Loss of power in VW Golf TDi

geo_kate

My VW Golf 1.9TDi (1997) loses power intermittently, generally when I am on the motorways. I have read a lot of posts about this type of problem on the site so its obviously a common. So far I have had the MAF changed and the garage has kindly replaced the 109 relay 3 times (despite me telling them it wasnt doing any good) and the garage cant find a fault code. Luckily my cousin did find one - Code: 00575 Intake manifold pressure, so he is going to come over and check on a few things. But is there anything else anyone can suggest. (No, I cant afford a new car.)

To summarise the problem - its intermittent power loss sometimes lasts a couple of days sometimes a few minutes and is getting dangerous - it nearly caused me to wipe out a BMW as I pulled in after overtaking it and had a power loss problem. They thought I was being a ar$£.

Kate, most of the posts on here will have details of possible causes for your problem (limp mode).

Just clarify, is it a mk3 or mk4? What power output is the engine (90, 110, 115, etc.)?

The fault code you posted doesn't read true. Can you confirm what the number is? I'm guessing it's P1557 (charge pressure control - positive deviation), which would indicate too much boost being read by the ecu and sensors. One possible cause of this would be the intake manifold clogged with gunk (caused by poor fuel quality, pootling about without letting the turbo have a good spin etc.) or the n75 valve maybe (which tells the turbo when to produce boost).

Hi,

Sorry I have been away and thanks for the replies. Its a Mark 3 (last batch of the mark 3s as Dec 1997).Power of engine is 90bhp.

I do 25,000 miles a year mostly (90% of) my driving is motorways and being limited to 60mph on hills 80 mph on downhills is killing me.

Yep I have used poor fuel in the past so that might be the problem.

The fault code info I have off my cousin who was able to download it on some gizmo he has and reads as below:-

Code: 00575 Intake manifold pressure

Possible effects: Sudden loss of power or Reduced power Possible causes: Hoses wrongly connected, not connected, blocked orleaking Vacuum unit for turbocharger defective Boost pressure limitation solenoid valve (N75)defective

Fault in hose connection to intake manifold pressure

sender (G71)

Ah, all is revealed. The Mk3 engine has a pressure sensing hose which leads from the inlet manifold to the ECU and it (ecu) reads the pressure directly in the ecu. This hose will doubtless need replacing. It's a few feet long, and like I said, goes from the inlet manifold to the ecu under the plastic trim where the wiper linkage is.

It's cheap and can be done at home easily enough. I'd do that first. 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice - not getting a chance to go online much at work as its busy. The car is going in again to the garage on thursday for them to look at the ignition (another problem) and I will ask about the hoses. Last week they cleaned out a filter that lead into the turbo (so they said) . They didnt charge me and it seemed to sort out he power problem for a couple of days but we are back to intermittent power loss again now.

Hey Kate,

Well I have exactly the same problem as you. Same car, year etc etc. As soon as I hit 70mph the car goes into limp mode. Can be very frustrating when you hit a hill and go down to 65mph and have the lorries you just over took come and over take you.

I had the ECU read, inlet manifold pressure error.

My garage wants to replace the sensor for that (at a cost of £120). But I will have a look at the hose, anyone know where abouts it is? left/right of the engine?