8 Months later...

rogerlomman

Well, I think I've set a record for the longest wait taking delivery today 8 Months to the day from order. After months of biting my tongue when others complained of 12 week waits I finally have my hands on the keys.

Car was delivered with all the right bits (bottle opener, leather bound manual, full tank of 98) and I even got a cleaning kit with leather conditioner for the seats. Also did a deal for free window tinting which is handy today (current outside temp is 37.3 C) and does look good against the black.

Only surprise is that the Oz DSG cars no longer ship with the open vents (get the UK spec blank ones) but I can confirm we still get launch control (tested purely for your information of course). Dealer confirmed that current orders won't deliver until November so glad I got in early!

Took the long way back to work via the hills (just to make sure everything worked, you understand) and to remember why I bought this car. It's been so long since the test drive that I forgot how easy it is to speed in this thing (esp with 60kph limits) and the ride is a little firmer than I remember but it's all good.

Plan to get some serious miles in over the weekend and hope to post some pics of exotic Australia (or failing that, Adelaide).

Thanks guys for helping keep the faith, without TSN'ers I think I would have succumbed to the Monaro months ago.

ha.gif

Roger

Will keep an eye out for you. The waiting list here is getting ridiculous. I am thinking that I am going to wait and see if an Anniversary edition comes out at the end of the year. Enjoy your new car!

Jeremy

PS roads should be nice and sticky today (38.3 as I write this)! Not good for the turbo though.

Congratulations Clubman! I'm extremely jealous. Unfortunately I think that I'm going to break your 8 month record as I ordered on 3 June and I'm now told that my GTI should be delivered during the last week of February. Have fun - I'm sure I will when I finally get my hands on the keys.

Well finally there Roger. You will appreciate driving it every morning and night, especially the track you have to take to and from work. Won't be surprised if you start expanding the journey as you have a few choices - Greenhill Road, Norton Summit as well as Gorge Road. All are excellent roads for the GTI. My son tested the Polo GTi before he ordered it going up Norton Summit - as a passenger I was quite impressed and the way he drove it, there is no way he is getting my keys.

Enjoy it and hopefully we will catch up at some stage, maybe after Bill has run in his WRX and we could have a comparison meet.

Enjoy the drive and just remeber cooler weather and even more impressive performance is around the corner.

These were taken on Checker Hill Road (Kersbrook - Foreston) about 2 mins from my place. Only a short one (about 3 kms but very steep incline and decline at each end with a nice run along the ridge in the middle.

It's my usual "around the block" route. Wanted to get the sunset, running late as usual and this is highest spot around.

[ QUOTE ]

Its official. The dealer here rang me yesterday to tell me that if I order a GTI today I will be receiving it in NOVEMBER! Not impressed... second hand may be the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's ok, should keep used prices high cool.gif

Jeremy, phone around, it varies hugely between dealer groups.

I bought my GTI from a dealer a 140 miles away... brilliant service (apart from a few hiccups) and no different to buying it locally. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...(apart from a few hiccups)...

[/ QUOTE ] LeMan you were having kittens for a week yelrotflmao.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, oh how we forget the pain! crazy.gif

to be fair though, it wasn't the dealers fault... and i knew that.

Bit more info would have been nice, but in reflection (with a cool head) VW Germany were the guilty party. Hanging onto my car for weeks without so much as a sniff of information. The dealer, myself and VW UK were all powerless to do anything! smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

that's ok, should keep used prices high cool.gif

Jeremy, phone around, it varies hugely between dealer groups.

I bought my GTI from a dealer a 140 miles away... brilliant service (apart from a few hiccups) and no different to buying it locally. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not so easy here, we only have one dealer in the state so the next one is 800kms away.

One of the members here GTICrow did just that and cut the wait to a few months but it's not really an option for most of us. It think the waits are very similar througout Australia as the dealers don't have individual allocation as such as the whole country has only 500 units per year available. First in best dressed I think.

Can anyone tell me if the towbar I have is the same as the European spec? When ordering the only images I could find showed the tow ball extending from under the rear apron without cutting the valance but the one I have has a removable tongue that required a hole to be cut.

Can anyone confirm this? It looks factory as the tongue has a space in the share wheel well.

680072-DSC02249.JPG

680072-DSC02252.JPG

680072-DSC02250.JPG

Oh, and this is all the cleaning stuff that came with the car.

680072-DSC02246.JPG