First impressions of a Mk5 R32 by a GTI driver...

RedRobin

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and Leman I really would'nt compare an Audi A3 3.2 with an R32, chalk & cheese mate,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they are mate, i was only stating that if i were to do a comparism, that's more or less what i would have written. I can imagine the R feels 10 times more planted than the A3 ever will, but the other details are very similar (front heavy etc). Anyhow you've had both so you obviously know all this 169144-ok.gif

Hi fagash - I have only driven a bog standard Mk4 Golf and not that .:R version. Even as the day went on, I stopped and then on return to the Mk5 .:R she felt slightly less heavy. I think that the DSG will suit my driving style much better and cause me to reassess the car's feel. I am worried though about how much I could find myself having fun at much higher speeds. As others have posted, the GTI isn't the fastest or best handling car on the road but it's very practical on UK roads and I adore its styling - especially mine of course with Milltek Quads and upgraded suspension (same as Jay's).

I can't imagine that the Audi A3 3.2 gets anyway near the Mk5 R32 in terms of a grunty drive. It's when I started pushing the R32 that she became very special....But.... sekret.gif Too easily a licence loser! You know when you are doing 100 in the GTI (and it feels good, so I'm told on good authority) but 100 in the R32 feels more like 80.

Afterall, the Mk5 R32 is basically in one sense a heavily modded Mk5 GTI, if you see what I mean, and they share some of the same qualities - hence my biass for the Golf and lack of interest in the Audis.

Agree with RS32 on the looks issue. 169144-ok.gif

Totally agree that the gti looks much better than the R especially when fitted with the 18" monzas, but the R is totally understated which is what I like about it, I prefer the 'Q' car concept, pretty much the same opinion as RS32 on that beerchug.gif

You query what the F*ck was that!! when it rips past you, and by the same token, you get no attention when pottering about...... FIREdevil.gif

So if your buying on looks alone, then yep go for the gti with the 18's, looks top............oh yes and if you want half decent fuel consumption...gti.......right I better stop here...... coz I will be talking myself out of me R32 next........ suicide.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer the 'Q' car concept, pretty much the same opinion as RS32 on that beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You see that's the problem i have with the R. From the back the R looks awesome, absolutely awesome, But from the front, my black GTI looks dark, phat, and all that glimmers is a little red lip gloss and a silver badge... you know what's coming so i won't go on.

Why couldn't they have made the beard optional, get my drift? 169144-ok.gif

The funny thing is, out in LA, amongst all the Escalades and Hummers, the few Passats i saw with the chrome fronts, actually worked quite well in that company! smashfreakB.gif

I've spent all my working life as a pro designer and art director and it's where I have a recognised talent. Plus as a musician who quite enjoys the warmth of an on-stage spotlight and, much more importantly, the warmth of a happy audience whenever possible....I just have to accept my own tendencies and desires....for a car which I think looks good as well as which feels good. I was like that with my racing bicycles too and my musical instruments! I do understand and respect all who think otherwise and can see why VW have styled the R32 for a more discrete market. Weird thing is that, on paper, at 58yo with enough dosh for it, I'm VW's typical market for their flagship R32....At least that's the theory.

I think that Saab driver thought what the feck was that when I blasted by at ???mph. Also the Mercedes driver I blew away inside a roundabout while confident in my 4WD. Merde!! This isn't getting any easier!

[ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is, out in LA, amongst all the Escalades and Hummers, the few Passats i saw with the chrome fronts, actually worked quite well in that company! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....It's amazing what different lighting, blue skies and palm trees can do! Plus the whole 'attitude' of West Coast Americans.

The annoying thing is... when i had my 3.2, whilst bombing down the motorway at a ton+, using more fuel than HMS Ark Royal, I couldn't shake off those annoying little astra vans that insist on driving everywhere at 120mph.

I'm not prepared to risk my licence to prove a point! Been there done that, got the points... not again! The fastest i will drive is around the 100 mark!

Well I have an Armani smile.gif Steel Grey R32 and I too like the stealth look. In particular the Aluminium look front does'nt stand out as much on the Steel Grey and Reflex Silver ones. I like the wheels and personally think they look much better that the Monza ones but I agree that they will be a toothbrush job to keep clean.

I find the ride to be very good and comfortable - my car is shod with 225/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Exalto (which according to Michelin' website they don't produce so replacements could be amusing)

The DSG suits the V6 engine perfectly and I fully agree about the car acquiring speed very quickly - you think you're doing 50 and when you look at the speedo you're doing 80. This speed is all acquired very quickly and smoothly and I think it fools you into thinking that the R32 is not as fast as it actually is. I guess this is also part of the reason why coming from a GTI, an R32 does'nt feel a lot faster because it much smoother. The reality is however that the instant go of the R32 is much better.

With regard to the comment about heaviness of the car - if you take a corner on a trailing or semi-trailing throttle then the nose of the car is undoubtedly going to feel heavier than the GTI. I suspect most GTI drivers would naturally do this in these conditions with Front wheel drive - however in the R32 if you press on and use the 4WD to push power to the rear then you get a completely different feeling where the Haldex clutch transfers power to the rear and you can get a controlled 4wd drift under power. In this respect it reminds me of a UR Quattros I used to own - motoring journalists have also compared this feature to a 911 4S.

Fuel costs - my car is now at 600+ miles and I've averaged just over 24 mpg. The engine is obviously still being run in but I do notice in traffic that the consumption increases markedly. In rush hour traffic it was down to 18mpg and the best I've averaged in busy traffic conditions is 22mpg.

Didn't have a MultiFun Wheel - Mean stealer dealer feckers!! - and I didn't know how to set the display for mpg. I was too busy exploring the car's feel to drive.

Yet again you hit nail on head, LeMan - It's too easy to have fun nailing others and then risk licence losing. Whereas with the GTI you can have fun without getting too ambitious. It's particularly bad in my case cos I'm a bit anti-establishment and enjoy putting anyone's nose out of joint who seems snotty. I would be potentially more of a boy-racer in a R32 than a GTI!!

Hi scilly - Great to have a R32 driver here to comment 169144-ok.gif . Dead right, I did naturally tail off the throttle from 135 to lose speed into that high speed sweep and then she twitched when I dropped down a gear and got back on to it....I simply wasn't familiar enough with the car to have the balls to do otherwise. DSG paddles float my boat.

In summary, the R32 is a heck more powerful than the GTI at the upper end....and the traction gets you off the line much more directly too. The GTI is no slouch, but. It's why we all love cars! 169144-ok.gif

I'm off to meet TSN friend Simkna soon....He's well experienced so it'll be great to chat....We might even talk about cars! grin.gif Not the R32 though!

Have to say red, that your first impressions were pretty much spot on, reminded me of my first spin in a MK4 R32, but I think you will now understand that the gti "feels" quick, where as the 32 does'nt, until you look at the speedo!!! FIREdevil.gif

It is a very deceptive car and bloody quick, and your comments about licensing losing, testify to that.....you really have to watch that speedo... confused.gif

I do think that you will find the DSG a much better proposition than the manual, and due to your much greater experience with the DSG sytem, I would be very interested in your comments after your DSGTD.........when is that scheduled by the way??

In my A3 i regularaly used to go over 120mph, completely unknowingly and something I really don't agree with (very high speed driving). It's incredible how well mannered it was as such high speeds!!! EEK2.GIF

The deceptively quick argument I completely understand and agree with. Personally i'd rather have a car that was slow, but felt quick (like my SR) than one that is really quick, but feels slower. 169144-ok.gif

anyway, back to work!

Great thread Red! laugh.gif

I faced a similar problem when trying to decide between the GTI and the R32. I’m currently running a JCW Mini Cooper S, which at around 215bhp now (with a few extra bits tongue.gif) is a real riot.

I LOVE the GTI…I mean I really love it! The looks of it for starters are great. Just love them in black with the red “lip gloss” around the front. I’ve seen a few parked outside my office in London and they look fantastic!

I then looked at the R and although it looks great from the back, I’m not “bowled over” with the chrome chin at the front. I’m actually hoping a tuner / modifier somewhere will offer a replacement part for this…maybe in carbon fibre tongue.gif

Anyway point is, is that where I love the GTI for it’s looks, it’s just too similar in performance for me, so yes…I ordered the R instead.

I have to admit I’ve never driven a GTI, but compared to my Mini, the R didn’t feel that heavy, in fact I remember thinking how light the steering was….almost too light!

I guess what I’m trying to get at (without rambling on too much) is that, whereas the GTI is fantastic, it is similar to what I currently have, whereas the R is a whole new kettle of fish.

I’ve never had a 4WD car before, nor have I had anything larger than a 1.8 litre engine (mind you the Caterham and Elise were still quick laugh.gif).

I love the thought of having a turbo in the GTI, but it’s just having FWD that puts me off. I know having 215bhp in my Mini is quite a handful, so I’d hate to see what 240…250….260bhp in a FWD car would be like, especially in the wet tongue.gif

For me the R is about grip and power! I want something that has a great V6 howl, something that will screech the tyres in the wet and something….well a bit different smile.gif

However, I know I’m going to have to be careful on the motorways with it as it sounds like racking up the speed (and really feeling it) is a bit too easy! Gulp!

Bloody good description there Leman 169144-ok.gif the TT could be the modern curved green version of the Taxi!

But R32 DSG is pretty much budget supercar, with F1 paddles!!!

I have to agree with scilly on the driving experience, you can actually get the arse end out on this car, and 4 wheel drift it, reminds me of me good old RS2000 on that score, It really is quite something these days.... as Front Wheel drive has been the norm for so long now........

fagash - Schedule for DSG drive is dependent on how soon they can organise one for me....Ball is in dealer's court.

LeMan - I agree with you now I'm more mature and anyway, the UK road conditions have greatly changed with more traffic volumes and therefore a higher number of idiot drivers. Gone are the days of a regular blast down the M5 in an ex LeMan D-type or a road-going Lotus 11 around the Worcestershire lanes. If you were in a Ferrari Mr Plod would stop you just to have a chat and enthuse about your car! The roads were in many ways much safer, believe it or not.

Driving the R32 is making me appreciate my GTI....Yet again! Every day I drive her I feel that way. Get thee hence, evil .:R worm!!

Completely off topic....Just listening to MaryJBlige's album...."One" with U2 is awesome! Life is good 169144-ok.gif

Red,

Regarding the DSG over the Manual car, my TD was the other way around. They only had the DSG and I’m craving to have a go in the manual!

For my 2p’s worth (and no disrespect to DSG owners), but I felt that the system really detracted from the entire driving experience. Sure you could go quicker, but it felt a very lazy way of driving. Clicking up…then clicking down…didn’t really stir my senses! It was more like a computer game than a driving experience frown.gif

I hear people saying that the DSG works brilliantly with the V6 engine and I’d have to agree, but because there is a lot of torque, because it’s so smooth. After a few clicks you’re in licence losing territory.

For me, it didn’t have the satisfaction of really gunning through the gears, or holding the revs. I just know that because the engine is so torquey, that after a week of playing with it, I’d end up slotting it into auto mod and become a very lazy (but fast) driver.

[ QUOTE ]

Great thread Red! laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....+++ Good to have the encouragement. Why not give it a TSN star rating. cool.gif

Your post is pretty good too! What's great is that it's bringing out everyone's experiences and can only help others with their car-swop worm syndromes.

Abt have done a carbon fibre nose component for the Mk5 GTI so perhaps in time. Two hundred and something notes though! Not cheap.

I've driven Ray West's 270 bhp GTI in the wet but it's heavily modded with suspension (he did mine) and Porsche calipers and his own milled brakes etc etc. It's surprisingly smooth as he has concentrated on driveability. Still, he's a fully licensed racing driver and I'm not.

Grip/traction is the Mk5 GTI's Achilles Heel (weakness - for those without a classical education).

Yes, you are going to love your new R32 like I love my GTI, but you are going to have to watch your speed. Invest in something like a Road Angel which also gives a much more accurate speed readout. I don't bother to look at my car clock speedo anymore....Just Angel and rev counter.

Enjoy your new R32 when she comes. 169144-ok.gif

Cheers Red laugh.gif

Yeah I already have a Roadangel Compact in my Mini which clearly displays my speed (thank god!).

I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting Ray West, but a few of my colleagues have had Mini’s tuned by him. He does a little “stealth” conversion for the JCW model Mini which gives it some real beans!! laugh.gif The guy certainly knows a hell of a lot about cars and is a fountain of information!

Can’t wait for my R to come, but I fear it might be sometime. Ordered last November and have been told that it’s a years wait frown.gif

Anyway, good things come to those that wait…apparently! I would like to say though that after seeing some of your pictures (months ago), I’ve decided that my first mod’s would be a Pioneer Avic Sat Nav system and a Milltek exhaust! laugh.gif

Now come on…get your name down on the order list! tongue.gif

I am with Leman on this one, that 3.2 V6 is a bugger for that.......

Used to do it all the time in the one I had, I did 110 this morning along the M4 in er indoors A3 Sportback 140 TDI before realising & having the oh F*ck I am f*cked if there is an unmarked anywhere................feeling.....not....nice.......at all, and totally unintentional....honest!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

In my A3 i regularaly used to go over 120mph, completely unknowingly

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on LeMan! Yes car's will creep up to speeds that can surprise you, but an A3 going over 120mph without you having a clue? shocked.gif

I think there is a slight element of exaggeration in there! grin.gifwink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I kid you not mate, it was nothing like the GTI. It would pull 120 in fourth EEK2.GIF If you were in 4th and you gun it, it would spin up to what you think is a ton in no time whatsoever, glimpse at the speedo and you have a heart attack! The A3 is worse than the R32 for being a wolf in lambs clothing!

I can't imagine what the DSG must be like! " UHOH7.GIF