'96 A6 Quattro strut top mounts

DERVMonkey

I have a '96 A6 2.5tdi140 Quattro. When negotiating speed humps or bumpy roads I get a thump/knock which sounds as if it is coming from the drivers side wheel/bulkhead area. Also when travelling at anything over 20mph there is road noise from this area - more if the car is turning to the right. Someone has suggested this may be the strut top mount bush failing, if so is this a DIY job?? Do I have to remove the whole strut or can I replace it in situ?? Any replies would be appreciated.

Sounds like it might be the strut OR just the tie-rod knuckle thingy being knackered.

Not sure about replacing it in situ. If you are good at DIY, then yes, you can do it. If not, any tyre/exhaust outfit will be able to sort it.

Is your TDi Quattro auto or man? I could never find an auto one - hence I bought the 2.8 (30v) Q Auto instead.

i've had both tie rod ends replaced, the garage melted one trying to adjust it after using a heat gun on it which was nice!

The car's a 6 speed manual with leather and air-con, v rare in this country or so i believe - i've only ever seen one other for sale in 3 years of owning it.