DVD Review: The Island

NewNiceMrMe

I bought this film on Saturday and watched it last night.

For those that don't know (and I hadn't even heard of it), it stars Ewan McGregor and Scarlet Johansson (and I can now see what people rave about).

I'm not going to waste any time getting to the point on this one. This is quite simply the best film I have seen in a long time.

It's not the most flaw-proof and for the first 45 minutes to an hour you might be thinking it's a bit boring - but it still had me engrossed from start to finish.

It's a Science Fiction film that takes a plot that isn't new, has been tried before, but it pulls it off with incredible aplomb and even my wife commented that she doesn't remember me commenting on a film so much.

Sean Bean is once again cast in the evil blokes role - as Dr Merrick. The rest of acting cast are pretty much unknowns, but the budget for this film must have been significant because some of the sci-fi scenes are completely stunning.

The flaws are small, but as it's set in 2019 and you see hover-trains and space-like vehicles flying around Los Angeles I was a bit surprised to see a Mazda RX-8 and an MX-5 parked up too....but I guess Mazda have played a sponsorship role somewhere.

Anyway - there is another major reason for every TSN-er to buy this film.

THE CAR CHASES.

These have, sorry to say, confined Ronin to No.2 spot in my all time favourites list now. They were referred to on the cover of the DVD but I didn't expect much, especially after the let down of the cover titles from The Devils Rejects.

Oh no - they're true alright. Scenes of cars chasing Lincoln Echo Six and Jordan Two Delta (McGregor and Johanssons characters) on a truck are by far and away the best I have ever seen - especially for the impact of the crashes. Even the BMW chase in Mr & Mrs Smith looks silly compared to this (thought it's not, and very good indeed).

The Black Wasps are fantastic and I want one!

If you watch it and don't try picking holes in the plot all the way through (which I think you could if you really wanted to) then you're in for 2 hours of what, in my opinion, DVD viewing should be all about.....enjoyment.

I just wish I had seen this at the Cinema - because the chase and action scenes must have been unbelieveable on the big screen.

No hesitation with the scoring on this one.

Score: 9/10

[ QUOTE ]

Chris,

You forgot Ewan punching the snot out of himself in that monster Chrysler show car with the v12... That was quite a good scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, well pointed out! I couldn't really fathom how the hell they could get that done without there being any apparent glitches or giveaways. The angles are very clever and at no point could you really say 'He's not him', if you understand what I mean!

I still think the way in which the set of loco wheels stopped the last truck was sheer brilliance. Has there ever been a faster travelling truck stop so suddenly and be seen to have the devastating impact it did? I couldn't help but think...'Hmm, bet they didn't want to have to do a Take Two on that one....'!

[ QUOTE ]

The flaws are small, but as it's set in 2019 and you see hover-trains and space-like vehicles flying around Los Angeles I was a bit surprised to see a Mazda RX-8 and an MX-5 parked up too....but I guess Mazda have played a sponsorship role somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Did you not spot the copious number of BMW 6 Series lurking in the background of that film? 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif I saw it the other night and thought it was fantastic !

grin.gif For me the most desirable thing in the film, even more so than Miss Johansson is the Wally Power 118 - It fits in perfectly with the year 2019 but is on sale today notworthy.gif