Z4 2nd hand prices

Calm Chris

• 9 months later...

The residuals are absolutely horrendous on Z4s.

We are trying to shift my wifes 04 3.0se, its got the Msport leather bucket memory seats (Now deleted option), 18" wheels, factory fit alpina wind deflector, park sensors, fully loaded.

Just spoke to a garage they wont even take it as a trade in against a 911, book value is £21,000 without the extras, they reckon I would be lucky to get £18,000 IF someone would take it as a trade in.

WIth the toys this car cost over £33,000 new its only 2years old and has done 6000 miles !

£15,000 in 2 years dosnt look like BMW are doing to well with the Z4. Its a lovely car and extremely fast. I think we will end up keeping it now with that sort of drop, its almost not worth selling it for £18,000.....

[ QUOTE ]

The residuals are absolutely horrendous on Z4s.

I think we will end up keeping it now with that sort of drop, its almost not worth selling it for £18,000.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried Autotrader? Don't be too disheartened, trade offers are always like that. If you don't need to sell it, and just fancy a change of cars, then like you say you are better off keeping it for a bit longer, at least until the Spring when the demand is a bit higher.

Mike.

• 6 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

WIth the toys this car cost over £33,000 new its only 2years old and has done 6000 miles !

£15,000 in 2 years dosnt look like BMW are doing to well with the Z4. Its a lovely car and extremely fast. I think we will end up keeping it now with that sort of drop, its almost not worth selling it for £18,000.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think BMW shot themselves in the foot with the Z4. My friend brought a 2.5 SE on launch day, fully loaded for approx 34K. He sold it three years on for 18K.

The trouble is BMW brought out the 2.2, which came out considerably cheaper, and then the 2.0, which might have been good for new car sales, but killed off the second hand market - for what is a very good car with an amazing chassis

BMW UK are the ones fecking up the UK market at the moment, they are running so many cars and then putting them back into dealer netwrks at silly prices it is untrue.

I was talking about coupes yesterday to one of the bmw finance guys and he showed me that there was 6 Z4M coupes available at the moment at under £30k, these are 6 month old sub 5k mile cars with everything on them and would have cost £45k. There were 3 3.0 coupes available to dealers at under £26k again with everything on them, that would have been £40k.

More important to alot of us, the 335d's and i's have just been dropped from £31500 to £29000, this is only on the internal system and they would need to go up to retail around £4k more than this, but like he said, when I was speaking to him last week about trading in the 335i for an M3 he had, his trade in value of £31500 was based on him being able to get get a car like mine from BMW HQ for that money, now he can buy the same car for £29k that is all he would pay for mine.

He really isn't sure what BMW are playing at? He said he could sell my car all day long for £35k, but because others will have them up for £33k soon he won't be able to.

[ QUOTE ]

BMW UK are the ones fecking up the UK market at the moment, they are running so many cars and then putting them back into dealer netwrks at silly prices it is untrue.

I was talking about coupes yesterday to one of the bmw finance guys and he showed me that there was 6 Z4M coupes available at the moment at under £30k, these are 6 month old sub 5k mile cars with everything on them and would have cost £45k. There were 3 3.0 coupes available to dealers at under £26k again with everything on them, that would have been £40k.

More important to alot of us, the 335d's and i's have just been dropped from £31500 to £29000, this is only on the internal system and they would need to go up to retail around £4k more than this, but like he said, when I was speaking to him last week about trading in the 335i for an M3 he had, his trade in value of £31500 was based on him being able to get get a car like mine from BMW HQ for that money, now he can buy the same car for £29k that is all he would pay for mine.

He really isn't sure what BMW are playing at? He said he could sell my car all day long for £35k, but because others will have them up for £33k soon he won't be able to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats scary Z4's droping 15k in 6mths pity those who have just bought them new. suicide.gif

As you say them dropping there prices on the 335's is bad as alot of people on here are moving into them, quite scary what they can get them for but on the other hand your mates saying they will still sell at good price so demand must be there, suppose the extra cash will just go dealers pocket. openfire.gif

Exactly, although they are never going to pay more than they can buy one from BMW UK, so we get fecked over come trade in time, but as long as they keep retail prices at decent levels it doesn't matter as much if you can be bothered to sell priavtely. But you know what will happen, one dealer will be happy to make £1500 and you will see a new retail price point of £32k, that is when we are all fecked!!

Considering the 335i engine is looking at a 16 week build at the moment why discount the few used ones that are floating around? Doesn't make sense to me.

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly, although they are never going to pay more than they can buy one from BMW UK, so we get fecked over come trade in time, but as long as they keep retail prices at decent levels it doesn't matter as much if you can be bothered to sell priavtely. But you know what will happen, one dealer will be happy to make £1500 and you will see a new retail price point of £32k, that is when we are all fecked!!

Considering the 335i engine is looking at a 16 week build at the moment why discount the few used ones that are floating around? Doesn't make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the prices that they can now have the cars for from BMW is going to start affecting all the cars, they have more room to move now on the price so the only way is down. Flush.gif

Think the delay with the 335i engines will help a little. 169144-ok.gif

Selling that price of car on the open market isnt to easy lots of people prefer to shop at the dealer in that price range, plus most will be using finance.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is that BMW are a volume manufacturer, but with a prestige badge. They are still looking for volume, but trying to maintain the whole prestige/quality/engineered badge that they have worked for so long to achieve. However that clearly means the "bread and butter" cars are never going to hold strong residuals down the line as long as they dump cars into the franchise system.

They drive this by giving almost everyone in the organisation (from Directors down to the valet guys at Thorne-yes really..) somewhere between 3 and 8 company cars a year that then get sold into the dealers at BMW closed auctions in bacthes of 5/10/20/50/100 etc

I think that the business manager you spoke to was being a little pessimistic Guy, and was really trying to justify the low bid on your 335i Touring in truth. Given the supply issues with the 335 engine now I just don't see prices folding as they are in strong demand relative to supply.

Gareth

Exactly, although they are never going to pay more than they can buy one from BMW UK

Don't agree at all Guy. If they have a car they want to sell you (with profit in it) and they need to "play ball" on yours to get a deal going....why would they not unless the numbers are just miles apart??

The real issue here is the 335i or 335d don't yet book in Glasses so you are at the mercy of BMW UK and more particuarly the dealership you are negotiating with.

If your dealer reckons he can buy your exact spec of car for £29k then tell him get on with it and buy as many as he can-and then you'll not buy his M3 anyway!! He would only get really cheap cars out of BMW UK when he buys the larger "parcels" of cars i.e. 50/100/200 - which very few BMW dealers actually do these days.

Want me to put a bat up his nightdress for you? smashfreakB.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

To be honest, taking the M3 out again got it out of my system, it made me realise that things have really moved on with the E9X platform and going back to an E46 would probably be a let down unless it was another CSL, and with my mileage that is not going to happen.

[ QUOTE ]

The real issue here is the 335i or 335d don't yet book in Glasses so you are at the mercy of BMW UK and more particuarly the dealership you are negotiating with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The prices are on glasses website are they not.

But think your right in the demand for that engine should kee the prices firm for now.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

To be honest, taking the M3 out again got it out of my system, it made me realise that things have really moved on with the E9X platform and going back to an E46 would probably be a let down unless it was another CSL, and with my mileage that is not going to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

just get the map to keep you happy for a little while more. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But think your right in the demand for that engine should kee the prices firm for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea if the 335 is on the Glasses website now. Even if it is that is the consumer, not Trade, website guide so not what the trade work to, which is the key driving factor. Therefore it's one level up from the the loo paper that is Parkers Guide!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloody told you that Guy!!!

Great car the E46 M3 but it's just not the freshest/best car out there now. You would have bought one and sold after weeks.....like the S4....ahem... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea if the 335 is on the Glasses website now. Even if it is that is the consumer, not Trade, website guide so not what the trade work to, which is the key driving factor. Therefore it's one level up from the the loo paper that is Parkers Guide!!

[/ QUOTE ]

no the trade makeup there own rules & prices. mad.gif

I must admit it is shocking the amount the Z4M has dropped since last year, limited numbers come in but what seems to be a fair few demo/BMW employee driven cars that have come into the used market and dealers wanting to get rid has driven the price down quite alarmingly...

I am not too concerned as I have always worked on keeping the car for three years or more, and with production due to stop and numbers limited, I am hopeful that the prices will firm up and remain fairly stable in the next 18 months.

I cant see them dropping like they have in the next 12 months so you have two year old cars at 20K? Just would not fit in with the rest of the market?

What you think Gareth?

J