• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 lmmlmmam

lmmlmmam

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

Seem to remember hearing somewhere that on 4WD vehicles you should replace all the rubber at the same time. Something about any big diffences in wear between front and back would put stress on the 4WD system.

Anyone know whether this is right (and applicable to quattro).

I've still got a bit of life left in the rears but the fronts have scrubbed the outside edges. Anyone else had that on their S4? Not sure if it's typical for S4s, my driving, wheel alignment or tyre pressures.

Your thoughts on the above will be much appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif
CabMac
Now Seal Grey Porsche Boxster S (987)

3rd Cab S4 Cab Brill Red...
2nd Cab - Gone: 3.0 Sport with toys
1st A4 Cab: 1.8T fairly plain

#2 Sparky

Sparky

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

Not sure if it's just a method to push revenues, but when I've taken mine (non quattro) to have new tyres, the first thing they've asked me is whether it's quattro or not.

When I've said no, they've replied with "good, otherwise we have to fit 4 new tyres".

They make it sound like it's required on them!

#3 curtaaron09

curtaaron09

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

Had an Audi 90 Quattro 20V sport a few years ago and I had to do the same. If they are near enough the same depth of tread it wont mater, but if you have new ones on the front and nearly worn out ones on the back then apparantly it will stress the diff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NONO3.GIF
How did I get round that bend??? Quattro thats how!!
A4 Quattro S-Line Special Edition

Drive It Like You Stole It!!!

#4 IanHo

IanHo

Mini Cooper S

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

How is the tyre wear on the Quattro, as it now looks like I'm having one?

I managed to get 27K out of my front wheel drive 1.8T 190 S line, changing them front to back at about 12.5K, obviously won't be doing that on the Quattro.
Audi S4 3.0 TFSI S tronic in Phantom Black
IanHo's S4

#5 curtaaron09

curtaaron09

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

Not too bad actually. cant give mileage but you dont spin the wheels as much so you should get longer out of them. It really depends on your driving stile. I drive like I stole it on country roads so I have to replace anyway. I think when all's done and dusted it will work out the same.
How did I get round that bend??? Quattro thats how!!
A4 Quattro S-Line Special Edition

Drive It Like You Stole It!!!

#6 lmmlmmam

lmmlmmam

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

Oh well, looks like a big bill then. Sort of want them all changing at the same time.

Wave goodbye to the Conti /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dung.gif Audi fit once for good.

Generally quattro wears fairly evenly, but there is still a bit of front bias, so keeping a careful eye on them and possible rotation is still recommended.

It'll have done about 15k by the time I change them. Not bad for Conti's but nothing like the Dunlops gave on my previous FWD 3.0 Cab.

#7 IanHo

IanHo

Mini Cooper S

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Cheers fellas the 235/40/18's cost me £600 to replace all 4 a couple of months ago and the Special Edition comes with the same size. So I could do with them lasting at least 20-25K. As you say with less wheel spin and the power spilt it shouldn’t be too bad + most of my driving is motorway.
Audi S4 3.0 TFSI S tronic in Phantom Black
IanHo's S4

#8 Tizzy

Tizzy

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

S4's apparently tend to wear the inside of the fronts first - mine did and so did a friend's & my local dealer confirmed this tendency. I guess it's the camber setting & engine weight. If I remember correctly Audi say there should be no more than 40% difference between front & rear tread depth on Quattro. I replaced all four conti's (which were rubbish grip wise) with Eagle F1 GSD3's about two months ago and it's really improved the car, both in terms of grip and less tyre-roar noise.
Temporarily back in the BMW camp with a 525d SE that doesn't even have leather........the shame

#9 marke

marke

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

What's the general opinion of Michelin Pilot Primacy / Pilot Sport tyres?

I have a 2.5TDi Quattro that has these on all 4 corners which will need replacing in 3/4 months, which equals a big bill. Costco have them for about £40 cheaper than Quickfit (£110 for 235/45 R17s) so they're top of the list at the mo'.
Arrived - Golf GT TDi 4-Motion
Gone - A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport (Black)

#10 Merlot

Merlot

Nissan GTR

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
S4's apparently tend to wear the inside of the fronts first - mine did and so did a friend's & my local dealer confirmed this tendency. I guess it's the camber setting & engine weight. If I remember correctly Audi say there should be no more than 40% difference between front & rear tread depth on Quattro. I replaced all four conti's (which were rubbish grip wise) with Eagle F1 GSD3's about two months ago and it's really improved the car, both in terms of grip and less tyre-roar noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree with the wear comment but as for the grip, I find the Contis' very good. They do have terrible roar on some surfaces though.
Maserati GranTurismo GTS Auto

#11 Scotty

Scotty

Ooh we can change our Member Titles!

• Members
  • 17,698 posts
  • Location'arlow & London

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fully agree with the wear comment but as for the grip, I find the Contis' very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Compared with what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Audi B8 A4 Avant 2.0T FSI quattro S-Line Executive
Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

Suzuki GSX-R1000 (Road / Track bike)

#12 BenjaminTDI

BenjaminTDI

BMW 330d

• Members
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fully agree with the wear comment but as for the grip, I find the Contis' very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Compared with what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Remoulds? 30 quid a pop? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yelrotflmao.gif

#13 edo

edo

Mitsubishi Evo X

• Members
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

My S4 is wearing the fronts on the outside edge - is this normal?

#14 Scotty

Scotty

• Members
  • 17,698 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:26 PM

Mine wears the shoulders but only if I haven't put enough air in before a trackday.

#15 CabGirl

CabGirl

Lady Penelope

• Members
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

The fronts wear at the edges if they're a bit low on air - they have to be 41 at the front and 35 (I think) at the back.
Any more tea in the pot...?

#16 Dave

Dave

Just For Me

• Administrators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

That's interesting.. I thought my RS6 was the same pressure all round??.. can't remember now..

I thought quattro has the same pressures on Torsion and different on Haldex?

I am wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 Scotty

Scotty

• Members
  • 17,698 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

I'm not sure whether Edowen has a cab, saloon or avant and it seems they vary as CG's at 41/35 and my saloon is 39/39.

#18 lmmlmmam

lmmlmmam

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yeh 41/36 is right for the Cab.

I reckon under inflation has probably been the cause of my worn front shoulders.

I guess the the inflation pressures have more to do with weight distribution than quattro/haldex.

#19 CabGirl

CabGirl

Lady Penelope

• Members
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

My fronts were reading 3-5-3 after 7,500 miles and the dealer said it was under-inflation.

Oops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/suicide.gif
Any more tea in the pot...?

#20 lmmlmmam

lmmlmmam

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

I'm feeling a big sick about it as well.

I read UBM's PV=mRT post as well but hadn't checked mine since summer and the whole car was around 5psi low.

An expensive mistake. But the up side is ta ta Conti's hello Goodyear, which will probably last me as long as I own the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users