First impressions of a Mk5 R32 by a GTI driver...

RedRobin

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on, no-one can claim they've got to a speed in excess of 100mph in an A3 (let alone 110, 120+ mph) and say they didn't realise it.

If that's the case, it's careless driving.

I know if I'm doing 100mph in the 6....because whilst I can't hear a great deal I can still see the speedo!!!!!!!

I could accelerate as hard as possible in either of my previous M3's and you'd still know when you reached an excessive speed!!!!!

I don't care what anyone drives, if you're doing 110, 120+ mph....you have to be driving carelessly not to know it.

AGREED 169144-ok.gif

I know when I have hit 100,ph in the Monaro cos the speed reminder alert kicks in. I have it set at 100. I could programme the other four settings but dont really see the point.

Agreed that in any car, you would certainly know that you were travelling at 100mph or more. I know wen I am travelling at about 80 without having to look at the speedo, simply cos the cabin noise is full of the V8 howling through the new exhaust and at 100 it is even louder.

Chrisbuer your test drive in a DSG sounds like my first impressions after my first drive in a DSG. which was a TT

There is quite a learning curve with the system,i was talking to a good mate of mine who has been with VW for 20 odd years, and he reckons two months is what it takes to fully familiarise and drive the DSG to it's full potential.

I understand your comments completely about it "detracting" from the driving experience,that was my very first impression, but once you actually start using the thing for a while and getting used to it,and the options you have, I think the reverse is true.

Bloody hell Red!I am starting to sound like:

The ultimate DSG united fan............. you

Well they do say that impression is the highest form of flattery, or some blarney to that effect............ beerchug.gif

Well when I took that Saab it was only just after passing that I checked my speedo before the bend and saw 135....a moment earlier I was aware of only doing 100. Please understand this was on a stretch of smooth surface with very high visibility and that it was my first drive in the R32. I'm not saying that what I did was right but it was not unsafe or irresponsible behaviour towards others using the road at that time. In fact I'm pointing out the ease of going faster than we should do. Your 6 will be similar.

I'd agree with the above regarding driver awareness, but I think what they're trying to get at is the big engined cars such as this can be very deceptive... 100mph might feel like 70mph for example.

Being an advanced driver (ROSPA / IAM), I know how important awareness is and saying "I'm sorry Mr Plod, I didn't realise my speed" wouldn't boad well wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with the above regarding driver awareness, but I think what they're trying to get at is the big engined cars such as this can be very deceptive... 100mph might feel like 70mph for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I mentioned that I still don't think it's a case of not knowing your speed. The 6 has a 4.5 litre V8 under the bonnet and if I set it in non-Sport and Auto mode I'll not hear a whisper, just a little rumble from the exhausts and engine as I accelerate. Over 80mph it's acceleration is very swift indeed, but I'll still know I'm doing 110 or 120mph!

It doesn't matter what noise the car does or doesn't make, or whether or not you look at the speedo even.....the scenery goes past you at a pace that is the same as the reading on the speedo that you're not looking at!

I just don't buy it at all. Yes, you can gain speed quickly - but to say you didn't realise you'd got to 110 or 120mph in an A3 (never mind a bigger car) just isn't something you can take seriously.

Edited to add: MOSE, I've done exactly the same by the way. In both M3's and the 6...the speed warning is set to 100mph. Even if I switched it off though, I don't think anyone can get to 110 or 120 mph without knowing.

Mrme,

Not careless driving, just a bad case of:

Foo Fighter's, shed load of open motorway and jumping out of a Focus oil burner van into a reasonably pokey, comfortable car..........

On second thought's! that could be possibly construed as careless driving...............

Nop on the motorway, does'nt count..........

Going slow on the motorway.... now that is what I call careless & very dangerous........ SPericani2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Nop on the motorway, does'nt count..........

Going slow on the motorway.... now that is what I call careless & very dangerous........ SPericani2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure that doing 110mph on a Motorway and 'not knowing' isn't careless driving?

I agree on people who go too slow on the motorway, but I'm talking of the 50-60mph brigade with that comment.

You can't use it as being 'more dangerous than 110mph and not knowing it' though!

That's exactly it, ChrisBuer. I wrote: "but 100 in the R32 feels more like 80" in my earlier post.

"Awareness" of everything is everything - This cannot be emphasised enough! I just went for it and drove totally by feel in that Saab fly-by....The conditions allowed it but I know the law didn't. Having done it at least I know a little better how the Mk5 R32 behaves and overall that's got to be a good thing. And I'm not advocating an extension of such logic beyond safe or responsible parameters. In fact i'm saying that, enjoyable as it is, I'm not sure I need that kind of licence losing temptation.

Exactly, I knew I was going fast, no question. But because it was so sedate, I didn't realise exactly how fast!!! A 3.2 A3 isn't your normal run of the mill family hatchbacks. An engine that big in a car that size is madness IMO (but then that's half the fun cool.gif) Lets just say on a number of occassions it caught me out, and i normally never go over a 100 (not worth the risk)

PS: Chris, where are you in Essex 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I knew I was going fast, no question. But because it was so sedate, I didn't realise exactly how fast!!! A 3.2 A3 isn't your normal run of the mill family hatchbacks. An engine that big in a car that size is madness IMO (but then that's half the fun cool.gif) Lets just say on a number of occassions it caught me out, and i normally never go over a 100 (not worth the risk)

PS: Chris, where are you in Essex 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of that, but it's no speed machine either. It's just stretching it beyond belief. Take this as an example.

You're doing 80mph in your A3 3.2 on the M1. You accelerate to overtake. Now then, to get to 120mph I don't care what you're driving, you're not going sedately! You are increasing your speed by 50%! No-one in their right mind can say they don't notice a difference and don't realise they've gone way beyond what might be considered normal acceleration and speeds!!!!!

So let's say you do it over a long strech of road, 5 minutes even - the noise, the ride, the reaction of the car - everything changes!!! You just don't NOT realise you're doing 120mph!!!

[ QUOTE ]

but the point was that doing 120+mph (or 110mph) in an A3

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you keep stating this confused.gif

I've done 100mph in Disco's, Jags, 5 series and Explorers etc etc, it's got nothing to do with the size of the car. 100mph in a Disco feels about as wobbly as a 1.1 fiesta IMO. It's down to how stable, fast and planted the car is, and most importantly how loud and intrusive the engine noise is.

100mph + in a 3.2 A3 will feel a lot more sedate than in a Civic Type R, even though arguably they are the same size car.

I agree with you....and it's by doing it that I have now learnt what to expect from the R32 and how to "know it" from henceforth. I don't think this could happen again for me in this car without me now being aware. I'm now saying to myself "Okay, she goes like this when blah blah blah and I know what to look out for and be more aware of". I was on a Test Drive.

I think that all LeMan is meaning is that speed can be deceptive. He's a 'creative' like me, and we are all inclined to express ourselves creatively.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of that, but it's no speed machine either. It's just stretching it beyond belief. Take this as an example.

You're doing 80mph in your A3 3.2 on the M1. You accelerate to overtake. Now then, to get to 120mph I don't care what you're driving, you're not going sedately! You are increasing your speed by 50%! No-one in their right mind can say they don't notice a difference and don't realise they've gone way beyond what might be considered normal acceleration and speeds!!!!!

So let's say you do it over a long strech of road, 5 minutes even - the noise, the ride, the reaction of the car - everything changes!!! You just don't NOT realise you're doing 120mph!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't draw on specifics, i'm just saying it caught me out that's all.

When your gunning up a sliproad to join the motorway and you accellerate hard into the fast lane (in say 5th) and keep accelerating until your passing traffic, paying more attention to the road than your speedo. You think your doing about a ton, cause that's what a ton feels like in some other cars, but when you glance down it's nearer 115-120mph.

I'm not trying to be a hero, just pointing out that in that particular car (one of many cars i've owned) It's easy to reach speeds you don't realise you're doing.

Ok folks, just to nip this whole discussion in the bud....

Bit of a diatribe, but stick with me, on this one

Particulary,that old chesnut about the how fast the scenery going past observation......

many moons ago I used to race two wheelers which included a couple of years attempting to get around the TT production bike race... anyway the top engine tuner of the day just happened to be Deaf & Dumb a really top bloke called Witts.

I was having a discussion with him, with his son signing about a bike he had tuned for me, and told him it felt much quicker, he smiled and shook his head, and signed that in fact it was slower, due to the carburation being incorrect due to the weather conditions! the dyno had told him this on the morning, he said the only real way to guage the speed performance is by the clock or the dyno.......

As he pointed out to me, your body has no mechanism in it to assess relative linear motion, you have eyes and ears to try and make an assessment,in his case no hearing, just what he saw, but nothing else.

so with all due respect, try assessing your speed without referring to your speedo, while driving your car, it varies wildly from car to car and person to person........

What you are all basically saying is, I know my car is doing a ton plus because....this happens.....that happens...

yep it's called familiarity and cause and effect, not any ability to actually judge your real speed

I was passenger in a GT3 doing approximately 170mph down the muslanne straight last year, and to be honest did'nt realise that we were going that fast, until glancing over at the speedo, and subsequently cr*pp*ng myself........

So diatribe over, and you can all stop ZZZ.gifnow........

Totally agree LeMan! I've done this many times when joining a slip road..clear conditions, looking across, indicator on and foot down...before you know it, you're going faster than you think! This isn't to say that I think I'm going at the limit...I know I'm going over it, but sometimes it can be quite surprising just how much over it you are going (especially when accelerating quickly).

Oh and LeMan, I'm based near Chelmsford in Essex (just outside Maldon). Are you in Essex also?

Because I've driven an A3, there are lots of A3 owners on TSN too - and because you said it was because of the 3.2 engine in the A3 - so I'm relating it back to the A3.

However, I've also mentioned other cars that are a lot quieter and steadier at 120mph - to reference the fact that you still know you're doing 120mph!

If you are seriously trying to say that you maintain you can do 120mph in an A3 and 'not know it' then I'll quit this debate now, because it's not doing anywhere if that is the case.

[ QUOTE ]

When your gunning up a sliproad to join the motorway and you accellerate hard into the fast lane (in say 5th) and keep accelerating until your passing traffic, paying more attention to the road than your speedo. You think your doing about a ton, cause that's what a ton feels like in some other cars, but when you glance down it's nearer 115-120mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding me about actually pulling that sort of stunt aren't you? EEK2.GIF

Totally agree LeMan too! MrMe is just trying to hi-jack a thread and tell everybody he has a 6 series (ugly). We all know its so easy to creep over speed limits in a well built modern car. You just don't feel you are going as fast as you realy are, in a well sorted modern car.

Hey Leman & Chrisbuer 169144-ok.gif

Do you partake of the undertaking manouvre at 110 plus, when you get the nob in the cloth cap hogging the outside lane at 70, coz that is the maximum speed limit, which cannot be exceeded, so you are therefore not entitled to overtake me, fellow motorist....... johnny.......

I promise not to tell anyone, if you dont.............. SPericani2.gif