HOW TO: Retrofit Ambient Interior Lighting

BenjaminTDI

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, So I am going to have a go at the rear ambient lighting!. Got the unit off today and had a good poke around, found the lighting feed wire(switched with the lights). Going to have to drill holes and use super glue to fasten the module in the rear unit. There is space but some soldering is also required to pick up the right feed.

Will post pics when(if!) done...

[ QUOTE ]

OK, So I am going to have a go at the rear ambient lighting!. Got the unit off today and had a good poke around, found the lighting feed wire(switched with the lights). Going to have to drill holes and use super glue to fasten the module in the rear unit. There is space but some soldering is also required to pick up the right feed.

Will post pics when(if!) done...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, took my rear lamp out last night. I've cut the OE front LED down so it'll fit inside the lamp unit. Now I've got to drill the holes.....SAUER0421.GIF

If I get time I'll finish it off tonight.............

BUB beerchug.gif

there is no such thing as ambient lighting in the rear; its a diy job, and yes the leds probably will be all over the place!. To be honest, looking at the module, there is nothing stopping you using standard bright led's in s casing with the in line resistor.. would probably be cheaper overall too..

[ QUOTE ]

there is no such thing as ambient lighting in the rear; its a diy job, and yes the leds probably will be all over the place!. To be honest, looking at the module, there is nothing stopping you using standard bright led's in s casing with the in line resistor.. would probably be cheaper overall too..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on the case '911 169144-ok.gif

I thought about doing a full DIY job but thanks to Nelson we now all have the part number for the real thing. At least you know they should last and it's only a tenner.....

If you look at the LED module one goes straight down and one is at a slight angle, I'm going to set the angled one to shine to the rear. I think they'll be fine.

Should look OEM like this............ 169144-ok.gif

712326-51_1_b.jpg

Now I've just got to mark and drill the holes! SAUER0421.GIF

BUB wink.gif

post-5262-13791434622_thumb.jpg

I think the whole OEM rear lighting thing was started when there were some units on german ebay. A couple of people emailed the seller and he had DIY'd them.

I think the consensus of opinion was that even the new b7 with light pack did not have ambient light in the back even though we thought it originally did...

But then again, I think Nelson works for Audi so maybe he knows best!, my etka only goes up to 2005..

• 8 months later...