Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Metalex

My spec (+ iPod prep?)

74 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Not to mine, I don't have the CD player so the opening in mine is a 'L' shape, where as that one has two openings, one where the CD player/ipod goes and another smaller one. So it might fit those cars that want to replace CD players but doesn't look like it will fit mine. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ah , I've got the cd changer so maybe that's it, means you can't just order the armrest and change then

I think so Steve frown.gif I guess you could replace the whole arm-rest but thats going a bit far just for an ipod mount!

VW do USB connector too (that will also fit the ipod)

I don't think you have to have it in a bracket, just loose in the armrest would probably be better TBH.

ooohhh that looks interesting, what is it and where did you find it petsy.

Is it OEM, looks it! 169144-ok.gif

want one. Where did you get it petsy?

As the dealer said he will fit it for me if I source my own. As LeMan said it looks OEM

All VW Dealerships can now provide you with the VW iPod adapter, Part Number :-

1KO 051 445

Cost is £100 (inc VAT).

I'm getting mine fitted over the weekend 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

All VW Dealerships can now provide you with the VW iPod adapter, Part Number :-

1KO 051 445

Cost is £100 (inc VAT).

I'm getting mine fitted over the weekend 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So where does it go? ie. do you get a cradle for the centre armrest or glove box?

Hope it's compatible with RCD500 when I get it.

OK with RCD500 and I'm putting it either in the glovebox or the cubbie drawer in the dash (below the steering wheel on R). There is no cradle as such but this suits me as I don't want it cluttering the dash, as with the Dension in the Polo. 169144-ok.gif TP.

670221-Dension1.JPG

post-3262-137914340856_thumb.jpg

Does the 100 include fitting by VW? Hoepfully my dealer will do it for free as he said he would......

If I want it shall I just get my dealer to order it? Or do I have to order it myself?

CHeers!

[ QUOTE ]

Does the 100 include fitting by VW? Hoepfully my dealer will do it for free as he said he would.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the £100 is for the parts only. If your dealer will fit it free, you're quids in !! Remember, the same kit (factory fitted in the arm rest) will be £295. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Any idea if it works with the Nav!grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The instruction manual with the kit says it'll work with the VW Sat-Nav... 169144-ok.gif

It's annoying, cause i'm kind of likin' my CD changer in the armrest... bugger!

I need to delve a bit deeper re: the Nav. hopefully (as in Audis case) mp3 tags can be viewed!!! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Does the 100 include fitting by VW? Hoepfully my dealer will do it for free as he said he would.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the £100 is for the parts only. If your dealer will fit it free, you're quids in !! Remember, the same kit (factory fitted in the arm rest) will be £295. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But on a new build that would include the armrest, would it not?

TP27 - are you able to shuffle or repeat from the RCD headunit or is it just the CD1 - 6 buttons that are enabled?

Cheers!

[ QUOTE ]

Is there a USB version available i.e for Creative etc ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea, sorry. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there is, there was a feature a while back on VW.de

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there is, there was a feature a while back on VW.de

[/ QUOTE ]

The original German VW web-site showed two versions, the iPod interface AND a USB interface but whether the USB is available yet here in the UK, I have no idea, sorry. znaika.gif

is the long cable the one you woul dnormally get for a cd changer?, ie if you replace the changer do you just need the box of electronics and the connector?

[ QUOTE ]

is the long cable the one you woul dnormally get for a cd changer?, ie if you replace the changer do you just need the box of electronics and the connector?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i'm hoping 169144-ok.gif

Right, that's the VW iPod Adapter fitted in the R.

Easy job for my tech in the end. The RCD500 head unit does allow two CD channels, so you can press CD on the head unit and it'll play all 6 CD's in the unit OR it allows you to press the CD button on the head unit again and this allows Bottons 1 to 5 for playlists and Button 6 for all the tracks stored on your iPod.

I have a 20 GB photo iPod and so far I have 2,800 tracks on it. The sound quality is excellent and my tech has managed to feed the iPod connector into the centre armrest. There is plenty of connector wire in the VW kit and it's not a messy job. The connecting wire runs from the head unit, down and under the gearshift, along the centre console and into the armrest. The armrest was easy to take apart (clips and five T20 screws)and the connector sits in the armrest and there's planty of room for the iPod to sit there. No cradle is necessary. The handbook that comes with the VW Adapter recommends putting the iPod in the glovebox but this is daft. Connecting it to the armrest is easy and it's by far the best site for access and security !!

I now have the Nokia bluetooth connection (C7-1W) kit and the iPod connection in the car and the work was relatively easy for my tech. Time to complete the iPod connection, about an hour and a half. It's dark now but I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. 169144-ok.gif TP.

I take it your CD changer for the 500 is built in to the HU.

I have the Nav and my changer is in the armrest. Does it say anything in the VW ipod manual about the nav.

cheers in advance mate! 169144-ok.gif