[Audi A3/S3] A3 GEARBOX TALE OF WOE

Braytak

Hello

A friend of mine has owned an A3 1.6 sport from new, which is a little over three years old. Just before christmas his gearbox stared to make a whining noise and became difficult to select third gear. The dealer investigated and informed him he needed a new gearbox and clutch as the gearbox had thrown its oil all over the clutch as well. The cost was quoted at £2,700 Flush.gif The car has barely done 33k so he quite understanably got a little angry as they did not offer any deal or good will gesture, niether did they give an explanation of what was wrong.

He phone Audi UK and explained the situation, they came back later that day and offered a miserly £300 toward the cost since the car was only just out of warranty and had done relatively little mileage. My friend was awestruck by the generosity as you could imagine, anyway suffice to say that he declined and is now trying to source some independent help.

Correct me if my assumptions are incorrect but could the problem be main shaft oil seal and bearing or worse, third gear synchromesh and oil seal and bearing.

Is there any body out there that could offer some advice in terms of what the likelihood is of getting this reconditioned or repaired independently. He lives in Cardiff but given the price Cardiff Audi want for simply slotting in a replacement gearbox he would be willing to travel if neccessary.

Any words of wisdom greatfully recieved and happy new year to all! 169144-ok.gif

Gez...

Suggest he writes 'strongly' to Audi UK (and Audi, Germany if neccessary) with his complaint, I had a similar issue with BMW over a propshaft, suspension linkages and some engine problems that the dealer didn't want to do as it was a few weeks out of warranty - but these things don't fail overnight, anyway after a few nice but 'firm' letters to BMW UK all was sorted FOC.

Failing that get nasty make a real stink over it with Audi, involve the motoring press if neccessary and make a real loud fuss in the dealership as often as neccessary, preferably when it's full of punters looking at new cars and see what happens.

If that doesn't work burn the place down... ROLLEY~14.GIF

beerchug.gif

Sounds like a good plan but he is a fairly undemonstrative sort of chap and doesn't like the bother but Iwill try and persuade him too get tougher before shelling out big spondoolies. I will add some wieght because they are trying to sell me a new A4 Cab 3.2 SLine, I may just hint at the customer service concerns I have heard from a fellow owner.

Cheers for the wise words. 169144-ok.gif

Gez..

I would email Audi’s chairman “Martin Winterkorn” at [email protected] as I remember reading a story about someone who had a problem with there A6 that started to have countless issues. This person wrote a letter to the chairman explaining the issues and he got a replacement vehicle.

I also seem to remember someone saying that the chairman is impartial and not employed directly to Audi/VW but I can’t confirm this.

It can’t hurt to try this method as the worst thing that could happen is nothing.

I needed a new fuel filter and pump following a bout with contaminated petrol. Audi couldn't source the parts due to them being "renumbered" and after some "sharp" conversations with Audi UK got a courtesy A6 for the duration and free fitting of the parts when the arrived. I'd get stuck into Audi UK as its clearly a "first offer" and some rather more vociferous complaining could do the trick.

BTW - it took 'em 5 months to gets the parts situation rectified....I kept my gob well and truly shut!!!

Cheers

Andy.