Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StellarYear

Oil Change Question

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have an oil change question...I own a 2001 VW Passat and it is often very difficult for me to be able to make an appointment with the VW dealership b/c they are so backed up. They tell me the next available appointment is in about a month (I was trying to coincide the oil change with the 40K mile milestone appointment).

I cannot wait that long to get an oil change but they also insist that I should not get an oil change from say the local Mobil b/c they (VW) use special oil which was meant to work with the Passat.

Is this for real or are they blowing smoke at me? Any help to a guy that knows very little about cars is greatly appreciated.

Pak

Hmmmm, dont get me wrong, the Passat is a special vehicle. However, for VW to suggest that a special oil is needed is way off the mark.

As usual, capitalist greed is the reasoning behind this suggestion. VW and the rest are trying to monopolise the market, by insisting you need 'special' oil.

Go to your local garage and ask for an oil change, or do it yourself. If you are particular about the oil used, go and buy it from VW first, or look in your Passat manual.

I still can not believe this, its like 'Hobbs' (who make kettles)saying "yer, great kettle but you need special Hobbs water for it" - tell me this doesnt sound ridiculous.

Thanks will2000! I suspected as much and since I don't know a lot about cars I just wasn't 100% sure.

Have a great fourth of July.