MP3 CD for RCD500

jcoles7

I went for the Alpine CDA-9853R with an iPod adapter - not top of the Alpine range, but not bottom either. I liked the look of the unit, it sounded fine on demo, and the iPod adapter was what convinced me. Of course, this was in the bad old days before VW discovered the mp3 format. Last summer in fact. Let me know if you need any more info.

I got a Phatnoise MP3 player from the States for £120, installed it under the passenger seat and the RCD300 treats it like a Multidisk changer.

The sound quality I find very good, the radio still sounds crap but I never listen to that anymore.

I upgraded the Harddisk to 40gb so 10000 tracks should keep me going cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Red - any Radio/CD recommendations would be appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

As AlanH says: A first stage would be to change the Head Unit and then subsequently decide if you want new speakers.

Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood all offer high quality products. You don't have to include SatNav as I did. Here's an old thread: link

I'm reviewing my options for upgrading the audio in the GTI also. To me it is a big disappointment after the Bose (amp+sub) setup in the Alfa. Oh well.

I really want to keep the OEM look if at all possible. Once you've got a standard DIN head unit in the car it needs to be removed everytime you park the car in public. Been there, done that and it's a pain.

My understanding is the RCD500 has pre-outs which may be able to be utilised out to an amp which could drive the existing speakers, or alternatively upgraded speakers and maybe a small tube sub.

If anyone has undertaken this kind of project I'd be keen to hear how it went!

Interestingly, and perhaps it just my imagination, but the audio quality seems to be vastly better off the iPod through the VW iPod connector than off the CD.

Jono

[ QUOTE ]

I have the DVD Sat Nav with 6 CD changer in mine and I have to say that the sound quality is very good and compares favourably with BOSE and Harman Kardon in other cars.

Going aftermarket involves loosing functionality in the FIS and other areas and inevitably looks less integrated although you do gain the ability to play MP3 CDs. Connection of an IPOD is possible but in order to display the track names/playlist e.t.c. I'd have to connect it to the CD changer connection - I'm currently working out how to connect an IPOD to the AUX connector on the headunit and giving me IPOD charging capabilties. Lookw like I need a Dietz connector to connect to the rear of the Sat Nav unit and a Pocket dock with USB and line out to the IPOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if you've seen this.

ENFIG_MK5_NAV_IPOD.jpg

Link

Will allow you to connect an I-pod to the Aux input of a Nav unit, still keep the CD changer in the armrest.

The only thing is it's only an Audio input, there is no control of the I-pod.

I was thinking if you put the I-pod in the sliding cupholderthing where the bottle opener is you could use the controls on the I-pod anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have the DVD Sat Nav with 6 CD changer in mine and I have to say that the sound quality is very good and compares favourably with BOSE and Harman Kardon in other cars.

Going aftermarket involves loosing functionality in the FIS and other areas and inevitably looks less integrated although you do gain the ability to play MP3 CDs. Connection of an IPOD is possible but in order to display the track names/playlist e.t.c. I'd have to connect it to the CD changer connection - I'm currently working out how to connect an IPOD to the AUX connector on the headunit and giving me IPOD charging capabilties. Lookw like I need a Dietz connector to connect to the rear of the Sat Nav unit and a Pocket dock with USB and line out to the IPOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if you've seen this.

ENFIG_MK5_NAV_IPOD.jpg

Link

Will allow you to connect an I-pod to the Aux input of a Nav unit, still keep the CD changer in the armrest.

The only thing is it's only an Audio input, there is no control of the I-pod.

I was thinking if you put the I-pod in the sliding cupholderthing where the bottle opener is you could use the controls on the I-pod anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting ajwo, very interesting.

The TV cuts out over 3mph, does the ipod link do the same.