360 and Wireless Performance

akira

I've managed to get my 360 set up to stram hi-def vids from my media centre box, im really struggling for a decent wireless signal (my laptops are fine, seems the xbox wireless adapter is very low powered).

In an attempt to get more bandwidth i tried Ethernet over Power, got 48Mbps (still not good enough)and the plugs kept tripping my electrics, so they've been removed (if anyone's interested they are for sale)

So my question is this, what access points do people recommend? I've been looking at the Linksys MIMO one which might do the job but i've also been reading about the advantages of using 802.11a for better streaming of video etc.

Its only about 40ft to my xbox from my current WAP but like i said the signal is awful.

Suggestions welcome

The problem might be that the XBOX is close to your TV and other such electrical items. This really causes wireless a problem.

40ft on its own should be no problem for a 11g set up. But the speed you actually get is never up to 54 as the further you move away the worst wireless gets.

One of the MIMO set ups might help until the really 16n network standards are released. 169144-ok.gif

No its not better but different. 11g has most of the aspects of a and b togeather. 11a can sometime be better if there are lots of competing signals at the lower frequency.

11g is still the better standard compared to a and b especially if walls and distance is an issue as a/b struggle with them. 169144-ok.gif

The long and short of it is the current standards are not really up to wireless HD steaming just yet. Some of the Pre-N kit is much better apparently but the standard hasn't been ratified yet so could change. confused.gif

wired system is looking the way to go, I might just do a long run of STP in place of another cable. Power over Ethernet and wireless just aint cutting it when streaming hi-def 5.1 content

Anyone know a good place for getting a 100mtr length of STP?

Andy

I bought the std wireless adapter for the xbox and had some issues as you indicated, despite the fact that my laptops seem to connect fine.

I put this down to the proximity of the TV etc.

In the end I dropped in a wireless bridge closeby, but away from the TV and AV amp etc, and then hardwired the xbox into the bridge using ethernet cable and now it seems much better.

I'm using Netgear kit allround (router, print server and wireless bridges).