First impressions of a Mk5 R32 by a GTI driver...

RedRobin

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't argue with LeMan, but at my speeds, the r32 feels more planted and less twitchy than the gti, but I'm a 75%er not a 90%er, and i really like having a big n/a lump in the front. age / midlife crisis thing?

anyway you pays yer money and you makes yer choice as my pa wld say!

[ QUOTE ]

Hit a bend way too fast in an R32 and you'll end up in a ditch

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd be surprised how much you can get away with in the MkV .:R before the ESP even thinks about kicking in LeMan 169144-ok.gif

natural grip is far better than I expected, and having hit quite a few corners maybe a tad too fast on familiar country roads blush.gif I can confirm that it does just fine grin.gif

tyres really take a beating when you drive it like this though - not surprising for a car this size weighing nearly 1600 kg.

Have found there is a knack to getting the haldex working - rather than foot down all the way through the corner have been trying to floor it just at point of turn in - and you can then feel the drive shifting rearward whilst the car stays much flatter through the corners. It really makes mincemeat of the twisties when you take this approach.

I've found this technique harder to master than in my old V6 4motion though - I think because the chassis can handle more beans and therefore needs more "provoking" than was possible in the Mk4.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Have found there is a knack to getting the haldex working - rather than foot down all the way through the corner have been trying to floor it just at point of turn in - and you can then feel the drive shifting rearward whilst the car stays much flatter through the corners. It really makes mincemeat of the twisties when you take this approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

bang on 169144-ok.gif , don't get me wrong, I miss AWD more than anything. It was brilliant. It did underwhelm me though at silverstone, where on a very wet summers day last year i was able to put the Haldex through it's paces. Bit too much understeer. But you are dead right, feeding the corners produces a much more satisfying result than a hard yank of the wheel!