. It may be easier to have an extra pair of hands to operate your light switch whilst you hold the meter on the terminals.

When I said switched live I should have said one that is switched by the lights. So the leds only come on with the lights.

By lights, do you mean the headlights, or the map lights on the unit? Just thinking that you might not be able to see the LEDs when the rear map lights are on!

Sorry for all the questions!!

By lights, do you mean the headlights, or the map lights on the unit? Just thinking that you might not be able to see the LEDs when the rear map lights are on!

Sorry for all the questions!!

Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant the headlights, so when they are switched on the red illumination appears on the map reading light buttons. This is the live feed you will use, so when you switch on the headlights the map light buttons illuminate and your new ambient leds will light up.

Hope this clears things up, if not keep asking, no problem.+++

Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant the headlights, so when they are switched on the red illumination appears on the map reading light buttons. This is the live feed you will use, so when you switch on the headlights the map light buttons illuminate and your new ambient leds will light up.

Ok that makes sense. I hadn't thought that there must be a switched (headlight) live to the map light unit to trigger the illumination of the buttons! Doh! :ffs:

For the drilling; for the best finish on the plastic, is it best to drill through from the back or from the front?

Thanks for all your help. Now I've just gotta buy the part and find a soldering iron! +++

For the drilling; for the best finish on the plastic, is it best to drill through from the back or from the front?

I drilled mine from the back. Just be careful when you work out the positions, because if you mark it out in the middle position in the back they will not be in the middle from the front. If that makes sense?

There is a guy on ebay who modifies the original front module and gives fitting instructions. They cost more than buying from the dealer but from what he says it is ready to fit. I think he is a member on audi-sport.net.

Here is the link: Audi A3 A4 S3 S4 RS4 - REAR Ambient Interior Lighting on eBay (end time 02-Nov-09 09:37:45 GMT)

I drilled mine from the back. Just be careful when you work out the positions, because if you mark it out in the middle position in the back they will not be in the middle from the front. If that makes sense?

There is a guy on ebay who modifies the original front module and gives fitting instructions. They cost more than buying from the dealer but from what he says it is ready to fit. I think he is a member on audi-sport.net.

Here is the link: Audi A3 A4 S3 S4 RS4 - REAR Ambient Interior Lighting on eBay (end time 02-Nov-09 09:37:45 GMT)

Thanks mate. The ebay guy looks pretty useful, although you still have to drill & glue yourself as it's only the modified LED unit he's selling, plus fitting instructions. I did a bit of looking around on audi-sport.net though, and found this fairly handy guide, which basically does exactly as you've described, with pictures.

Although I see what you mean about the middle of the back not being the middle of the visible part of the unit, as the chap in the link found out, after drilling!!